đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
JulyDiaz

Episode 134 - Can't Stop the Music: LIVE!

HDTGM All-Stars Pete Holmes and Cameron Esposito join Paul and Jason LIVE from the world famous Largo at the Coronet in Los Angeles to discuss the 1980 Village People biopic Can't Stop the Music. The film won the very first Razzie award for Worst Picture. They will cover everything including the fact that movie is PG but has dicks in it, the Baskin-Robbins product placement, and the milkshake song. Don’t forget to check out Blake Harris’ Oral History of Can't Stop the Music over at www.slashfilm.com! Get yourself a BB-8 “What Is Its Mission?” T-shirt or Tote Bag over at http://howdidthisgetmade.bigcartel.com/ Set your DVRs for Party Over Here, a new FOX sketch comedy show from The Lonely Island and Paul starring Nicole Byer, Jessica McKenna, and Alison Rich. It airs Saturdays at 11 pm. People of the internet: Watch Paul in Fresh off the Boat on ABC. Awhile ago, Paul and Rob Huebel did a comedy special on a 60 foot glass bus that traveled around LA. Now you’ll be able to see it. Go to https://itun.es/us/3M4J9 now to buy it! You can also see Jason in Transparent on Amazon! Also, check out June in Grace and Frankie available on Netflix, and in all the episodes of NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU for free, and Jason in The Dictator (he’s still in it!).

yeeesh,, i really wanted to like this episode and it had potential.. it IS very funny in some parts.. but a certain someone is quite grating at times... and its not the goofy maniac with the insane laugh, he's delighful

• Like 11

yeeesh,, i really wanted to like this episode and it had potential.. it IS very funny in some parts.. but a certain someone is rquite grating at times... and its not the goofy maniac with the insane laugh, he's delighful

I agree.

• Like 4

I didn't like this episode either, cameron was annoying. I think she broke a record for the time it took her to turn the conversation over to her being gay.

• Like 10

I'm at the first commercial break, and I too feel like Cameron ground to a halt what was sounding like a very promising episode by taking such a deep dive into politics.

Regardless of whether I agree with her or not (on some things I do, on some things I don't ), that's not what I go to HDTGM for.

I liked Cameron on the Mortal Combat episode and I've liked her on other things, so I'm going to hope this was just a combination of the content of the movie mixing with this crazy election time making this burble up from her.

Now, back to the episode to see if Jason, Paul and Pete can get the train back on the rails...

• Like 5

I didn't like this episode either, cameron was annoying. I think she broke a record for the time it took her to turn the conversation over to her being gay.

seriously.. i don't want the same insane conversation that reared it ugly head in the forums, during her last CBB appearance but she is painfully unfunny and really lacks connection and good timing,,, it seems she likes to use her sexual preference as a crutch for mediocre jokes and banter...

PS: this is not a sexist/anti gay POV.. its PURELY based on comedy... so dont paint me as that

• Like 8

Definitely an off night for Cameron. She keeps doing it (abandoning the movie for well-meaning Statements, with a capital S). At one point you can *literally* hear Pete trying to remind her that this is a comedy show, and she acknowledges it briefly before rushing back to the barricades.

• Like 2

Cameron is fine. Every dude is talking over her, and she's totally right about the gender politics at play here. This is one of the most interesting episodes of the podcast in recent memories.

That said... FEEL THE BERN!!!

• Like 10

Does anyone mention the disturbing sight of kids village people ...look closely at the boy playing the leatherman kid is wearing a cock ring around his neck !!!

• Like 2

Just watched the trailer for this movie and although I'm looking forward to listening to the episode later, I'm out for this movie guys. I'm very dedicated to this podcast, but even I have a limit of what I'm prepared to watch...

The first 25 minutes of this podcast is a special kind of torture

• Like 6

Did they mention that the Amazon video of the movie is in pan-and-scan? This far into the widescreen-TV era, that takes dedication to not giving a shit.

Correction/Ommission:

Paul says Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner only acted in 2 things: this film and Jack & Jill. However, Bruce did a lot of TV guest appearances, including appearances on CHiPS, The Love Boat, and Murder She Wrote, as well as an appearance in the terrible 2014 film The Hungover Games. Source: IMDB

Here's an idea; If you don't think Cameron Esposito is funny, don't listen to the stuff she does. Another idea: Not everything is for you. You don't have to be a completist. No one is forcing you to listen to this.

She's fine. A little heavy handed at times but fine, and, imo, funny. As is Pete Holmes.

And the whole " milkshake " bit was wonderful.

• Like 12

Reddit agrees that Cameron Esposito is unfunny and intrusive. I have never seen a HTDGM guest be so widely and roundly unpopular with the listenership.

• Like 2

"Or did they just write a song about liking to drink milkshakes?" Oh of course! Just as In the Navy is merely "an earnest celebration of sea life":

In the film's funniest sequence, the current members of the Village People brazenly assert that there was nothing gay about their material, claiming that "there was not one double entendre in any of the music" and that "
" was written as an earnest celebration of sea life. This is intercut with an interview with Henri Belolo, who wasn't a member of the band but produced their records, co-wrote many of their songs, and played a major role in inventing their image. As the singers issue their denials, Belolo talks about "how we created a gay-positive message" and discusses the barely hidden gay-cruising subtext of "YMCA." At that moment, the Village People become a different type of revisionists, rewriting their history with the self-confidence of a Soviet censor snipping Trotsky out of a photo. Or maybe they're being poker-faced jokers, too. But I don't think so: At the end of the movie, right before the credits roll, we see some post-interview footage of a Village Person pretending to throttle Kastner as he warns the filmmaker that he reads too many books.

Cameron is incredible. Not only did she find a way to be more annoying than Pete Holmes on a podcast, she made it look easy. Color me impressed.

• Like 6

Re the assertion that milk is the only way to make the Village People's mustache's bigger: given all their use of offensive stereotypes (the Native American headdress, etc.), why don't they have a member with a full-on Fu Manchu mustache?

• Like 1

Here we go with all the blah blah Cameron this and that.. I got the point the first time I read it! Buncha peeps just making everything unbearable to read through. Pete tries a bit too much on this show and Cameron gets off track for like a min.. it happens.. I enjoyed the ep thanks HDTGM!

• Like 7

Can't Stop the Music was not Steve Guttenberg's film debut as well. His first role was a 1977 teen comedy called The Chicken Chronicles, while his followup was a small role in 1978's The Boys from Brazil before Can't Stop the Music became his first starring role.

• Like 2