🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 54 - Inside That Salvador Dali Painting with The Melting Clocks

Paul F. Tompkins welcomes all the people he likes to SPONTANEANATION! This week, Paul’s special guest is fantastic stand-up comedian Beth Stelling! They chat about what law Beth routinely beaks, Beth getting in trouble with her mother growing up, and the little ceremony Beth would have in the event a pet would die. Paul is then joined by Sarah Burns, Stephanie Courtney, and Colleen Smith to improvise a story set Inside That Salvador Dali Painting with The Melting Clocks. And as always, Eban (only the best) Schletter scores it all on piano! SPONTANEANATION LIVE returns to Largo on Saturday, June 4th, with special guest

! Tickets are available now: bit.ly/SPONT616

Burnsie! I was just listening to the seven dimensions clip from the Savannah episode because someone had posted it on Tumblr, and I realized that she hasn't been on in a while.

• Like 2

Burnsie! I was just listening to the seven dimensions clip from the Savannah episode because someone had posted it on Tumblr, and I realized that she hasn't been on in a while.

I had that same realization at some point last week, too. I was so happy when Paul announced her, especially since her return to SPONT was on an episode with Colleen and Stephanie, and Beth gave them such a delightfully absurd location. This just made my whole morning.

• Like 2

This one hurt my brain slightly, but in a good way.

Was very pleased when the egg-car area was revealed to be part of the painting (I thought that all along and shared Paul's confusion when it seemed like it might not be).

"What's a rhombus?"

"I was thinking of a parallelogram."

"Well, keep thinking of it, 'cause your face is delightful when you do!"

• Like 3

Paul F. Tompkins creates an atmosphere so positive and fun, the warning "there will be rape jokes!" about an upcoming live show is met with giddy laughter. I love this podcast.

• Like 2

Wow, A+ location suggestion! High difficulty level to pull that off, and the improvisers did a great job with it! I enjoyed all the trippy philosophical surrealism, especially from Colleen. Because of the surreal atmosphere, it made it better and not worse when there was confusion about what was inside and what was outside the world of the painting, and who was a real person, and who was an abstract concept from painting world. It was a delight to listen to everybody try and get on the same page.

Of course you say "Reba McIntyre" to get back to our world, that makes perfect sense. Garry Marshall should try that the next time he accidentally says what the chicks will do when they see Greased Lightning.

• Like 3

Just when it couldn't get any weirder in comes Colleen's Reba Mcintyre! Amazing!

• Like 1

Totally on the same page as Paul with the 10-inch mattress thing. I think the same thing every time I hear that.

This was a weird one. Not only did Paul fail to introduce Eben (deedledeedledeedledeedledee) but I didn't notice a single instance in the improv where they referenced Beth's interview!

Maybe I was just too busy trying to wrap my brain around all of the layers to remember what the interview was about in the first place...

(Richard voice) ...or were all of the layers trying ... to wrap around my brain ... ? Hmm I thought I had something there...

This episode justified my parents' thousands spent on sending me to art school.

I didn't notice a single instance in the improv where they referenced Beth's interview!

There was some stuff about how smelly New York is, but that's all I remember right now.

There was some stuff about how smelly New York is, but that's all I remember right now.

Her interview wasn't very engaging. and the idea of 13 year olds partying with frat brothers was way too upsetting to be funny or be incorporated into the improv.

Sign in to follow this