🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
FakeJohnM

Super Mario Bros.

A ludicrous plot about a parallel universe where men and dinosaurs coexist, Dennis Hopper with dinosaur spike cornrow hair, the great Bob Hoskins as a plumber, amazingly cheesy soundtrack featuring Marky Mark. This movie deserves a proper analysis.

It's hilarious in its own right...plus it gets a pass for its pro-fungi message:

Luigi: I think it's trying to communicate with us...
Mario: Luigi, it's a mushroom!
Luigi: I think it's trying to communicate with us...
Mario: Luigi, it's a mushroom!

I straight up unironically love this movie. My brother and I used to watch an old ripped VHS of it EVERY DAY until my mom threw it out because she was tired of us watching it.

Caroline: I just LOLed at your comment. I've had things that my parents trashed because they got sick of them. Bad movies, roll-on body glitter, platform sneakers that I thought made me look like a Spice Girl. Can't they just let us have our vices?!

This is a notoriously bad movie, and, I think it would make for a great episode. I remember seeing it when I was a kid, and even then thinking, "what the fuck?". Really, how do you make a movie about an Italian plumber having an acid trip? Apparently it cost $48 million dollars to make, making only $20 million at the box office, and has a 13% rating on rotten tomatoes. So it definitely fits the criteria, it would be great to hear you guys skewer this hunk of shit.

• Like 3

Great call, and how hard could it be to get Bob Hosk-- errrr... Johnny Legs in studio for the episode?

Nevermind - a cursory glance at Wikipedia suggests that Mr. Hoskins is alive and well!

I'm glad you agree, and it would be cool to hear Johhny Legs' reasoning for taking part in this, not that he has a good track record as it is.

I read John Leguizamo's autobiography, and he related that making this film was hellish. For one thing, he and Bob Hoskins drank their way through the movie. For another, the husband-wife directing duo were insane prima donnas--one of them disliked an extra's costume so much that they poured hot coffee on the poor person--to the point where, according to Hoskins, their own agent threw them off the set.

Also, Dennis Hopper (maybe that's who pbnews was thinking of when he thought someone died?) said that once, his son asked him why he made the movie. When he said he did it to buy him shoes, his son responded that he didn't need them that much.

• Like 1

You just made my day sillstaw, I figured the production of this film was crazy, but holy fucking shit. It sounds like the set of this movie was a total nightmare. This has to be featured on an episode, there would be plenty to talk about.

I remember enjoying the subtle de-evolution and shroom references (Mojo Nixon!) as a very stoned grad-skool dropout...Definitely be a fun one to do!

Bob Hoskins.. he as one of The most bad-ass gangsters in The Long Good Friday.. reduced to being the British Danny DeVito.

What happened! oh right.. Rodger Rabbit happened too.

• Like 1

I'm glad to see this thread because I wondered how this movie hasn't been covered yet. I can't add anything to the discussion because Sillstaw nailed it with:

Also, Dennis Hopper (maybe that's who pbnews was thinking of when he thought someone died?) said that once, his son asked him why he made the movie. When he said he did it to buy him shoes, his son responded that he didn't need them that much.

This would be worth an episode if only to read out Bob Hoskins' hilariously bitter experiences from the set.

This is like a Crank 2 movie for me in that I really like it but understand why it's terrible. You HAVE to do it. So much to talk about!

I created a registration on this site for one reason. To ask that this Film be discussed. Looks like a fun forum, maybe I'll stick around. Thanks Earwolf!

I created a registration on this site for one reason. To ask that this Film be discussed. Looks like a fun forum, maybe I'll stick around. Thanks Earwolf!

So, I trust you're aware that it has been? Welcome!

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this