🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 134 - Can't Stop the Music: LIVE!

I just found out that Arlene Phillips was the choreographer for this movie, who would go on to find more fame as one of the judges of BBC's 'Strictly Come Dancing', which then got the US version "Dancing with the Stars", she declined the opportunity to appear on the latter, as she didn't want to move to the US to do it.

And is also an unaging wonder of science and plastic surgery.

Here she is, aged SEVENTY-TWO

Arlene-Phillips:-National-Television-Awards-2016--01-662x995.jpg

• Like 4

I just found out that Arlene Phillips was the choreographer for this movie, who would go on to find more fame as one of the judges of BBC's 'Strictly Come Dancing', which then got the US version "Dancing with the Stars", she declined the opportunity to appear on the latter, as she didn't want to move to the US to do it.

And is also an unaging wonder of science and plastic surgery.

Here she is, aged SEVENTY-TWO

Arlene-Phillips:-National-Television-Awards-2016--01-662x995.jpg

That is totally easy to explain because England never sees the sun and she sucks the souls out of children ever week.

• Like 3

We do get the sun, but it's in inconsistent increments, which means that we as a nation have perfected the art of "Surprise Barbecue", we can get a barbecue set up, lit, meat cooked and packed away again in about 30 minutes.

• Like 2

there was a strange thing throughout this movie that kinda bothered me ...

valeries perrines character says a couple of times that caitlyns character was younger than her and acted as if it was a barrier between them getting together. like in the clip played in the ep when they get stuck on the chair she says "listen .. i draw the line at younger men but i definitely draw the line at younger married men"

and when caitlyns mother comes into the auditions and everyones jaw hits the floor and wolf whistles are heard, perrines character gets all awkward and says "mother? ... she looks better than i do"

but at the time of filming caitlyn was 30 and valerie was 36 (and they looked the same age) .... thats not that much of a difference really and ... well i guess what i am trying to ask is ... was the character of samantha originally supposed to be played by an older woman and after they cast perrine they just couldn't be bothered to change the script?

maybe i'm missing something about the older woman/younger man thing as opposed to the older man/younger woman?

i dont know .. maybe caitlyns character was younger than 30???

• Like 3

I really wanted to let this whole thing go, but I just saw this on Facebook, and it seriously pisses me off.

26396118002_c63d959fd1_o.png

I really hate the idea that a) new members are being turned off by forum posts from people who are either never here or only created an account to bitch, and b ) that people on the outside feel that these people represent us as a whole. Almost anyone who has posted anything negative only have a handful of posts to their name.

I'm not on Facebook, but I really hope someone will reach out to these guys and let them know it's not normally like this. I really do enjoy new voices and perspectives around here. I don't want people to be turned off by a couple of bad apples who will be long gone before you know it.

I promise, that's the last thing I'll say on the matter. It just really makes me mad is all...

• Like 10

there was a strange thing throughout this movie that kinda bothered me ...

valeries perrines character says a couple of times that caitlyns character was younger than her and acted as if it was a barrier between them getting together. like in the clip played in the ep when they get stuck on the chair she says "listen .. i draw the line at younger men but i definitely draw the line at younger married men"

and when caitlyns mother comes into the auditions and everyones jaw hits the floor and wolf whistles are heard, perrines character gets all awkward and says "mother? ... she looks better than i do"

but at the time of filming caitlyn was 30 and valerie was 36 (and they looked the same age) .... thats not that much of a difference really and ... well i guess what i am trying to ask is ... was the character of samantha originally supposed to be played by an older woman and after they cast perrine they just couldn't be bothered to change the script?

maybe i'm missing something about the older woman/younger man thing as opposed to the older man/younger woman?

i dont know .. maybe caitlyns character was younger than 30???

Finally, some sanity!

I'm not sure...I feel like a woman being even a month older than a dude used to be a big deal. It's a good question though.

