🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 134 - Can't Stop the Music: LIVE!

Oh since we're talking about the movie (again? for the first time?), now I remember a correction/omission I had thought of earlier:

Throughout the episode the pronoun "he" is used to refer to the director, except for the one time Paul first brings the director up. The director was actually a woman: Nancy Walker. Walker is better known as an actress. She had her own show, "The Nancy Walker Show" in the 70s and played Ida Morgenstern on "Rhoda." As far as I can tell, "Can't Stop the Music" is the only feature she directed though she also did episodes of "Alice" and "Mary Tyler Moore."

I think the panel didn't know she was a woman because, statistically, it's rare for a woman to direct a feature film. I remember seeing a news article that a studio (I think it was Fox?) announced it's slate up until 2018 and didn't have a single female director attached to any project. Here's a Variety article about the lack of female directors: http://variety.com/2...era-1201626691/

Anyway! This movie was produced by gay men and directed by a woman. It's so progressive I'm saving money on car insurance!

ETA:

Fuck all y'all. Coconut is the shit.

*jason voice* WHAT?!? I'm done with you, bro.

• Like 6

Fuck all y'all. Coconut is the shit.

Oh fuck, you thought the thread was a mess before...

I'm so sick of people coming on here and saying "coconut is the shit," when objectively, that's just not true. I mean, I'd like to post one post on how gross coconut is without everyone crying to their mommies like a bunch of little bitches. Although, I can't say I'm surprised. This is the kind of PC, liberal hate-speech I've come to expect from you, Fister! Why don't you take that shit to Reddit where you and your argumentative, dipshit, Internet buds (who can't take a little bit of honest criticism) can go have a circle jerk about how great coconut is?

I want Paul, whether he enjoys coconut or not, to ban all coconuts from ever appearing on HDTGM ever again!

I HATE YOU!!!!! MY OPINION IS KING!!!!!!!!!

J/k--I love you, Fister.

• Like 8

My posts are sponsored by Big Coconut.

You can't even take this seriously, can you?

Look, I don't want anyone to misunderstand me, it's not like I hate all coconuts. Some of my favorite tropical cocktails have coconut rum in it. It's like Rupert Holmes sang, "Do you like Pina Coladas?" Answer: Of course, we all do. It's just when they start mixing with other foods, it's just not right. When God invented cupcakes, they were perfect as they were. If you add shredded coconut onto the icing, you're going against his will. (See: 13 Epicurians 54-69)

I just don't see why coconut has to be all up in your face all the time, pretending like it's going to taste one way, when it actually tastes another way. If you want to know my biggest fear, it's that I'm going to take a huge bite into a pie one day, thinking it's a normal, delicious cream pie, only to find out it's coconut cream! That's what the coconuts really want, you know!

6EIwabn%20-%20Imgur%20(2).gif

I'm sorry. This is amusing me. It's kind of cathartic. I can do this all day. I'm back at work today and I ain't got nothing but time.

• Like 7

You can't even take this seriously, can you?

Look, I don't want anyone to misunderstand me, it's not like I hate all coconuts. Some of my favorite tropical cocktails have coconut rum in it. It's like Rupert Holmes sang, "Do you like Pina Coladas?" Answer: Of course, we all do.

I don't. I also don't like ham. Wanna fight me?

SMR7NWK.gif

• Like 5

FYI this was basically Germany's answer to The Village People

• Like 2

I don't. I also don't like ham. Wanna fight me?

SMR7NWK.gif

Name a couple drinks, and I'll speak at you about how wrong you are for liking them.

As for ham...I'm pretty ambivalent on the subject, but we can still fight about it if you want. Just as long as I can say what I want, as loudly as I want, and as discourteously as I want, so I can keep everyone's attention focused where it belongs--squarely on me.

• Like 3

What other food could we fight about? Oh I know...

tumblr_nme5mdWjbV1u4rwwso1_500.jpg

Controversial opinion: I don't like 'em. The peanut butter to candy ratio is all off. Much prefer a peanut butter cup.

