🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 133 - The Quest

I'm currently going through Jonah Raydio and The Indoor Kids. Both of which are currently on hiatus until their work lives calm down so it's much easier to catch up.

But I've still been considering downloading Who Charted and I Was There Too and adding that to my long ass list of podcasts.

• Like 1

4) You Must Remember This

I really want to give this a shot once my backlog is clear.

I've been listening to YMRT since it debuted, and it's one of the few shows for which I'll drop everything as soon as a new episode arrives. (The others include Doughboys, Bodega Boys, and The Allusionist.) If nothing else, it has ringing endorsements from film obsessees Patton Oswalt and Dana Gould (around 05:30.)

As far as backlogs go, I started listening to Answer Me This in December and finished the free episodes, so I'm now working my way through their 200-episode paid archive at a rate of around 10/week.

I've also listened to a large chunk of Freakonomics Radio, which I find to be far more satisfying than Question of The Day because Dubner actually has a chance to provide answers to the questions he poses.

• Like 2

Can we please get back to talking about man buns?

5IwlQOy.jpg

Personally, I was hoping for some more Dick pics...

Here's mine!

dick_grayson___nightwing_by_nikitastewart-d8nxkvd.png

• Like 2

I know that Punch Out has been brought up as inspiration for this, and maybe it seems so obvious because of the JCVD connection but honestly I got a Street Fighter II (in a quasi realistic manner) vibe from a lot of the fighters. The Spanish guy seemed like Vega without claws or a mask, the Japanese guy obviously E. Honda and the Brazillian Guy seemed like a pre-transformation Blanka.

Yeah, it was almost like JCVD saw how poorly his Street Fighter turned out (though it was profitable) and wanted to make his own version of it. Hell, if you just changed the names of the characters in The Quest to Street Fighter videogame character names, it would probably be more of a "Street Fighter" movie than the actual Street Fighter movie.

• Like 2

I've been listening to YMRT since it debuted, and it's one of the few shows for which I'll drop everything as soon as a new episode arrives. (The others include Doughboys, Bodega Boys, and The Allusionist.) If nothing else, it has ringing endorsements from film obsessees Patton Oswalt and Dana Gould (around 05:30.)

That's it, you just pushed it to my queue.

I've also listened to a large chunk of Freakonomics Radio, which I find to be far more satisfying than Question of The Day because Dubner actually has a chance to provide answers to the questions he poses.

And less Backgammon talk on Freakonomics (I like QOD though. I think Altucher is interesting)

• Like 1

My current catch-ups:

1) Blank Check - David Sims (film critic for The Atlantic and formerly for AV Club) and actor Griffin Newman started the podcast as a way of analyzing the Star Wars prequels as films in their own merit. The first miniseries was simply asking, "What is The Phantom Menace about?" They actually give some quality analysis and helped me see some things in the prequels that I had never picked up on, and - most importantly - it's not just bashing on the prequels, which is a pretty tired schtick, as we've talked about on these very forums. After making their way through the Star Wars films, they switched gears and decided to focus on filmmakers who, like George Lucas, were incredibly successful early in their career and allowed to do pretty much whatever they wanted afterwards. They're currently almost done with M Night Shyamalan's filmography, and I'm not sure what's up next, but it's been a lot of fun catching up on this one.

2. Black Men Can't Jump (in Hollywood) - I actually found out about this one because David and Griffin mentioned it during their episode on The Force Awakens. This podcast reviews movies with POC leads and talks a lot about representation. I've only listened to a couple episodes so far, but the live Hancock episode is pretty excellent.

Backlog:

Reply All

The Worst Idea of All Time

I Was There Too (I've listened to some of them, but I'm REALLY far behind)

Beautiful Stories (this one just started, but I love the premise, and I need to get on it before it gets too far along)

Also, this seems like as good a time as any to bring up Lexi Alexander's appearance on Fatman on Batman last week. I don't recall it having come up in another thread yet, but it's delightful. I'm not a big Kevin Smith fan, so I tend to avoid this podcast, but I couldn't resist Lexi talking about Punisher in the new Daredevil series (also, Smith's not in this episode).

Blank Check sounds cool! Actually, both sound pretty great, I'll have to check them out.

