🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 130 - Mike Lawrence, Our Close Friend

I'm going to make a special mid-week trip to my grandfather's tomb to give him the answer to the question that haunted his later years, "what's the difference between NY and LA?".

Something about Jews.

• Like 12

When I saw Hayes pop into last week's thread asking for PopCorn Gallery questions, a few people had already posted questions. I thought, "Eh, not gonna bother, because he'll probably just be taking three from the first page." Feel pretty dumb here, folks. Gotta believe in myself in the future, just like Kieran.

I did the same thing brother. We'll get 'em next time.

• Like 8

uh what gives i live in north carolina and i tried to listen to this episode and it said i wasnt allowed because of my state and hb2 WTF I DIDNT MAKE THIS LAW THE GOVERNOR OR MAYOR OR SOMETHING DID IT

• Like 19

Glad I could help salvage this episode guys. Happy to do it again next week.

2HNEPqY.jpg?1

This kind of gives the impression that he immediately shut down pretty much everything by saying "no" to all of it, but I just listened again and he does generously throw in an "I guess" to one of Sean's questions

• Like 19

I'm going to make a special mid-week trip to my grandfather's tomb to give him the answer to the question that haunted his later years, "what's the difference between NY and LA?".

Something about Jews.

New York's presence in the narrative is so huge, the city is practically a character itself.

• Like 13

It occurs to me that when a Hollywood Handbook guest doesn't immediately vibe with the vibe of the show and the forums and Sean and Hayes's vibes, maybe it isn't necessarily because that guest is a dumb uncooperative jerk.

I try to imagine what it would be like if I was on the show, and that isn't very helpful, because I would be great and do a very good job. But then I try to imagine if somebody else was on the show, and I could see it being kind of tricky to do what Sean and Hayes do, or even to just react to them in a clever or coherent way. Look at the engineers, they are so smart that they are literally engineers, but it has taken them like a thousand tries to be somewhat bearable, and they still fuck up in an infuriating and embarrassing way at least 98% of the time.

All that being said, word on the street is that Mike Lawrence actually IS smart and funny, so in his case I think he must have just felt like being uncooperative.

• Like 22

Mr. Lawrence, I'm so sorry to inform you that you actually DO have to care about what we say about you on the forum. That is a rule. So I will say that you seem like you have a lot of things going for you in life, great job, chin up buddy :)

PS The Boss fired me because he said my skirt was inappropriately short so feel free to spread around some of that good fortune

• Like 23

Spunky has a point. There are lots of different comedy schools out there. "Yes, and" might be very popular, but it should cause us to overlook other comedic expressions. For example,

- Chicago is seeing a surge of excitement around the "I'm sorry, what?" experiment

- Atlanta's improv scene is emerging thanks to the hilarious "I'm not sure, but I'm scared of" nights at suburban clubs

- LA is a bit smitten with the "yes, and" school at the moment, but I expect "Honeychild please!, but do go on" to catch up soon

- NYC, which is very different from LA has already moved beyond "yes, and" in favor of "hmm, no, but maybe"

So really it's to each their own. I, for one, am thankful for everyone who is funny enough, brave enough, willing enough, and simply does not have a valid excuse to get out of doing this podcast. To all who have been willing to not make up a dental appointment to get out of providing us many minutes of laughs and awkward silences, we here at the forum thank you.

• Like 20

Mike's beard reminded me of a fun thing I invented that sadly never caught on. It's really cool and anyone can do it as long as they have two hands. You take your pinky, ring, and middle fingers and interlace them so that the tip of each finger is nestled in the (for lack of a better term) crotch area between the fingers on the opposite hand. Then put the tips of your index fingers together and stick your thumbs straight up. Then you put it on your face and it's a hand beard with index finger moustache and thumb sideburns. Try it yourself when you get home, and think of all the friends you'll make when you show them your cool new trick!

• Like 10

"ah, a genuine laugh".

also, if someone from NY hadn't told me that the tap water is why the dough is so much better for pie (pizza) out there, i would have thought Sean was making up something really silly. that's insanity though. new yorkers. they'll never have it as good as we do out here in lipstick city. i mean, their tap-water is way too clean. if you're gonna make a taco on the street, that cart better have some dirty ass water, or it's not even really tacos

EDIT: this is my 500th post. woohoo! here's my friend and i chillin back posted at some diner or some shit.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

I never realized how much Benicio Del Toro looks like a young Walter Matthau. Or how much Joaquin Phoenix looked like mutton-chopped Jason Mantzoukas.

