🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 416 - Silicone Bralley Poo Crew

As an FYI, the Earwolf site has a great search feature for guests. If you click their profile it lists all episodes of any show they've ever appeared on.

http://www.earwolf.c...tory?role=guest

Using it now it doesn't look like TJ Miller has been on any Earwolf shows.

Well thanks for the zing, I know about that but I thought I was just engaging in conversation with fellow earwolf fans and TJ Miller fans. TJ has been on earwolf podcasts, looks like a few Sklarbros, Totally Laime, Who Charted, and an NNF. I wonder if there is bad blood between Scott and TJ somehow

• Like 1

Well thanks for the zing, I know about that but I thought I was just engaging in conversation with fellow earwolf fans and TJ Miller fans. TJ has been on earwolf podcasts, looks like a few Sklarbros, Totally Laime, Who Charted, and an NNF. I wonder if there is bad blood between Scott and TJ somehow

"Zing"? I think NTP was being genuine, because if you search for "TJ Miller" (i.e. without periods), nothing comes up.

Was anyone else bothered that there were no women and only one non-white on this ep?

They did talk to an Asian on the phone, though.

• Like 9

Was anyone else bothered that there were no women and only one non-white on this ep?

As a misogynist and a white supremacist, I'm cool with it

• Like 1

No, no no no, FUCKING NO. What you just said, even though it was couched in how you enjoy the bit, is everything wrong with today's perpetually offended SJW mentality. You absolutely can tell somebody they are wrong for being offended, because nobody is entitled to that whiny bullshit. People are itching, in fact they are clawing at their own faces, waiting for something to be offended by, so they can take some moral highground and preach about how wrong something is. For the last few years we have faced an unprecedented shift in attitude, where somehow emotion is much more important than reason, where someone being offended or triggered somehow trumps common sense, rationality, diversity of opinion and any semblance of logical thought. Nobody is ever entitled to be offended, unless we also accept that everyone else is entitled to call them a fucking idiot and point out how they are objectively wrong. This is COMEDY, so people can take their attempts at PC censorship, concentrate hard enough until it manifests into a physical object, and then fuck themselves with it.

Please explain to us how what's funny and/or offensive is totally objective and based on rationality? That's an insane POV, to me. What people enjoy or are offended by seems to me to be wholly subjective.

I am very against censorship and promote free expression, but this is the kind of talk that gives a bad name to people who believe that comedy is a thoughtful and necessary way to push boundaries in society.

• Like 2

Middleditch went all in.

He went Fullditch.

Also the whole point of the China calls is that they are absolutely offensive and it makes Kumail uncomfortable. That's where the comedic tension comes from. Without Kumail being offended the bit wouldn't really work. Same reason for bringing up Gillian Anderson's PJ's.

• Like 4

He went Fullditch.

Also the whole point of the China calls is that they are absolutely offensive and it makes Kumail uncomfortable. That's where the comedic tension comes from. Without Kumail being offended the bit wouldn't really work. Same reason for bringing up Gillian Anderson's PJ's.

Totally agree. He did it only because he knew how much it would bother Kumail and the more it bothered him the further he went, 'Foolish, FOOLISH MAN!'. It's people who do something like that and are like, 'What? I'm not being offensive, what's your problem?' that are the problem. When someone goes in with the purpose of making up a character that is clearly well beyond the way any human being would sound as that stereotype, with the purpose of being offensive, and understanding they are doing that, then to me it isn't the same.

"Zing"? I think NTP was being genuine, because if you search for "TJ Miller" (i.e. without periods), nothing comes up.

Yea it's partially on me for not spelling it right and saying he hadn't been on, but for sure not meant as a zing. It's funny when you try to be genuinely helpful on the internet but someone still thinks you're just being a sarcastic asshole.

• Like 1

Please explain to us how what's funny and/or offensive is totally objective and based on rationality? That's an insane POV, to me. What people enjoy or are offended by seems to me to be wholly subjective.

I am very against censorship and promote free expression, but this is the kind of talk that gives a bad name to people who believe that comedy is a thoughtful and necessary way to push boundaries in society.

I agree 100% that what people enjoy or are offended by is subjective, and I didn't mean to imply that there are absolutes when it comes to taste in comedy or what's funny. I mean when somebody says they are offended, others are equally "entitled" to point out how that's ridiculous. I definitely shouldn't have added "objectively" into that sentence, because during my rant I forgot that the guy didn't say "that is offensive" or "that is wrong", he was just saying that he finds it offensive/tasteless. We can't tell him he's not offended, but we can attempt to point out how he's wrong; I don't believe anyone is entitled to being offended without their stance being criticized, and that's the mentality that I had such a strong reaction to. It's like the idea that people are entitled to their opinions, as if that somehow validates their opinions even if they are wrong. It doesn't.

Also, in terms of using the acronym SJW, I really don't see anything wrong with it if it's useful in describing a pervasive mentality among people in our society and especially on the internet. There are other ways to describe it, but I find it a useful term to let people know exactly the kind of person you're talking about.

People who think Kumail is legitimately insulted by the China character should check out the video of him and Middleditch doing a very similar bit at Meltdown, about how the accent isn't racist if Middleditch is just playing a white guy who was raised in China. I can't find a link to it, but I promise it exists. Calling something offensive is one thing, but presuming offense for someone else is even worse.

Again, great ep! I feel shitty for derailing the thread with my rant, but I had to get that out. Maybe not the right place, but I'm getting really sick of it and have been for awhile.

• Like 2

while playing a character that sucks dick for money.

Except that he was just the rare breed that sucks dick and then gives you money.

Yea it's partially on me for not spelling it right and saying he hadn't been on, but for sure not meant as a zing. It's funny when you try to be genuinely helpful on the internet but someone still thinks you're just being a sarcastic asshole.

Sorry bud, it really felt like the classic scummy "ohhhh, let me google that for you, asshole". sometimes you ask a question in a community of people knowing others will have the answer at the tip of their tongue and will want to engage about it, so I guess I've just built up a level of internet defensiveness due to previous encounters on message boards where someone takes something you've said out of context and calls you an asshole. So, this is my way of saying sorry I did that same thing to you!

• Like 2

Not to derail the conversation here but I just wanted to say this episode has some of the best burps I've heard this week. That is all.

• Like 4

Sorry bud, it really felt like the classic scummy "ohhhh, let me google that for you, asshole". sometimes you ask a question in a community of people knowing others will have the answer at the tip of their tongue and will want to engage about it, so I guess I've just built up a level of internet defensiveness due to previous encounters on message boards where someone takes something you've said out of context and calls you an asshole. So, this is my way of saying sorry I did that same thing to you!

You're a solid bro despite your eyebrows not being real.

• Like 2

Thomas is insane, always a treat when he's a guest, and this time he went all in... Laughed my ass off, love him!

• Like 1

ARE WE REALLY ARGUING HERE? It's hilarious. The humor is how aware they are that it IS offensive accompanied by Middleditch's great improv.

• Like 1

It's been a couple months and I keep coming back to listen to this amazing episode... that first 25 minute stretch or so is just overstuffed with gold.

Aside from the controversial China bit, you gotta love "PJ!! PJ dripping off the walls!" and "you guys wanna play some basset ball?"

But my absolute favorite part is the out-of-nowhere "Oh god... when you think about it... 6 million dead???" character.

Middleditch = total lunatic

...also Scott taking so much smug pleasure out of saying "medias res" over and over is pretty great too.

Favorite episode of the year, offensiveness and all! hoorah!