🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bri-witched

Suggestion: Velvet Goldmine

Might be an oddball choice since there are other more well-known films that haven't made it into The Canon yet, but I love this film and think everyone should see it. I think it's Todd Haynes' most interesting work.

Oh cool! Same here, easily in my top 10. I went through a big Bowie phase years ago and discovered it as a result.

This is one of my all-time favorite movies.

Devincf, if you are who you claim to be --

...and is the dog in your avatar holding a dildo...seriously....

-- "Velvet Goldmine" is EXACTLY the type of bordline/obscure movie I would so dearly love to see more of in The Canon. (Assuming you are who you imply you are), You haaaaave the poooooweeerrrrrrr!!!!

To make it so.

Put up. Or....stop teasing. I saw "Velvet Goldmine" so long ago, so VERY long ago. So long ago, I couldn't take it. It was...too...itself. Which is to say, wildly foreign, given my provincial narrowminded, borderline-cultish understanding of the wider world WAY back then. I just didn't know, like, anything, such as to have a hope of appreciating such a....very different time...with different values....and, really, different levels (suPERIOR levels) of tolerance, as the movie itself was depicting. If you put this up for The Canon, I will SO watch this. And watch with the commentaries. I will learn. I've read a fair (tiny) bit up on glam rock since....that....event of three months ago. I never paid it much mind before. Now....it just seems fascinating. How could such a time, as glam rock, exist 40 years ago, when I can't even imagine it existing in pop culture today?

But I'll happily watch it again. Older. Wiser. Post..........*sniff*......post-Bowie. I'll suck it up. And watch it for him. I will. I'm a post-mortem Bowie fan. Feel free to disregard me. But I can't claim to be more than I am. Passive, distant respect, up until his death, and, now, so-guilty love and adoration. I wish it weren't so, but it were so. So it were.

Please....help The Canon....to take the plunge. Imposter Devin. Or, possibly, maybe, REAL???? Devin? And make the episode 90 minutes or so. Make it a history lesson. Teach the kids all the stuff you kinda glossed over in the Rocky Horror episode. Get technical. Learn us all something, Mr. Beard Man.

Sign in to follow this