🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 8 - Running Down a Stapler

The greatest songwriter of all time (self-proclaimed) has written 18,000 songs and counting, including one brand new song for us. Watch out, Tom Petty.

That moment when you realize this is the dude that used to advertise his poop songs on Hollywood Handbook.

Regardless, this was another great episode and I was really cracking up the whole time

• Like 2

"One might say it's because they're not just fartin' out whatever comes into their head about a stapler." Perfection.

I wouldn't say this was the best episode yet, but it was easily the funniest.

Also, did I miss an announcement about this being Ton Petty Week on Earwolf?

#JoeAndIHadTheSameExperience

#ButReallyLetsKeepThisShowAnonymous

#BecauseItsBetterWhenAnonymousPeopleAreBaringTheirSouls

#AndThisPodcastIsGreat

#teamtreese

• Like 2

The longer this episode ran, the less I liked the caller. Am I alone?

He definitely said some things that I disagreed with, but this ep was fairly motivational in its own weird way.

That moment when you realize this is the dude that used to advertise his poop songs on Hollywood Handbook.

I picked up on that as soon as I heard the title Poop into a Wormhole. I'm kinda starting to have my doubts about this show now since this is the third EP where there's a chance he knows the caller. I very much enjoy the show but feel it might not be all it claims to be.

I very much enjoy the show but feel it might not be all it claims to be.

The way we produce the show is really straightforward! We post the phone number and talk to whoever calls in and gets through. Anyone who calls after that gets put on hold/or gets a busy signal. I can promise you, too, that we don't know the callers. But we definitely love getting to know them for an hour.

• Like 2

I actually came across this artist a year ago in my constant search for weird outsider music, I was so surprised when I realized it was that same guy! I listened to an album where every song was a review of an album, which was pretty entertaining.

Listening to him talk for an hour was really interesting, he's a weird guy, but I really respect him. He knows what he want to do and does it.

Really enjoying these, Chris, keep it up :)

I have a lot of thoughts about this, as a fan of outsider music (and insider music too). (I LOVE Jandek.) But the fact is, you can't compare outsider to insider and that's where his logic falls apart. It's entirely different ballgames. Want to be Tom Petty? You don't write 70 albums about poop. But if you do write 70 albums about poop, there is a game for you -- and he proves it. He shouldn't be unhappy about that. Know your lane.

• Like 1

Love the show, knew exactly who this was as soon as he came on. He's on a buttload of podcasts, and I think they did an entire episode about Matt Farley on Reply All/TL;DR not too long ago.

The longer this episode ran, the less I liked the caller. Am I alone?

1000%. His whole philosophy seems like incredible insecurity. "I'm gonna shit out a bunch of songs about staplers so nobody can say I genuinely tried to write a song and failed. Oh, and I'll completely resent anyone who does."

And he compares himself to The Beatles? This guy can go screw.

This caller is a hoot, but also a tough nut to crack. I respect and thank him for his service to the kids at the group home. I would have liked to hear more about his job or his family relationships, but the caller was quick to steer the conversation back to his music career. Gethard tried to make it more personal, but after all it's the caller's hour and they can talk about whatever they want.

The caller reminds me of that guy Kyle who rap battles Kanye. He's a funny cat who has inspired me to download the Spotify ap so I can hear some of his songs. I don't imagine that his music can complete with artists who expend more time and effort crafting individual songs, but it's a big world out there and perhaps he can find his niche.

• Like 1

The way we produce the show is really straightforward! We post the phone number and talk to whoever calls in and gets through. Anyone who calls after that gets put on hold/or gets a busy signal. I can promise you, too, that we don't know the callers. But we definitely love getting to know them for an hour.

I'm in California, so is it possible for me to ever be able to call and try to get on the show? Or is it only open for East Coasters? And where does one find the phone number to call? Thanks for you help.

I listened to quite a few of the songs, looking for something that wasn't one short musical clip, maybe 2 bars of basic music + diarrhea of the mind, there's nothing prepared when he does a song, he just plays the clip and starts talk/singing.

Either this is the limit of his skills, or he should actually put together more than 3 minutes of thought into a song...otherwise it's just a stream of very shallow topical stuff....and making more than 18k of these isn't going to make them better.

BUT, "Poop into a wormhole" is inspiring. Also his point of view, even if it's mostly delusional and self aggrandizing.

thanks for this interview CG!

I'm in California, so is it possible for me to ever be able to call and try to get on the show? Or is it only open for East Coasters? And where does one find the phone number to call? Thanks for you help.

The lines are open to anyone! I just tweet out the number from my personal twitter when the lines go live. We've only done a few calls in the past couple months because I'm in production on my TV show and my schedule is nuts. Also because of that we've been doing em pretty early in the morning, which sucks for the west coasters. That being said, moving forward I'm sure they'll be at all different times.

Thanks for listening and hope we get to talk soon!

Geth