🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 134.5 - Minisode 134.5

I can only assume this was Jason's reaction when Emily Gilmore showed up in Solarbabies.

43016e447b1cb9c2de29f71be8f27754.gif

I was hoping Emily would have a little more screen time. I had no idea what to expect but I Just finished this movie and I was pretty into it
  • Like 4

As an official representative of Australia and it's people even though I've only seen parts of it late at night on TV, the movie "You Can't Stop the Murders" is definitely not a horror (which would admittedly be crazier). It's a comedy featuring a bunch of Aussie comics who all range from ok to poor, so I wouldn't be too confident on the overall quality.

• Like 3

SOLARBABIES! So. Freakin'. Pumped!

Oath me you'll all watch it. Oath me!

I remember watching this as a kid and loving it.

• Like 1

I tried watching Solarbabies and I gave up after I realised I hadn't been paying attention for the last ten minutes and I had no idea what was going on. It's like my eyes were pointed at the screen but my brain turned them off. I think this sort of nonsense might have been bearable when I was a kid but holy crap is it obnoxious, it's supposed to be a Mad Max Babies or something but I couldn't make it all the way through.

• Like 1

I just found this little gem:

24 Reasons Solarbabies & Maze Runner Are The Same Movie :)

• Like 2

I hate to be "that guy," but I do have a little constructive criticism for people calling into the ASK PAUL line. If you're going to call in with a question, explanation hope, or whatever, please consider writing out what you're going to say before calling in. It doesn't have to be anything too rehearsed, just some bullet points to keep your mind on track.

I am enjoying the new bit, and I like what people have been bringing to the table, but I think it could be improved by excising some of the "ummms," "ahhhhs," and "uhhhhs." Also, if you're going to call in, don't be afraid of sounding stupid. Be confident, don't try too hard to be funny, and speak clearly into the receiver.

Criticism over. Hope I wasn't too harsh.

200.gif

• Like 7

I tried watching Solarbabies and I gave up after I realised I hadn't been paying attention for the last ten minutes and I had no idea what was going on. It's like my eyes were pointed at the screen but my brain turned them off. I think this sort of nonsense might have been bearable when I was a kid but holy crap is it obnoxious, it's supposed to be a Mad Max Babies or something but I couldn't make it all the way through.

I think you might have been paying attention and not even realized it. The movie skips a head several times without any explanation of time, distance or what the hell happened. It's as if they cut three or four entire scenes.

• Like 3

I haven't seen Maze Runner but I bet it has fewer rollerskates and that makes me think it must be worse than Solarbabies.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

I hate to be "that guy," but I do have a little constructive criticism for people calling into the ASK PAUL line. If you're going to call in with a question, explanation hope, or whatever, please consider writing out what you're going to say before calling in. It doesn't have to be anything too rehearsed, just some bullet points to keep your mind on track.

I am enjoying the new bit, and I like what people have been bringing to the table, but I think it could be improved by excising some of the "ummms," "ahhhhs," and 'uhhhhs." Also, if you're going to call in, don't be afraid of sounding stupid. Be confident, don't try too hard to be funny, and speak clearly into the receiver.

Criticism over. Hope I wasn't too harsh.

Not harsh enough? I am not liking the new segment at all...however, you've hit the major bullet points here. A couple (only a couple) have been genuinely interesting (like Can't Stop the Murders), just a bit of a chore to sit through. They shouldn't feel like I would have already hung up and deleted my voicemail mid-message.

I have nothing constructive to add since 'don't call in, I don't want to hear you speak' doesn't help a call-in segment. But joking aside, 100% agreed, some fine tuning and focus would go a long way.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about the etiquette for this forum. May I discuss the film or would that be spoiling things for others?

• Like 1

I'm not sure about the etiquette for this forum. May I discuss the film or would that be spoiling things for others?

For minisode threads, people usually enclose spoilers in spoiler tags, like this:

[spoiler]Actually, Luke's father is Darth Vader.[/spoiler]

You can also open the "Special BBCode" dialog (by clicking the green icon to the left of the Font dropdown in the text editor) and select "Spoiler" from the list of codes.

In the thread for the full episode, feel free to post all the spoilers you want!

• Like 3

Hey, Mongoose6, welcome to the boards!

As for your question, I would say, personally, that I'm not really concerned about Spoilers, but I do feel like talking too much about the movie before the episode can sometimes backfire. A recent example of this was The Covenant episode. By the time the episode actually dropped, it had been talked out and we were all kind of done with it. For myself, if I'm going to comment on the upcoming movie in the mini-sode thread at all, I try to keep it to general impressions of the movie (e.g. did I like it or not) and save my specifics for the Main Episode. But that's just me, there's no hard and fast rule.

