🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDavid

Suggestion: The Princess Bride

I submit for entry into the Canon 1987's The Princess Bride. Many people my age consider it a classic, and I will admit I enjoy it a great deal. Despite this I am unsure if it belongs in the canon of great films to live on. I feel that, while I would highly reccomend it, I don't know if its viewing is neccesary to understand modern film. *edit* I am afraid this may fall under the nostalgia filter for me, and I am incapable of actually judging its quality objectively. *end edit* I think that this film will lead to a great conversation between the hosts.

• Like 2

Yes. Yes!!! YeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!

It's one of my favorite films since childhood. Of COURSE it belongs in The Canon. It's one of the most quoted films of its generation. Prolly after Spaceballs (which deserves an episode, but Princess Bride deserves it more). It's a fantastic blend of straight-forward fairy tale with layers of satire. Also, it's one of the most solid examples of 1980s (low) fantasy. It's got great characters, a ton of humor. It's even based on a pretty good book, a fine genre send-up of its own.

And it's timeless. That's qualification enough for The Canon.

I'd say it's probably my second favorite movie ever, just after Chaplin's Modern Times. Pretty please do this one!

This could be fun. I have a weird feeling the hosts won't be quite as keen on it as most people I know are.

This could be fun. I have a weird feeling the hosts won't be quite as keen on it as most people I know are.

I believe Amy actually mentioned that she would like to do it in an earlier episode. It seemed like she liked it.

I believe Amy actually mentioned that she would like to do it in an earlier episode. It seemed like she liked it.

Oh, must've missed that! Either way, would love an episode on it. Even if it's not particularly cinematic, surely it must win by sheer virtue of being The. Most. Quotable. Movie. EVER.

Devin has also voiced his approval for this film on this podcast. So, it'd probably get in.

Personally, it'd be a fine episode, but I'm really burnt out on The Princess Bride. Growing up Mormon, a lot of LDS kids loved this film to the point of kinda ruining it for me, personally. I've always liked The Princess Bride, and I think it's one of Rob Reiner's best--especially since he continues to dilute the quality of his filmography--but I've never been in love with it. So, I don't know. I get the appeal, but there's no rush. It's a clever movie. It's a popular movie. It holds up. Fair addition.

Rob Reiner really had a strong start to his career: Spinal Tap, Stand By Me, The Princess Bride, When Harry Met Sally, Misery, A Few Good Men... (I'll give him a pass for The Sure Thing, which has aged poorly).

In that run, you could convince me that the Princess Bride is his best film -- a perfect partnership with William Goldman -- and it's definitely my favorite. Would Reiner be worthy of two films in the Canon? I'm not sure. Although I like the Princess Bride most, it's hard to argue against the influence that Spinal Tap had.

Looking at Reiner's career in the rearview, It's actually kind of remarkable how much his output has tapered since the early nineties. Not in terms of volume -- he's kept right up with that -- but the quality has suffered dramatically. North was really a pivot point in his career. It's like two different filmmakers. I guess I should be excited for his upcoming movie on Lyndon Johnson but I'm having a hard time convincing myself that it will be more than (at best) a straightforward biopic.

If you want a brutal versus, you could always go with a Rob Reiner themed episode and do The Princess Bride vs. When Harry Met Sally.

Rob Reiner really had a strong start to his career: Spinal Tap, Stand By Me, The Princess Bride, When Harry Met Sally, Misery, A Few Good Men... (I'll give him a pass for The Sure Thing, which has aged poorly).

In that run, you could convince me that the Princess Bride is his best film -- a perfect partnership with William Goldman -- and it's definitely my favorite. Would Reiner be worthy of two films in the Canon? I'm not sure. Although I like the Princess Bride most, it's hard to argue against the influence that Spinal Tap had.

Looking at Reiner's career in the rearview, It's actually kind of remarkable how much his output has tapered since the early nineties. Not in terms of volume -- he's kept right up with that -- but the quality has suffered dramatically. North was really a pivot point in his career. It's like two different filmmakers. I guess I should be excited for his upcoming movie on Lyndon Johnson but I'm having a hard time convincing myself that it will be more than (at best) a straightforward biopic.

Reiner's output declined when he stopped working with top notch writing talent. Maybe the material wasn't being offered to him because he was out of step with the next wave of talent or maybe he just stopped being able to identify the next great collaborator. But it's real obvious the down tic in quality when you look up the credits of his movies from about North on and see who wrote on them.

Sign in to follow this