• Like 1

What I learned from my earlier wikipedia rabbit hole, is that a producer of this movie was Jacques Morali, who was the Lou Perlman-like founder of the Village People. Also the co-writer of most of the songs (the one Victor Willis doesn't dispute was involved per the copyright articles I read earlier.) Anyway, his idea for the band was based on gay dancers at disco clubs.

The Steve Guttenberg character--Jack Morell--is him. Or an Americanized version of him. Basically, he produced this movie about himself. And then when Hollywood wanted it to be less overtly gay that is probably why they added the model character and her love interest, beefcake Bruce Jenner.

I think no one disputes the line in the film--even though Sam should--because she's basically speaking for Morali there.

https://en.wikipedia.../Jacques_Morali

I get what you're saying...I just feel like the movie was marketed as a "Village People" movie, not a "the guy who made The Village People" movie. I was a little let down by how unimportant they were to the plot...

• Like 1

2 fav pete moments:

jason: "really??? cause there's a shower scene with dicks and guys have like soap .... "

pete: "you said we were talking about the movie in order! ... that happens 90 minutes in and thats the best part of this .. youre like 'oh, its a delightful romp into discotechery and then suddenly theres floppin sudsy dicks! ... and one pair of tits!"

and during the discussion of pacinos movie "cruisin" pete bursts into song:

"its the most wonderful time of the year ... theres a man with an ass and its gaping and ..."

he's so fast its crazy

• Like 9

he's so fast its crazy

I was dying at "It takes a village, people..."

I love it when he congratulates himself after those, like, "That one was a freebie -- you're welcome!"

He was in a similar mood on Moshe Kasher's Hound Tall podcast a few months ago. He's still one of the funniest guys around, when he's in his zone.

• Like 9

and during the discussion of pacinos movie "cruisin" pete bursts into song:

"its the most wonderful time of the year ... theres a man with an ass and its gaping and ..."

he's so fast its crazy

I would love an episode on Cruising, though that may be too dark for the show. What gets me about that movie is the director filmed almost an hour of hardcore gay sex in the leather clubs and then cut it from the film because he said it wasn't necessary for the movie, he just filmed it for the hell of it all.

• Like 2

I really wanted to let this whole thing go, but I just saw this on Facebook, and it seriously pisses me off.

26396118002_c63d959fd1_o.png

I really hate the idea that a) new members are being turned off by forum posts from people who are either never here or only created an account to bitch, and b ) that people on the outside feel that these people represent us as a whole. Almost anyone who has posted anything negative only have a handful of posts to their name.

I'm not on Facebook, but I really hope someone will reach out to these guys and let them know it's not normally like this. I really do enjoy new voices and perspectives around here. I don't want people to be turned off by a couple of bad apples who will be long gone before you know it.

I promise, that's the last thing I'll say on the matter. It just really makes me mad is all...

It's online commenters that led me to stop writing for sports websites, because they are fucking BRUTAL with the air of anonymity. I wasn't even writing serious shit about sports, just comedic lists for the most part, and people take that as an assault on them personally. There is no changing online society unfortunately because for all intents and purposes people are all the same especially from behind a computer screen miles away from the people they are talking to: assholes. I've learned to just say "oh well," move forward, and forget about it. Just realize that those posting on the Facebook page probably don't have much going for them in that they are listing their names fully while spewing their shit, so they either have nothing to hold onto if someone really decides to push and ruin them, or they are vapid that they don't give a shit.

• Like 1

It's online commenters that led me to stop writing for sports websites, because they are fucking BRUTAL with the air of anonymity. I wasn't even writing serious shit about sports, just comedic lists for the most part, and people take that as an assault on them personally. There is no changing online society unfortunately because for all intents and purposes people are all the same especially from behind a computer screen miles away from the people they are talking to: assholes. I've learned to just say "oh well," move forward, and forget about it. Just realize that those posting on the Facebook page probably don't have much going for them in that they are listing their names fully while spewing their shit, so they either have nothing to hold onto if someone really decides to push and ruin them, or they are vapid that they don't give a shit.