As far as Fatman on Batman...I like it. It is the only one of his podcasts I actually listen to. I'm not sure what to say about Kevin Smith really. I think I like him more as a personality than a film maker. I think there's something endearing about how much he cares about comics and pop culture. I think I may have liked FMoBM a little more when he was just doing interviews with creators, and I particularly liked the episodes where he just read a couple of his favorite issues--crying, of course. That being said, he does have a tendency to prattle on and on and repeat himself, so I can see why he can grate on one's nerves.

I guess I like him since he comes of pretty genuine, he steers clear of bad mouthing pretty much anything (sometimes to a ridiculous degree), and generally, seems like the type of guy I could just geek out on different nerdy topics.

I'm currently going through Jonah Raydio and The Indoor Kids. Both of which are currently on hiatus until their work lives calm down so it's much easier to catch up.

But I've still been considering downloading Who Charted and I Was There Too and adding that to my long ass list of podcasts.

I love I Was There Too, I think it's the only Wolfpop show I have actually stuck with. What's amazing to me, is the episodes featuring guests I feel like I'll care the least about are some of my favorites. The Stephen Tobolowsky Groundhog Day episode is one of my favorites. Much more interesting than I thought it would be.

Yeah, all I've listened to so far of YMRT are the two most recent episodes about Chaplin--which I just tried out to see if I'd like it Once that arc wraps up, I'm going to have to start playing catch up. What I've heard so far has been pretty great.

• Like 1

I love I Was There Too, I think it's the only Wolfpop show I have actually stuck with. What's amazing to me, is the episodes featuring guests I feel like I'll care the least about are some of my favorites. The Stephen Tobolowsky Groundhog Day episode is one of my favorites. Much more interesting than I thought it would be.

Have you tried Maltin on Movies? I really look forward to it now because Baron and Leonard are so genuine with their recommendations. I've seen a ton more movies that I've never heard of before that really should be crazy popular. Plus they never fail to make me laugh.

• Like 2

Have you tried Maltin on Movies? I really look forward to it now because Baron and Leonard are so genuine with their recommendations. I've seen a ton more movies that I've never heard of before that really should be crazy popular. Plus they never fail to make me laugh.

I have not. I should remedy that. :)

• Like 1

(I like QOD though. I think Altucher is interesting)

It seems like he's so entrenched in the financial industry that he no longer understands what it is to be human. "I wanted to challenge social norms today, so I laid down on the sidewalk and pretended to be homeless." What?

My worldview radically changed when I realized this:

stephenjames5712.jpg

oh-hello-nick-kroll-john-mulaney.jpeg

• Like 5

I have been afraid of listening to Maltin on Movies because I would be scared that my "To Watch" list would grow out of control.

That said, I recently started listening to one called The Cinema Show on Monocle 24. It's short (30 minutes), well produced, has lots of English accents and takes a Criterion-esque high brow approach. It is nice to throw something that focuses more on those types of movies along with HDTGM and Doug Loves Movies.

• Like 2

I guess a catch-up, I've been listening to Decoder Ring Theatre, a podcast that does shows in the style of old fashioned radio plays.

I've recently finished all the currently released ones of the pulp hard boiled detective series Black Jack Justice, which was really good. Can't say I like their other show, The Red Panda Adventures, nearly as much though. Its OK, I guess, its like a more lighthearted and Canadian version of The Shadow, performances are OK but its not really my thing.

They only come out once a month though, and tend to alternate between Black Jack Justice and Red Panda Adventures, with some side stuff coming in the middle of the month sometimes, so theres not a huuge amount of content that comes out regularly, but its all well acted and a lot of effort has clearly been put into it.

• Like 1

It seems like he's so entrenched in the financial industry that he no longer understands what it is to be human. "I wanted to challenge social norms today, so I laid down on the sidewalk and pretended to be homeless." What?

The dude wears a lab coat, carries a waiter pad and hands out $2 bills. He's definitely an oddball. Still I find his oddball view interesting if nothing else.

I love the Speed episode. I need to get back into it. Even though there are a bunch I missed out on, I did listen to the first half of the most recent one, which was the live show from the JoCo cruise with Aimee Mann and PFT. I just thought it was funny that they had Aimee Mann on to talk about The Big Lebowski, which Paul has repeatedly referred to as "overrated."

• Like 1

I have been afraid of listening to Maltin on Movies because I would be scared that my "To Watch" list would grow out of control.

That said, I recently started listening to one called The Cinema Show on Monocle 24. It's short (30 minutes), well produced, has lots of English accents and takes a Criterion-esque high brow approach. It is nice to throw something that focuses more on those types of movies along with HDTGM and Doug Loves Movies.

