🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

I can't even begin to describe this movie. I'll try. It's baffling, it's pretentious, Oscar Isaac says "Brother" way too many times, the main character is a huge fucking tool, the plot makes very little sense, with plot holes out the wazoo, and the faux-philosophical bullshit they try to pass off as dialogue is just awful. I personally found it hilarious. And Oscar Isaac is at least fun to watch.

http://www.com/title/tt2322517/

Having just seen this... YES. Given its pedigree, it's almost hard to describe how terrible this is (yet bizarrely entertaining!) Directed by the guy who wrote The Departed & Kingdom of Heaven! It's got Mark Wahlberg & Walton Goggins! Even Oscar Isaac is bad in it. OSCAR ISAAC, people! Yet oh so watchable.

I don't think he's THAT bad, but it's not his best. To me it feels like he kind of knew what kind of character he was playing, and did the best he could with what he had, and eventually just said "Fuck it!" and went a off the rails with it. The only not-so-entertaining thing about that character is what happens to him at the end. Just... ugh. Every character was a piece of shit, and I wanted Oscar Issac's character to just shoot them all in the face while calling them "brother." haha!

I don't think he's THAT bad, but it's not his best. To me it feels like he kind of knew what kind of character he was playing, and did the best he could with what he had, and eventually just said "Fuck it!" and went a off the rails with it. The only not-so-entertaining thing about that character is what happens to him at the end. Just... ugh. Every character was a piece of shit, and I wanted Oscar Issac's character to just shoot them all in the face while calling them "brother." haha!

Oh I agree, Isaac went off the rails (maybe on purpose, I'll buy that). When I say he's bad, I mean... he's not winning any awards for this. But he is entertaining; maybe 'bad' in a wow, wtf-am-I-watching?? way (which, for our purposes, is great!). He's certainly the best part of the movie. Anyone reading this who's unconvinced... you must see his performance, and you must see this movie!

• Like 1

I honestly think Oscar Isaac was channeling Hulk Hogan for his dialogue and I was amazed by the people that they were able to get for this. Isaac I get because he has done a few movies for A24, but getting Wahlberg and Goggins is a head scratcher. Isaac was easily the best part of this because he does great as a menacing person. My main question was how does Garret Hedlund's mistress live in that big of a house when she's a lead in some off-off-broadway play in a theater that holds maybe 20 people and the set design entails a blue curtain and a brown mattress cover?

Brother brother brother, brother, brother brother. Brother -- brother brother. Brother, brother brother brother brother brother... brother, brother. Brother brother brother? Brother.

Oscar was kinda fun, but I hated the generically handsome tortured rock star guy. Wahlberg was the bright spot and I could have done without the rest of the film -- his scenes were clearly shot in a single afternoon.

Sign in to follow this