🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JonHillman

Suggestion: Monty Python and the Holy Grail vs. Life of Brian

I already suggested this at the old forum, but the new forum seems to be more active so I wanted to get people's reactions here. There's been a long debate among Monty Python fans as to which of these is their best film, and I say we put it to rest. I'd currently root for Holy Grail, but I'm willing to listen to arguments for the other side.

• Like 1

I love both films but I've always been more partial to Life of Brian, mainly because of how they roast the New Testament so well. Agreed that this would be a great versus episode!

Of course the correct answer is Both. But if I had to choose, it's Holy Grail. It's more iconic. This would be a great episode though, hope it happens

In my humble opinion, Life of Brian is one of the 5 funniest movies ever made. I feel like it shows the diversity and genius of the humor of Monty Python better than anything else. In any given scene there will be complex jokes, stupid jokes, broad jokes, one-liners, social criticism, high brow, low brow, and any other type of humor you could expect. It's truly a masterpiece of comedy.

• Like 1

Life of Brian would absolutely destroy Holy Grail. But there are quality gags in Holy Grail.

I think Life of Brian wins because it's the edgier choice. They're both great, but clearly iconography doesn't matter--*cough* *cough* Empire Strikes Back *cough*--so, Holy Grail would likely miss out.

If you are going to do Grail v. Brian (and you should, it's perhaps greater than Blazin' Saddles v Young Frankenstein as far as 1970s cult comedic rivalries are concerned), I beg of you that you bring a British-born-and-raised guest who thinks Brian is the superior film*. As long as I've know of these two, I've heard that Americans prefer Grail, for the greater focus on random, but shallow, humor, whereas Brian was more popular with the Brits, who maybe got the counter-cultural and/or religious jokes on a more visceral level, since 5/6 of the Pythons were British-born.

Let's make such an episode a trans-Atlantic experience. My vote's for Grail, but as I live thousands upon thousands of miles away from Mercia, that's only to be expected.

* - Unless both of you would argue for Brian, in which case get a typical American/Hollywood nerd to argue for Grail. Make it fair and balanced (in the real sense), but give both movies their due. It's, possibly, the ultimate old-school nerd-off. That doesn't involve Star Trek, at least.

This would be a great showdown for this podcast exactly because one is arguably the better movie - Life of Brian - while Holy Grail is one of the most "iconic", "influential" comedies of all time, which tends to be strong argument for Canon-worthyness. It's one of those 'what is the Canon to you?' decisions and I love the interesting discussions it wrings out.

This is a very solid proposal. LIFE OF BRIAN wins on quality and intelligence, HOLY GRAIL is a more common cultural touchpoint.

I think HOLY GRAIL is funnier, but LIFE OF BRIAN is better.

I showed Life of Brian for a movie night and most of my guests had never seen it. It was one of the favorites of the whole season and the laughter didn't stop. I guess I should do Holy Grail this fall and see how that compares. (I do movies on a video projector in my living room weekly but not in summer, except for occasional backyard movies.)

• Like 1

I don't think there's any single Monty Python moment funnier to me than in The Holy Grail, when the two outer guards at the swamp castle see Lancelot repeatedly charge at them from far away, then suddenly jump in frame and stab them. It nearly puts me in tears just thinking about it.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this