🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 416 - Silicone Bralley Poo Crew

I would watch THE FUCK out of a show called "Thomas Middleditch: Turd Hunter"

I expect to see it on Seeso very soon

• Like 4

Lots of Load?

Loafed On Legs?

I would hate to know what LMFAO in yr pants would be like.

Whatamess!

In this context I think it means "Let Out Liquid"

And "LMFAO in my pants" would be "Let My Fucking Ass Open in My Pants"

• Like 2

This was one of the rare podcast episodes where driving my car was dangerous. Middleditch is the best.

• Like 4

I was equally confused about the dabs rig bit. "Is this from Blade Runner?" was amazing.

gotta be honest. not a fan of the racist chinese accent middleditch is doing in this podcast. turned me off a lot. and i can tell kumail felt a bit awkward about it as well. i mean would they do a stereotypical indian accent in front of him, saying India was calling. Hell no. Not sure why doing a stereotypical chinese accent is any better.

first time i actually was offended by anything on this show. i don't think anyone should be condemned for it, or blocked from doing such things. i think comedy should be completely open. but i didn't find it very funny personally, and was offended. but nobody cares when asian people are offended really. we are an easy target because we never complain or cause too much of a ruckus about things.

kind of sad you guys had to stoop to this sort of really cheap/easy stuff. it's not like you guys aren't great at comedy and improv. why rely on such easy things that require zero creativity? i mean anyone could do that voice.

• Like 1

I must apologise to Mister Malaka as this week's catchphrase was his not mine, I feel ashamed :(

• Like 1

i mean would they do a stereotypical indian accent in front of him, saying India was calling. Hell no.

I feel like Pakistani-American comedian Kumail Nanjiani would be more annoyed at being mistaken for Indian. Middleditch was a blast on this episode and it sounded like Nanjiani was loving it too. Grep of the year yet.

• Like 9

gotta be honest. not a fan of the racist chinese accent middleditch is doing in this podcast. turned me off a lot. and i can tell kumail felt a bit awkward about it as well. i mean would they do a stereotypical indian accent in front of him, saying India was calling. Hell no. Not sure why doing a stereotypical chinese accent is any better.

first time i actually was offended by anything on this show. i don't think anyone should be condemned for it, or blocked from doing such things. i think comedy should be completely open. but i didn't find it very funny personally, and was offended. but nobody cares when asian people are offended really. we are an easy target because we never complain or cause too much of a ruckus about things.

kind of sad you guys had to stoop to this sort of really cheap/easy stuff. it's not like you guys aren't great at comedy and improv. why rely on such easy things that require zero creativity? i mean anyone could do that voice.

Lol

• Like 4

I must apologise to Mister Malaka as this week's catchphrase was his not mine, I feel ashamed :(

Haha no worries, it wasn't your fault. All you did was comment on the catchphrase.

Now you've given me an idea to comment on all of the catchphrases by thevoblex and Shampoodler...

• Like 4

I think since you are an asian person and the middleditch character is clearly an asian stereotype, you 100% have the right to be offended and I get that offense. I would say however, that this isn't a 'planned' character as far as I know and came up organically the first time the Silicon Valley boys were on, but overall I would say that the 'character work' on comedy bang bang is often pretty stereotype based. These comedians are using purely audio to convey and create these characters that have to be somewhat unique from their others and other guests' other characters, so I think it would be tough for them to come up with numerous characters that don't offend somebody.

I will just say that in terms of stereotypical accents, I don't think this is overtly offensive. I could be forgetting pretty awful offensive references, but I don't think Thomas was making stereotypical hurtful asian references. To me, there are references you can get away with and references you absolutely cannot, (i.e. if Thomas made reference to eating cats/dogs, I think that would go a bit over the top) but also I think a lot of the laughter here both by the listeners and by the other humans present in the room is due to the fact that this is a bad character, i.e. offensive.

So I get where you're coming from completely, but the overwhelming majority of CBB characters are not hurtful, and at times the comedians do push the limits to get a bit of that nervous laughter where they know its too far and thats some of the fun. I don't think you'll see Thomas Middleditch touring the country doing hour sets of his asian character

• Like 6

i mean would they do a stereotypical indian accent in front of him, saying India was calling. Hell no. Not sure why doing a stereotypical chinese accent is any better.