Yeah that's right, I said it. And all of you trying to SHAME ME for my opinion. Guess what? Reddit agrees with me.

• Like 6

This might be getting too 'Meta' but I'd love to see a future episode of HDTGM about episode 134 of the HDTGM podcast.

How did 134 get made??

I'm not joking but to the complaints going on. I think its a huge compliment in a way, fans now expect so much epic funny from the Live episodes, even more if June is there in person (or via Skype) and then this particular movie was just such a perfect 'setup' to get hilariously trounced by the trio.

So take it as a compliment guys. If she'd done this on 1000 other podcasts or even some other in-studio earlier episodes you'd just get little annoyance but because the show is now reaching new awesome high-levels of expectation so was the devastation.

Think of yourselves as Star Wars Prequels!

Controversial opinion: I don't like 'em. The peanut butter to candy ratio is all off. Much prefer a peanut butter cup.

Yeah that's right, I said it. And all of you trying to SHAME ME for my opinion. Guess what? Reddit agrees with me.

You're wrong! Wrong, wrong, wrong! And I know you think it's unassailable, but Reddit's wrong too. Yeah, I said it.

Guys, I could have sworn you all shared all of my tastes and opinions (i.e. all the right ones), how could I have been so taken in by all of you? I feel betrayed. How are we to have a fully functional and healthy society if we don't all agree about everything all the time? How can we learn and grow if we don't exist in an echo chamber of similar thoughts and interests? I don't want to be challenged!

The next thing you know, you guys are going to try and convince me that lobster is actually good, and not the nasty Sea Spiders we all know them to be. News Flash: Butter sauce doesn't hide gross, viscous flesh.

• Like 3

I used to work in a candy store in high school/college-the-first-time. I used to shovel those into my face by the bucketful. They're amazing, but if you call them "pee-sees" (or the brand "ree-sees") you can fuck right off. I'll be over here with my Sno Balls and Reese's Pieces just fat kidding it up.

• Like 5

Think of yourselves as Star Wars Prequels!

Whoa...low blow, man. We try to keep it civil around here.

Fuck coconuts

• Like 5

This might be getting too 'Meta' but I'd love to see a future episode of HDTGM about episode 134 of the HDTGM podcast.

How did 134 get made??

How about a live (over) dramatic reading of this entire thread, have every guest star they can find to play as every individual poster.

Also Reese's pieces rock in my movie popcorn.

And almond joys are my jam

• Like 3

How about a live (over) dramatic reading of this entire thread, have every guest star they can find to play as every individual poster.

Dibs on Jessica St Clair as one Fister Roboto.

• Like 3

Almond joys are my jam

I. Love. This!

Especially if you include all the posts where people feebly tried to talk about the movie. So it would go something like:

• I hated this episode, dummies!
  • I loved it, stupid!
  • I had trouble with how the Native American character was portrayed...
  • I HATE You!

• Like 4

Dibs on Jessica St Clair as one Fister Roboto.

Good idea, Fister! We should definitely cast this...ooh...who could play me? I don't want to be greedy...

• Like 2

Good idea, Fister! We should definitely cast this...ooh...who could play me? I don't want to be greedy...

I'm wondering that about me too. I was thinking Paul could play you, maybe.

• Like 3

And almond joys are my jam

I think almonds are terrible, they taste like tree bark, and you're a horrible bigot for liking them.

• Like 5

I'm wondering that about me too. I was thinking Paul could play you, maybe.

I can live with that.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-25115-1357665681-0.gif

You want Lapkus?

• Like 3

Isn't it strange that the film creates this whole fictional (shit) origin story if how the band got together, when The Village People are an actual group. There's a real story of how they got together. Why the actual fuck didn't they just tell THAT story?

• Like 4

In respond to the audience member question why the construction worker got a solo song. Isn't it because he's got much better union representation than the other professions represented in the Village People?

• Like 9

(I'm on a bit of a roll now)

Did this film invent the jukebox musical where they string a bit of story around someone's greatest hits? Like Mamma Mia, Rock of Ages and so on?

• Like 5