• Like 10

Update: I'm all caught up now.

I for one respect Mike for at least admitting to Sean and Hayes that it was indeed 11am on a Saturday.

• Like 9

In all seriousness, I hope that if Mike Lawrence looks at the the forums like he suggested he might, he doesn't take any snarkiness too seriously. He handled a situation that he wasn't familiar with pretty well. Even as a fan of the show, I would be a total boom goes the dynamite situation if I were in his place. At least he didn't go all Pauly Shore and call Sean a homo or anything

• Like 14

Totally agree. All in good fun. Of course our Boyz thrive in the kind of grinding anti-comedy but good jokes-times that Mike was pretty unwilling to indulge. It could have gone on longer tbh imho

• Like 5

Also curious as to who set him up on HH similar to Pauly. I would love to see Tim Heidecker going toe to toe with S & H!

• Like 6

(Ignore this if you're a below the line forumer)

Hey Hayes,

I was wondering if you could maybe slip in a word to Sean (Clements) and possibly get me a copy of the Pro Version. All of my friends on the forums have it and I don't, which is a bit awk-waaaard, if you know what I mean.

Sup Sean,

I don't know if Hayes already told you, but I'm kind of reaching out to you guys to get the Pro Version next week or maybe even the week after that or really whenever you guys are up to it. I understand that there must be some complications with my subscription (I mean, I've been on the forums for a million friggin years), but if you could put in a word to Hayes, I'd be a very happy boy. I'm really aching for this.

Love,

Chicknsandwich (the guy with the big tits)

• Like 14

I nominate PutSome Gravyonit for the pro-version, because he sold me tix for the live show. i i told Hayes that it was him, but no pro version? i thought he got what i meant when i said

"yo hazie bone. member me? well, i wouldn't be here without PSGOI. give him what he deserves".

i think that's what i said.

• Like 4

I feel like my Popcorn Gallery Q would've been A'd if Souprman hadn't immediately stepped in said some stuff in last week's thread. Thanks a lot, buddy!

That's sarcasm, we're not really buddies, buddy!

Actually Mr Lemonirini I did the same thing to CHICKNSANDWICH and they read 2 of that big titty punks questions including the one I "stepped in" and "said some stuff" about.

So it must be you buddy.

(I'm really into calling people "punks" lately. What do you punks think of that?)

• Like 9

(I'm really into calling people "punks" lately. What do you punks think of that?)

Makes me feel lucky.

• Like 7

Mike Lawrence is from Davie, FL, which is a neighboring town to mine. There are lots of horses and cowboys as well as cowgirls. There is a bar called The Round Up, and if Mike is reading this hes probably catching feelings cause its probably his joint but im about to tell you all that its pretty lame unless you like that country music and line dancing. There is a rodeo there and lots of gun ranges. There is a very nice botanical nursery on Flamingo Rd. Im sure Mikes been there.

Davie used to be a cowboys eden in south florida, but as the population continues to grow so does the influx of youth and its culture. Now as you drive around you will see the contrast of development and construction to cowboys and cattle giddy uppin' around town. I hope this brought back all the feels Mike.

• Like 17

Sean and Hayes definitely brought the laffs with this one, but I feel like Mike Lawrence wasn't vibing with the boys. Maybe having Scharpling as an East coast ambassador would have made this go a bit smoother

• Like 8

Hey everyone, it's me thejjar from the Hollywood Handbook forums. You might remember me from my PCG question this week which was about football but Mike didn't even watch the Super Bowl® so I really feel like an idiot.

Anyway as one of the forum's New York residents I'd like to explain a bit about what Mike was getting at with the difference between New York and LA comedy. So as you could hear in this week's episode Sean and Hayes were in studio together with a guest to do some rip roaring bits. That's LA comedy. When Hayes is in a studio with Tom Scharpling or Chris Gethard and Sean calls in for some rip roaring bits well that my friends is New York comedy. You can feel free to post here or PM me if you have any further questions. Thank you for your time. Jah bless

• Like 19

I was gonna be in that parody movie poster, but my agent told me the pay just wasn't there. So chicknsandwich got my part in addition to his own, since his agent asked for WAY WAY less.

• Like 8