Lol for someone so concerned with being PC you sure are ignorant. They're called Native Americans, alright? Kumail is Native American.

• Like 5

I'm glad you spoke up about this, and like StanSitwell said if your gut reaction was that you were offended, it's not up to us to question that. This is really complex for me, being white, and finding what Middleditch is doing absolutely hilarious. The call from china was one of my all time best moments from last year and I was on the floor hearing it again this time.

It feels like a cop out to say we're laughing with you, not at you, because it doesn't sound like you're laughing about this. But I will say Scott, Martin, and especially Kumail's hesitance and obvious disapproval grounded the bit in a place where everybody unanimously agrees its offensive, and yet they still prod him on to do it because of how funny it is. Kumail is usually the one saying NO stop, because he knows its offensive, and yet he also sounds like he is laughing the hardest by far.

All told, I don't blame you once iota for being offended by the China character. That said, I don't personally think it's anymore intentionally offensive than his Klaus character is against Germans speaking English with an accent.

• Like 4

You say it was offensive, and I get that it's stereotypical and lazy, but I don't get what's offensive about it. It's not like he used the accent to imply anything about the Chinese people, except that perhaps they don't speak English without a discernible accent, and I don't see what's offensive about that.

• Like 1

All told, I don't blame you once iota for being offended by the China character. That said, I don't personally think it's anymore intentionally offensive than his Klaus character is against Germans speaking English with an accent.

I kind of have to blame divadong for being offended. It's both hypocritical as well as stupid. Middleditch did almost half of the episode in a stereotypical "Southern" and "flaming homosexual" voice while playing a character that sucks dick for money. Divadong didn't seem to give two shits about that. Comedians use stereotype and hyperbole all the time to heighten the situation and create crazy, completely unrealistic characters. That's how things become funny. What matters is how they use stereotype and hyperbole. I don't think Middleditch was trying to make fun of Chinese people or gay people in the episode; he was just being ridiculous for a laugh. Before anyone feels offended by a character in a comedy show they need to actually think about the reason for the use of stereotype. If it's used maliciously to make fun of or attack a group of people, then yeah whoever is doing it needs to be called out as a bigot and an asshole (which is very relevant right now because many older white people decry "PC culture" in the US when they are actually just bummed it's not acceptable to be racist anymore). But if it's just being used as a stupid goof to make you laugh, be an adult about it and grow some thicker skin.

• Like 6

I kind of have to blame divadong for being offended. It's both hypocritical as well as stupid. Middleditch did almost half of the episode in a stereotypical "Southern" and "flaming homosexual" voice while playing a character that sucks dick for money. Divadong didn't seem to give two shits about that. Comedians use stereotype and hyperbole all the time to heighten the situation and create crazy, completely unrealistic characters. That's how things become funny. What matters is how they use stereotype and hyperbole. I don't think Middleditch was trying to make fun of Chinese people or gay people in the episode; he was just being ridiculous for a laugh. Before anyone feels offended by a character in a comedy show they need to actually think about the reason for the use of stereotype. If it's used maliciously to make fun of or attack a group of people, then yeah whoever is doing it needs to be called out as a bigot and an asshole (which is very relevant right now because many older white people decry "PC culture" in the US when they are actually just bummed it's not acceptable to be racist anymore). But if it's just being used as a stupid goof to make you laugh, be an adult about it and grow some thicker skin.

I completely agree about the other accents he did and using hyperbole, but you can't tell somebody they're wrong for being offended. It's worth asking why they felt that way, but they still felt hurt/marginalized/stereotyped as a gut reaction. It's conflicting, but the country of China isn't any less my new favorite recurring character because of it. Nothing can change the fact that it's hysterical to me.

• Like 2

and i can tell kumail felt a bit awkward about it as well. i mean would they do a stereotypical indian accent in front of him, saying India was calling. Hell no.

Anyone else catch how Martin actually DID start doing a stereotypical South Asian voice right at Kumail? I'm trying to find a time stamp on it right now, someone post it if you remember. It was in the background and only for a hot minute.

