🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 134 - Can't Stop the Music: LIVE!

Only about halfway through, but I felt like I had to come here to say Cameron's brief discussion about Caitlyn and the subtext in this movie was, to put it in her words, really fucking rad!

Might have been a little too political and off track for some but I thought it was very well put and articulated.

You go Cameron!

EDIT: Yeahhhhhhhh I can tell a LOT of people are not happy with that segment. Well, to each their own.

• Like 13

Maybe worth noting I couldn't finish the Bloodsport ep because I actually felt that guest was just SCREECHING LOUDLY THE WHOLE TIME and it drove me nuts. So I guess it happens. I take nothing away from folks that didn't care for Cameron.

• Like 1

This episode had much discussion of Can't Stop the Music being a PG-rated movie, and much discussion of its erotic cake store. But I believe the episode sorely omitted a discussion of the inclusion of an erotic cake store in a PG-rated movie!

Although if it can be included in a family-friendly cartoon...

Homer.jpg

• Like 5

The most useless genitals are man nipples. There, I said it.

I don't think the podcast addressed this. Jack's mother was played by June Havoc, sister of Gypsy Rose Lee. From vaudeville star to the Village People biopic.

I thought maybe the model agent getting stuck in the telephone booth was going to be a reference to La Cabina (The Telephone Box), a short TV film from the 70s, but it never went anywhere.

Also, this was the moment that made me love this movie. The Native American village people comes out of the grocery store, carrying a bag of corn. A-maize-ing! Sorry about the poor pic quality.

aKR8lw8.jpg

Lastly, this party guest made me do a double take, because she looked like Veruca Salt, all grown up.

VOitP8Y.png

• Like 5

My favorite recurring bit in the movie was how people just declared their position with the band and there was never one bit of push back. I'm their manager. I'm their lawyer. I'm their sales agent. I'm their number one roadie. There are probably some more in there I am forgetting.

I also thought Jenner's character was wildly unreasonable in the movie. He had just transferred into that office a few days ago. He turns the place into a full on circus for their auditions. He gets very lightly reprimanded for that and blows up and quits on the spot.

• Like 2

I'm kind of surprised people are saying Cameron brought up "the gay stuff" in a discussion of a movie about the Village People starring Bruce (now Caitlin) Jenner. And, without her there, it's three straight guys mocking a gay movie which I find more uncomfortable than dealing with things like "what do we call Bruce/Caitlin" upfront.

The discussion of the penis as the least important sexual organ was maybe a little off topic, but you have to admit it definitely is for a lesbian. I'm a heterosexual lady and I went into a whole discussion of how weird the dick (and dick pics) in the thread for THE QUEST. I tend to agree with her. The penis isn't that important for my sexual enjoyment. But since I like guys, it's kind of attached (nailed it!) to the objects of my sexual desire.

Anyway, I think we should direct this conversation back to Steve Guttenberg and how much we miss him being in everything. I wonder if it was one of the Village People that showed him how to live well.

• Like 15

I'm only 15 minutes in and I'm already legitimately crying and my coworker was like, "WHY DID I LEAVE MY HEADPHONES AT HOME!?"

Seeing some of the responses here about Cameron are making me real angry so I'm just gonna ignore those and continue this episode, because she's amazing and this episode is already one of my all time favorites (maybe even beats out Sleepaway Camp???)

• Like 10

I think Valerie Perrine is pronounced with a long i sound. Perrine like wine, not Perrine like bean.

I suppose nobody has heard her name spoken out loud in decades.

• Like 1

In Film Quotations: 11,000 Lines Spoken on Screen, Arranged by Subject, and Indexed the immortal "swallow two Snow Balls and a Ding-Dong" line is described as a "deep thought" (and Valerie Perrine is considered "very chunky").

Jason and Pete go on for solid minutes about their dicks, but Cameron "gets too off-topic."

Jason and Pete shout over each other for half the episode, but Cameron "screeches."

I thought Cameron was just fine, and yes, she's going to talk about her sexuality, especially when discussing a movie about a bunch of LGBT icons that stars a person who would later comes out as trans.

Very well put. I thought the whole "dick" thing was irritatingly off topic but people have issue with Carmen going off topic for what felt like half the time of the dick dusccsion? *shrugs*

• Like 6

I'm only 15 minutes in and I'm already legitimately crying and my coworker was like, "WHY DID I LEAVE MY HEADPHONES AT HOME!?"

