🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 134 - Can't Stop the Music: LIVE!

I can't help but see some people thinking that being asked to be respectful is the same as being censored, and not wanting any opposing views, and being too delicate to hear fucking "criticism."

Um... No?

I personally don't want this thread to turn into a Reddit forum or YouTube comments section where people are more than happy to use various slurs and tell you how fat, ugly, stupid and wrong you are and to promptly kill yourself. Not wanting to deal with that kind of nonsense isn't weak, it's desperately needed.

• Like 4

Slightly connected to this, I listen to Stone Cold Steve Austin's podcast, and someone asked him about politics on a Q&A, and he said "I steer clear of all things political and religious and shit like that, because it's too divisive, so I don't want to say something, then having listeners turning on each other over something I said".

This kind of proved his point.

Didn't he have a thing that went viral a year or two ago about same-sex marriage? I seem to remember reading him saying something strongly in favor of it, and being like, "Oh shit. Even Stone Cold said so...."

• Like 1

Let's not forget

The Magician:

15953%20-%20phantasio%20promotional_image%20wwf.png

The Hunter

23skinner.jpg

The Mountie:

Mountie.jpg

The Pimp:

the-godfather.jpg

The Voodoo Priest (Granted, this is just The Pimp in make up):

papa-shango.jpg

• Like 4

Didn't he have a thing that went viral a year or two ago about same-sex marriage? I seem to remember reading him saying something strongly in favor of it, and being like, "Oh shit. Even Stone Cold said so...."

Yeah, basically said "Hey, it's none of my business what two people do in their personal lives, so if they want to do it, just let them do it, and if you're claiming it's for religious reasons, which one of you actually spoke to God and relayed the message to the rest of us?"

• Like 1

Also my vote for a village people job related member is a crime scene cleanup crew member.

Sorry.

• Like 2

The Pimp:

the-godfather.jpg

Only in America can a pimp become a sports hall of famer.

• Like 2

That opening guitar lick to his theme, you knew the next 10 minutes were going to be must watch TV as a 14 year old.

Better yet, Ice-T did a remix

• Like 1

Ok, I have finally gotten through this thread to make sure that my two measly omissions were not covered and that I would not Jim Steinman all up in this thread, but with all of these replies in this thread I am miraculously safe.

My first omission is that among the group of people waiting in the waiting room to audition for The Village People is Blackie Lawless, the future lead singer of the shock rock/heavy metal band W.A.S.P.. He is one of the two maniacs on the secretary's desk chewing on the phone cords. This basically means that Blackie Lawless auditioned to be one of the Village People, and if you know anything about W.A.S.P. it's pretty amusing. For reference this is W.A.S.P. and Blackie is down in front with the buzz saw arm bands:

YoKNdSe.jpg

And this is W.A.S.P.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZb3Xya7jQ8

The second point I wanted to bring up (and this is briefly touched on in the episode) but this movie came out as the culture as a whole was revolting against disco. The infamous Disco Demolition Night incident had happened almost exactly a year prior (Disco Demolition Night was July, 12th 1979 and CTSM was released June 20th 1980) and Disco record sales had been on a steep decline. From wikipedia:

On July 21, 1979, the top six records on the U.S. music charts were disco songs.[32] By September 22, there were no disco songs in the US Top 10 chart, with the exception of Herb Alpert's jazzy-disco instrumental "Rise".[32] Some in the media, in celebratory tones, declared disco "dead" and rock revived.[32]

On December 27, 1980, disco's consecutive weekly streak of charting on the US Top 10 had reached its end, as no disco hits (of any kind) were present in the US Top 10 for the first time since the week ending February 22, 1975.[citation needed]

This would be essentially the equivalent of something like The Skrillex Movie: A Dubstep Odyssey coming out today (I can't really think of a musical trend that is on the decline other than Dubstep, which was probably already dead 3 years ago).

• Like 5

I just want to apologize to everyone for being a straight, male, CIS-gendered person.

I will try to be more ashamed about my privilege going forward.

I just want to apologize to everyone for being a straight, male, CIS-gendered person.

I will try to be more ashamed about my privilege going forward.

We hope you didn't cut yourself too badly on all your edges.

• Like 11

The second point I wanted to bring up (and this is briefly touched on in the episode) but this movie came out as the culture as a whole was revolting against disco. The infamous Disco Demolition Night incident had happened almost exactly a year prior (Disco Demolition Night was July, 12th 1979 and CTSM was released June 20th 1980) and Disco record sales had been on a steep decline. From wikipedia:

This would be essentially the equivalent of something like The Skrillex Movie: A Dubstep Odyssey coming out today (I can't really think of a musical trend that is on the decline other than Dubstep, which was probably already dead 3 years ago).

Wasn't Disco Demolition where basically the fans raided the White Sox's field and royally fucked it up as disco albums were burning in a bonfire? I remember hearing that people were stealing the actual base plates as well as screwing on the field before cops were able to break it up.

Also in regard to wrestling talk, if you guys haven't seen it I highly recommend watching The Shiek, which is the documentary about the Iron Shiek and how he's had this resurgence as a pop culture icon. It is amazing watching his life story and some of the crap that he's gone through in his career, and he is hilarious to listen to as at this point in his life he just rambles out whatever pops into his head on anything going on around him.

• Like 2

Ok, I have finally gotten through this thread to make sure that my two measly omissions were not covered and that I would not Jim Steinman all up in this thread, but with all of these replies in this thread I am miraculously safe.