The inherent funniness vs the low hanging stereotype fruit of the "Asian accent" is great at highlighting the fundamental tensions in comedy. I struggle to intellectualize the issue all the time because it really isn't intellectual why many people enjoy it--we like laughing at "the other". It's not to say that the other is bad, just different. And different is funny. Personally, I feel like Middleditch has enough interesting wrinkles that play against the type to keep things interesting. Like someone mentioned earlier, if it was just talking about being a bad driver and doing math it would be even more problematic. I think jokes about doing tai chi instead of kung fu and "fat boy" are more nuanced.

• Like 3

Hil-to-the-arious. Tommy middlebottombitch has a ton of funny characters. Idk get why ppl are crying over his accents?!? It's comedy it's supposed to be borderline messed up and edgy. Jeeeez. Babies should watch Barney, that comedy is a little more conservative.

you can't tell somebody they're wrong for being offended.

No, no no no, FUCKING NO. What you just said, even though it was couched in how you enjoy the bit, is everything wrong with today's perpetually offended SJW mentality. You absolutely can tell somebody they are wrong for being offended, because nobody is entitled to that whiny bullshit. People are itching, in fact they are clawing at their own faces, waiting for something to be offended by, so they can take some moral highground and preach about how wrong something is. For the last few years we have faced an unprecedented shift in attitude, where somehow emotion is much more important than reason, where someone being offended or triggered somehow trumps common sense, rationality, diversity of opinion and any semblance of logical thought. Nobody is ever entitled to be offended, unless we also accept that everyone else is entitled to call them a fucking idiot and point out how they are objectively wrong. This is COMEDY, so people can take their attempts at PC censorship, concentrate hard enough until it manifests into a physical object, and then fuck themselves with it.

By the way, amazing episode. I could listen to the Silicon Valley crew, particularly Middleditch, for hours and hours. Is there a reason TJ Miller has never been on? He's the only piece of this puzzle that's missing, and I think he'd mesh with CBB famously. Also Zach Woods, he's great on Improv 4 Humans.

Completely unrelated except for some crossover between the comedians, but I also wonder if there are any plans to have Jake and Amir on Comedy Bang Bang. I think they'd be amazing guests.

• Like 4

By the way, amazing episode. I could listen to the Silicon Valley crew, particularly Middleditch, for hours and hours. Is there a reason TJ Miller has never been on? He's the only piece of this puzzle that's missing, and I think he'd mesh with CBB famously.

This a thousand times, I was thinking the other night, has TJ ever been on? Or been on in the last few years? because I can't recall it, and he would unquestionably bring a ton more laughs into the room. I recall him being on Never Not Funny a while back and that was an outstanding episode. Why no TJ Jagadowski??

• Like 1

This a thousand times, I was thinking the other night, has TJ ever been on? Or been on in the last few years? because I can't recall it, and he would unquestionably bring a ton more laughs into the room. I recall him being on Never Not Funny a while back and that was an outstanding episode. Why no TJ Jagadowski??

As an FYI, the Earwolf site has a great search feature for guests. If you click their profile it lists all episodes of any show they've ever appeared on.

http://www.earwolf.com/directory?role=guest

Using it now it doesn't look like TJ Miller has been on any Earwolf shows.

No, no no no, FUCKING NO. What you just said, even though it was couched in how you enjoy the bit, is everything wrong with today's perpetually offended SJW mentality. You absolutely can tell somebody they are wrong for being offended, because nobody is entitled to that whiny bullshit. People are itching, in fact they are clawing at their own faces, waiting for something to be offended by, so they can take some moral highground and preach about how wrong something is. For the last few years we have faced an unprecedented shift in attitude, where somehow emotion is much more important than reason, where someone being offended or triggered somehow trumps common sense, rationality, diversity of opinion and any semblance of logical thought. Nobody is ever entitled to be offended, unless we also accept that everyone else is entitled to call them a fucking idiot and point out how they are objectively wrong. This is COMEDY, so people can take their attempts at PC censorship, concentrate hard enough until it manifests into a physical object, and then fuck themselves with it.

As much as I agree with your statements, and in general I do, it torpedoes your argument to use buzzword phrases like SJW. It just turns my brain off to thinking anyone is saying anything worthwhile when I see it.

• Like 4