I think you may be misunderstanding (or maybe I'm misunderstanding you)...It's not their Facebook posts that piss me off, it's the fact that at least two people reconsidered joining the forums due to the negativity on this specific thread. I don't feel like those negative posts are a fair picture of the community we've built here, and I feel like even the people who agree with that opinion, and are regular Posters, have been pretty respectful during this whole debacle.

• Like 4

Finally, some sanity!

I'm not sure...I feel like a woman being even a month older than a dude used to be a big deal. It's a good question though.

That's true. My mother was like two years older than my dad when they got married in '78 and it was almost a secret. Maybe because we're used to May-December romances going the other way (your gross fat Henry VIII's marrying teenagers?).

But six years wouldn't seem like that big of a deal to me today, unless they were under 30. When you're in college or high school, dating someone a grade up is like "oooooh! Scandal!"

I get what you're saying...I just feel like the movie was marketed as a "Village People" movie, not a "the guy who made The Village People" movie. I was a little let down by how unimportant they were to the plot...

That's what I think was funny about it. Morali was a producer on the film so I imagine him saying, "LET'S MAKE THIS MORE ABOUT ME. THESE GUYS ARE INSIGNIFICANT!" But obviously what you'd be going to see was the Village People. None of them really have an arc though. They are almost props.

• Like 1

I think you may be misunderstanding (or maybe I'm misunderstanding you)...It's not their Facebook posts that piss me off, it's the fact that at least two people reconsidered joining the forums due to the negativity on this specific thread. I don't feel like those negative posts are a fair picture of the community we've built here, and I feel like even the people who agree with that opinion, and are regular Posters, have been pretty respectful during this whole debacle.

What I'm talking about is an extension of what you said. While they talk about the vitriol being shown by "100%" of the commenters, they in turn are slighting the rest of the board who are not a part of the issue. The idea of "they are negative so I'm not going to join and in turn condemn everyone from this other online platform" is basically a pot calling the kettle black scenario. Yes it's unfortunate that a few people don't want to join the forum because of a few posts, but by doing the same thing on Facebook, they basically confirmed to you why you don't go on the Facebook page to comment. In the end it ends up being a vicious cycle of people in the middle seeing the fringes and saying "yeah that's not for me."

• Like 3

Pete was hitting home runs in this episode.

"I just saved money on car insurance that's so progressive" was my favorite, but he had like a dozen other amazing one-liners. I wish I could remember them all... I wrote that one down so I never forget it. Jason's reactions were great too.

• Like 7

Is there a Pete Holmes GPS voice like there's one for Doug Benson?

If so:

giphy.gif

Especially if it's him doing Pacino.

• Like 1

One of my favorite bits in this episode was during the penises are useless debate, where Jason refers to the penis as the Bifrost Bridge for sperm.

• Like 8

One of my favorite bits in this episode was during the penises are useless debate, where Jason refers to the penis as the Bifrost Bridge for sperm.

Wait so you guys don't have Idris Elba in your bedrooms to activate your bridges? Psh, you guys don't know what you're missing.

• Like 4

This episode seems way too tense and like the audience isn't having any fun. I turned it off about the 27 minute mark but does it get better?

• Like 1

tumblr_mel11tiiOA1rrifv1o1_500.gif

• Like 11

Been a HDTGM fan since about episode 2, first time I've ever turned off an episode (at about the 27 minute mark). Please don't let this Cameron woman guest again, what started off with a lot of energy and excitement you could just feel the joy and humor being sucked out of that room the more she soapboxed.

I am confident that, rather than relying upon decades of performing experience to tell them how to read an audience, and rather than continuing to book a guest who is both a professional comedian and their friend, Paul and Jason will heed the advice of a tiny contingent of anonymous Internet users whose first interaction with them is to badmouth said friend.

According to Soundcloud, 187,000 people have listened to this episode so far. Amongst all social media, maybe 100 people have complained to them about Cameron. You are statistically insignificant.

• Like 12