Probably because most of the replies have nothing to do with the movie. I feel bad for whoever has to read this thread for corrections and omissions.

It's funny that disco was so "done" when this came out because "The Apple" and "Xanadu" both came out the same year. So Hollywood is clearly on-trend. Also congrats to HDTGM for covering all three. Hat trick!

High fives all around.

• Like 4

Probably because most of the replies have nothing to do with the movie. I feel bad for whoever has to read this thread for corrections and omissions.

I know, I feel like all of the Cameron Esposito (not H) discussion should get spun off into its own thread and locked in the Phantom Zone

giphy.gif

• Like 4

It's funny that disco was so "done" when this came out because "The Apple" and "Xanadu" both came out the same year. So Hollywood is clearly on-trend. Also congrats to HDTGM for covering all three. Hat trick!

High fives all around.

I think the problem is that disco went out the window so quickly. They started shooting all of those films in 79 while disco was still at its peak. But it went from peak to nadir so incredibly fast that by the time post was done on them, the fad had already passed. I would have hated to be in any of the marketing meetings for the studio trying to figure out how to promote these movies. I'm sure they were like, "Well, how do we lose the least money on these?"

• Like 4

Disco jumped the shark when Kiss released "I Was Made For Loving You", I think that was what might have been the flashpoint. When Kiss releases a disco album, that shit's gone too far.

Probably because most of the replies have nothing to do with the movie.

Yeah, I feel like this has been a real bad movie for this to happen on. It was a two hour episode so they were able to cover quite a bit and there wasn't a whole lot there to begin with. Between, Paul, Jason, Cameron and Pete, they pretty much covered all of the points I wanted to make--which wasn't even a whole lot to begin with. Since I watched it with my son in the room and he wasn't letting me just soak up its awesomeness, I'm going to try watching it again tomorrow morning. Maybe then I can find something worth talking about...

I know, I feel like all of the Cameron Esposito (not H) discussion should get spun off into its own thread and locked in the Phantom Zone

Shit, son. This was me every time I read some variation of, "Cameron sucks."

Supernatural-Dean.gif

• Like 3

Omission: When Steve Guttenberg shows her the track, Valerie Perrine says, "I can't hear the song for the singing," which launches into them getting a different vocalist. But when he's showing her the track, he's also SCATTING OVER IT like a freakin' lunatic -- no lyrics, no melody, just that insane "Ba baaa da da TAAA boom tch tch" that he does when he's songwriting. By the way, as a songwriter with lots of songwriting friends: NOBODY I know composes the way Guttenberg does.

Can somebody make a supercut of Steve Guttenberg songwriting? Every time he does it I think about Bob Odenkirk writing marches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW-g3D2uE3w

ALSO: I googled "Steve Guttenberg Composing" to see if I could find a video snippet of him doing it, and I found a page of "Steve Guttenberg Facts," which includes this tidbit:

"Steve Guttenberg has tried composing music in the past but they always sound too much like pre-existing works. Fearing legal action, he only plays them at small informal social gatherings."

• Like 6

Omission: When Steve Guttenberg shows her the track, Valerie Perrine says, "I can't hear the song for the singing," which launches into them getting a different vocalist. But when he's showing her the track, he's also SCATTING OVER IT like a freakin' lunatic -- no lyrics, no melody, just that insane "Ba baaa da da TAAA boom tch tch" that he does when he's songwriting. By the way, as a songwriter with lots of songwriting friends: NOBODY I know composes the way Guttenberg does.

Can somebody make a supercut of Steve Guttenberg songwriting? Every time he does it I think about Bob Odenkirk writing marches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW-g3D2uE3w

ALSO: I googled "Steve Guttenberg Composing" to see if I could find a video snippet of him doing it, and I found a page of "Steve Guttenberg Facts," which includes this tidbit:

"Steve Guttenberg has tried composing music in the past but they always sound too much like pre-existing works. Fearing legal action, he only plays them at small informal social gatherings."

Yesss...I love The Great Philouza sketch. "ALL YOU GIVE ME ARE DRUMMERS!"

Now excuse me while I go disappear into a Mr Show black hole on YouTube. First stop: Monsters of Megaphone.

• Like 2

High fives all around.

Well the same thing happened with the Grammys where they had the Best Disco Award in 1980, after disco was dead. It was the only year that they had the award.

• Like 3

The Grammy's also awarded the first ever "Best Metal Album" to Jethro fucking Tull!

• Like 2

Zardoz just wanted to pop in and give his two cents on the penis

• Like 2

The Grammy's also awarded the first ever "Best Metal Album" to Jethro fucking Tull!

Truly the day the Grammys lost all credibility.

The Mountie:

Mountie.jpg

Now you've gone and taken it too far.

Payback is a bitch brother!

2em339j.jpg

here is the missing member of the village people they even wrote a song about him..

He's a Macho Macho Man.

and wait for it when you click on the video.

That video is perfect even if I do say so myself. it's just what I was looking for. but it would be even better brother if at the end of it the Macho Man would say despite what people say you can get a good meal at the YMCA!

Wait a minute, it's all falling into play... Macho Man... How Did This Get Made... June and Paul's discussion about being a man...

4145YX7GQ9L._SY300_.jpg

I don't think it needs to be said, but somebody needs to shop June's head onto the Macho Man.

• Like 4