In short, feel free to talk about whatever you want, whenever you want; and if it's a Spoiler, you can wrap it in tags as Dan suggested. However, don't be too discouraged if people don't respond to your post. It may just be that the people around here aren't ready to get into the movie yet. Most of the time, mini-sode threads are just a place where we talk nonsense at each other and have a good time. Oftentimes, I prefer them to the main episode threads.

But like I said, other than "Don't be an Assface," there really aren't any rules.

Unfortunately I was born with an ass for a face so I guess I'll have to look for acceptance elsewhere.....and also save my comments about the movie itself for the full episode thread :)

I will say this. I'm a heterosexual man and I'm very comfortable with my sexuality, but I would straight give it to 1986 Jason Patric.

• Like 6

For minisode threads, people usually enclose spoilers in spoiler tags, like this:

[spoiler]Actually, Luke's father is Darth Vader.[/spoiler]

You can also open the "Special BBCode" dialog (by clicking the green icon to the left of the Font dropdown in the text editor) and select "Spoiler" from the list of codes.

In the thread for the full episode, feel free to post all the spoilers you want!

is there some way to have a Spoiler with in a Spoiler, sort of a endless build up of drama followed by text you need to highlight en-order to read.

highlight to read----> The cat from outer space isn't really from outer space. he was just some cat that was on the airforce base that someone started feeding. but the UFO was real!"

• Like 1

Oh yeah, as per usual in these threads...

No Mortal Kombat Annihilation?! Time to start the powerbombs!

OOp00fd.gif

• Like 1

Am I the only one excited about the announcement of a second "annual" Howdys? I re-listened to Gooby last night and I started Sharknado 2 just now (baby!).

I think someone who is not me--because I do not have the skills--should do a supercut of aggressive mispronunciations. Or, like, all the times Jason did not care for the Second Opinions theme.

• Like 7

Solarbabies is one of those VHS tapes I always glanced at, but passed by at the video rental store. The name probably seemed stupid to me, even as a dumb kid. Weird movie with a bizarrely languid pace, for a PG-13 post-apocalyptic rollerskating adventure. Stray observations:

- The rollerskating never becomes integral to the story, in the way that you expect it to. In fact, they're wearing skates in situations that would actually be much easier without them, like wandering around in dirt and gravel or pole vaulting over fences. It feels like there was supposed to be more skating action in the second half of this.

- I'm confused as to what the Bodhi ball is, or why the bad guys want to destroy it? "Grock" refers to it as the Sphere of Longinus, which is a fairly interesting reference to the *Spear* of Longinus, the weapon used by a Roman soldier to pierce the crucified body of Jesus, in order to make sure he was dead. The lance has since gained a sort of mythical status as a relic in opera and fiction.

Anyways, the ball is ostensibly a good guy, but by the end of the movie, it's horrifically murdered a woman (Sarah Douglas, reprising her role from Superman 2 and basically every film she was in) whose only crime was... what exactly? I didn't pay close attention, but the bad guys never seemed to do much beyond act menacing.

- Solarbabies is the second and final of director Alan Johnson's two films, the first being a lesser Mel Brooks comedy the year previous (To Be or Not To Be). The rest of his career is all choreography, including a 1989 Tony nomination. One wonders, again, why this film didn't have more dazzling skating sequences.

- I assumed this was a PG family film (the word "babies" is in the title, after all), as it stayed fairly light-hearted, until suddenly a teenage boy's arm is gruesomely melting to the bone (cool effect, really). That caught me off guard and was probably the high point of the film, for me.

• Like 2

I really don't want to spend 3 bucks even renting this, but I am so curious at the same time.

• Like 1

I really don't want to spend 3 bucks even renting this, but I am so curious at the same time.

It's fairly innocuous and forgettable; the post-apocalyptic palette of dull grays and browns has the side effect of inducing boredom and deja vu -- "Wait, didn't they just leave the dusty outlaw city?"

This movie is way less fun compared to the Italian takes on Mad Max, like Bronx Warriors or 2019: After The Fall of New York. The PG-13 rating is to blame; Solarbabies is too violent for a young audience, but nowhere near violent enough for this genre.

• Like 3

I know a place you could go. <.< >.> That's all I'm gonna say. Lemme know if you're interested.

mario-mushroom-dealer.gif

• Like 2

I just ended up finally watching Can't Stop The Music...

And...?

popcorn-yes.gif

• Like 4