Seeing some of the responses here about Cameron are making me real angry so I'm just gonna ignore those and continue this episode because she's amazing and this episode is already one of my all time favorite (maybe even beats out Sleepaway Camp???)

I've never been too into Cameron's stand up, but as a guest/panelist she's really great. She's funny but makes great "serious" points. Don't worry, some of us are with you!

• Like 2

In 2013 I met Randy Jones (the cowboy) at a party the gallery I worked at was throwing. He took pictures with me and my friend and then tried to get us to go into a bathroom with him. My biggest regret is not going.

post-119358-0-37516600-1460733112_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

In 2013 I met Randy Jones (the cowboy) at a party the gallery I worked at was throwing. He took pictures with me and my friend and then tried to get us to go into a bathroom with him. My biggest regret is not going.

I'm not sure which of you is on the right, but that dude looks terrified.

• Like 1

Anyone else have a hard time telling Paul and Pete apart? haha before i knew about Pete Holmes, i though You Made It Weird was Paul Scheer's podcast.

Jason and Pete go on for solid minutes about their dicks, but Cameron "gets too off-topic."

Jason and Pete shout over each other for half the episode, but Cameron "screeches."

I thought Cameron was just fine, and yes, she's going to talk about her sexuality, especially when discussing a movie about a bunch of LGBT icons that stars a person who would later comes out as trans.

This is right on, and I do think there is probably some unconscious bias on the part of some listeners. That said, it doesn't invalidate the criticism that Cameron just isn't that funny. That's the problem with these discussions about her: the people that identify with her viewpoint won't acknowledge that her comedic chops are lacking and dismiss her critics as bigots, while the people who don't like her comedy won't acknowledge that their opinions may be partly (but not totally) driven by unconscious bias. Personally, I like her warm personality and I appreciate that, unlike Pete Holmes (who I find insufferable), she tries to be collaborative whenever she's a guest, but if I'm evaluating purely for comedic talent, she's middling at best.

• Like 3

I am always the last one to know about this, the show going live. what are you guys getting up at 2am ? I got mugged by a old lady on my way here. I am not having a good day. That old bitch got everything.

and the best moment in the movie goes tooo!

euf2gl.jpg

That leatherman is a scene stealer.. I want to join a biker gang and ride with his crew.

• Like 3

This is right on, and I do think there is probably some unconscious bias on the part of some listeners. That said, it doesn't invalidate the criticism that Cameron just isn't that funny. That's the problem with these discussions about her: the people that identify with her viewpoint won't acknowledge that her comedic chops are lacking and dismiss her critics as bigots, while the people who don't like her comedy won't acknowledge that their opinions may be partly (but not totally) driven by unconscious bias. Personally, I like her warm personality and I appreciate that, unlike Pete Holmes (who I find insufferable), she tries to be collaborative whenever she's a guest, but if I'm evaluating purely for comedic talent, she's middling at best.

But comedy is subjective, not objective. Not everyone is going to think the same person is funny, but it's also not a valid criticism if we're being honest. You can criticize someone's actual joke telling process if you feel like maybe they're just being lazy and could actually be funny if they worked on some things, but just saying, "They aren't funny," has no value.

Personally, Cameron has made me laugh harder than a lot of comedians I've seen get one hour specials, but I also know that not everyone has the same kind of humor so not everyone is going to laugh at her jokes. And telling people that do like her and are fans of her that they just aren't "acknowledging her lack of comedic chops" sounds super degrading and disrespectful.

This isn't just you, since there are now three pages of people complaining about her and you actually do point out that a lot of the things said clearly have an unfair bias to them.

• Like 9

I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but seriously guys...

147208-what-the-fuck-is-happening-rig-fFkz.gif

Let's all be cool, and remember, sometimes being cool is just knowing when to shut the fuck up...

Case in point...

James+Dean.jpg

• Like 7

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode and hope both Pete and Cameron come back to do Cruising. Because it sounds like Cameron has opinions and Pete can do his Pacino impression so it's a win-win. I laughed out loud a lot and I'm at work.

Now I've gone down a rabbit hole or reading stuff about the Village people. I did not realize the cop in this movie is not the original cop and that neither cop is gay. This is entirely new information to me.

Let's discuss whether or not Steve Guttenberg is a sex symbol though. Yay or nay? I thought he was definitely the hot guy in Cocoon.

• Like 9