It will definitely grow out of control lol, but embrace it. Luckily they also talk about a movie they plead people not to see so it'll be good to cross some off your list as well lol.

• Like 2

I'm ashamed to admit that I forgot my favorite new podcast, Cameron H and Fister Roboto's U Talkin' Tayloranne 2 Me. It's an aftershow that covers the goings-on in the HDTGM forum, for anyone intimidated by 10+ pages of corrections and omissions and dick pics.

• Like 5

Can we please get back to talking about man buns?

5IwlQOy.jpg

What about June Diane Raphael's hot baby buns.?

28iq902.jpg

That's married life for ya.

• Like 5

I would like to take this opportunity to promote the podcast of Kermode and Mayo's Film Show on BBC Radio. It's a straight film review show once a week - so it would be a bit of sync with US releases. But the presenters bounce off each other really well, and Mark Kermode is a very good reviewer (and delivers some awesome rants about films that he especially hates. Google Kermode Review Sex And The City 2).

• Like 1

anyone want to see Jason Mantzoukas smoking hot ready buns?

2utj4so.jpg

It's everything I've ever wanted in my life! <3

It will definitely grow out of control lol, but embrace it. Luckily they also talk about a movie they plead people not to see so it'll be good to cross some off your list as well lol.

I'll tell you what would happen would be that if they pled me to not watch a movie and it was not on my watch list, it would get added.

I'll tell you what would happen would be that if they pled me to not watch a movie and it was not on my watch list, it would get added.

Okay but I should warn you that one of the bad movies they covered was "The Other Woman" and I watched it and fuck they were so right that wasn't even worth the time and I just felt angry afterwards.

(pleading was an exaggeration but they do recommend you save yourself and not watch the turkey they cover lol)

Omission: I'm surprised you guys didn't talk about the sumo wrestler's titty jiggle/waterbed sound effects that accompanied almost every one of his movements. I was also a big fan of the shot of the two fat sumo kids that accompanied him to the tournament. Come to think of it, he was probably the most nuanced fighter in the film, and that is saying very little.

• Like 1

Omission: I'm surprised you guys didn't talk about the sumo wrestler's titty jiggle/waterbed sound effects that accompanied almost every one of his movements. I was also a big fan of the shot of the two fat sumo kids that accompanied him to the tournament. Come to think of it, he was probably the most nuanced fighter in the film, and that is saying very little.

The jiggle sound game was strongest during Japan Vs. Mongolia, with that Five point palm exploding heart technique to dem moobies.

Correction: It would take JCVD only 2 months to get from New York to Thailand.

Assuming they went through the Suez Canal, it's about 12,120 nautical miles from New York to Bangkok.

I know they didn't go to Bangkok, but I felt like making it that distance covers every island 'near Siam' they could be going to. In the 1920s Thailand included Cambodia as a vassal state, so the secret island could be as far away as Phu Quoc, I think it's more likely to be somewhere in the Andaman Sea - Bangkok more or less splits the difference.

I estimate the speed of the boat to be about 9 knots.

I'm not sure what sort of boat they were travelling in. But I thought it looked a lot like the SS St Fergus, which was a cargo ship built in 1913 (I think gun runners/pirates are probably not getting a brand new ship). The St Fergus was a steam ship, but we don't see JCVD shoveling coal and I doubt that opportunity to flex (with all the sweat and the coal dust) would have been missed, so I've assumed that the ship was diesel.

The 1910s-built diesel ships of the East Asiatic Company (A Danish company that had cargo ships in and out of Bangkok in the 1910/20s) had an average service speed of 11 knots. These were well maintained and properly crewed ships, though. So I've made it 9 knots to account for lack of engine maintenance and also to account for the size of the ship. It's pretty small compared to other ocean crossing cargo ships of its day. The St Fergus sailed around the UK and Ireland, it didn't cross the Atlantic.

So, 12,120 nautical miles at an average speed of 9 knots is 57 days, add in 3/4 days for refueling stops and that makes it approximately 2 months.

• Like 2

For a second I thought this week's episode was about the 1986 Australian movie about a kid trying to find out the mystery of a "monster" that lives in a local lake.

(it was pretty boring. One of those movies you rented based solely on the cover, which is all you had to go by before the internet)

MV5BMTI1NDY3MDQ3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTYyOTg5._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg