🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Hannah'Manny'Forseen

500 Days of Summer v Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I think that these two films would make for a great episode because while they differ greatly in tone both films utilize nonlinear storytelling, critique the manic pixie dream girl trope, and are interesting commentaries on modern relationships. I love both films, would enjoy hearing your opinions, and wonder how the listeners would vote.

I like it! I'm still holding out hope Michel Gondry has another movie left in him on Eternal Sunshine's level. And Marc Webb before he got tangled up in the Spidey debacle. Also, just want to give a shout-out to another good MPDG critique, Ruby Sparks. It didn't make the same splash these two did, but it's almost right up there in my book.

• Like 1

Given the level of acclaim that Eternal Sunshine... has amassed over the years, it'd be a huge blow-out for that film. That said, I think (500) Days of Summer is a solid film that is pretty lazily misinterpreted as a MPDG story--which it sort of is, though it's more subversive than that designation implies. I guess ESotSMis also somewhat like that--though the turn in expectations happens far earlier in the film.

Anyway, I think they're both really good, but I think the former has the advantage, no question.

500 Days is a good film but Eternal Sunshine is on a whole other level for me. Stunning cinematography and knock-out performances (it's also one of the few films to make me cry every time I see it), I definitely want to see it in the Canon.

I liked both movies, but for me, the competition isn't really close.

What's remarkable about Eternal Sunshine is that it captured the peak performance of nearly every major player involved: Jim Carrey and Michel Gondry, unquestionably. I would argue for Kate Winslet, too, and that this is the best Charlie Kaufman-penned film, although I am partial to Adaptation.

• Like 1

I'd be down to clown for an Adaptation vs. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind episode. That would be a legitimately challenging episode. Or even Being John Malkovich vs. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Sign in to follow this