🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
j_scanlon

Suggestion: Stop Making Sense (or any concert film)

Was thinking of genres that have yet to be represented in the Canon, and I thought this could make for an interesting discussion. Though musicals have been talked about, none of the films discussed yet have purely had music as the subject. Stop Making Sense is probably my favorite straight up concert film so that's why I put it as the header. Also, Pauline Kael called it "close to perfection" and I know our hosts love her so.

Other choices:

Gimme Shelter - Okay, this is not exactly a concert film and really maybe this could've been its own suggestion. Cultural importance off the hooks.... and yeah maybe this one should be in the header.

Live! Tonight! Sold Out!- honestly I have no idea if this is highly regarded, but as a Nirvana dork growing up this one is very dear to me

The Last Waltz - or, Martin Scorsese and the Canadian Confederates

• Like 1

I'm imagining a world where, for whatever reason, they do Stop Making Sense vs. Amy as a joke, but then Amy Winehouse's fans catch wind of this episode, and then skew the vote to get Amy in the canon.

But uh... yeah. I'd throw in No Direction Home, as well as the mega-underrated Mistaken for Strangers.

• Like 1

But uh... yeah. I'd throw in No Direction Home, as well as the mega-underrated Mistaken for Strangers.

Ooh Mistaken for Strangers is a good one. If we're doing music docs about maladjusted fuck ups, might I also suggest "Dig!"?

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this