🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bonerstoner

Under Siege

Gary Busey in drag - check, tommy lee jones as a leather bound rockstar - check, Steven seagal - check. This movie is nuckin futs.

any Seagal movie. On Deadly Ground would be the way I'd go. fuck that movie is so nuts.

Since the Seagal cherry has been popped with Glimmer Man, why not go for another with Under Siege. While it was his most critically successful and highest grossing, it is also batshit insane. From Gary Busey in drag and commenting "that these panty hose feel really good, to Tommy Lee Jones dressed as a blues rocker and Seagal talking like Cajun chef, this movie has a ton of WTF moments. It was especially weird to see Jones like this as this was just after JFK and just before he did The Fugitive, though he would follow that up with Blown Away, which could be an episode all its own. Also this movie really has a great "fuck physics" moment when two of the terrorists get locked in a meat locker by Seagal and then proceed to shoot through a steel door as if it's made out of tissue paper.

I love this movie, but would still like to hear the gang's take on it. The knife fight at the end between Jones and Seagal was the shit!

I love this movie, but would still like to hear the gang's take on it. The knife fight at the end between Jones and Seagal was the shit!

I honestly think that's where they got the technique for Gerard Butler in Olympus Has Fallen as he stabbed everyone in the head as if they were a goddam lobster.

I honestly think that's where they got the technique for Gerard Butler in Olympus Has Fallen as he stabbed everyone in the head as if they were a goddam lobster.

It's an actual martial art called kali. I've seen it pop up alot now in other action movies where they want intense knife fighting. It was in the first Jason Bourne movie where he is fighting Clive Owens in handcuffs. I haven't seen Olympus Has Fallen, but I they weren't the first make kali look foolish.

Yeah Butler kills at least 5 or 6 guys using the move, some of which are mercy killings.

They did Over the Top and Demolition Man back to back and Season of the Witch was three episodes before Drive Angry, so why not do this soon after Glimmer man?

Because there's something very samey about all of Seagle's works. Over the Top is a sports movie and Demolition Man is a sci-fi actioner. Drive Angry was another Ghost Rider movie while Season of the Witch was a historical action fantasy (both are action movies but with very different tones. With Seagle, the tones are all the same and the character is all the same (because Seagle can't act). It's really good to get distance between samey movies.

• Like 1

Because there's something very samey about all of Seagle's works. Over the Top is a sports movie and Demolition Man is a sci-fi actioner. Drive Angry was another Ghost Rider movie while Season of the Witch was a historical action fantasy (both are action movies but with very different tones. With Seagle, the tones are all the same and the character is all the same (because Seagle can't act). It's really good to get distance between samey movies.

Yeah, mostly agreed. The thing was that Glimmer Man was an attempt at a buddy cop flick, but Seagal's other films are usually him plus a sexy scientist/police officer/generic lady in distress. Less quippy and much more silly. And I totally agree that On Deadly Ground should be the one to cover -- it's got all the best Seagal elements. And don't forget, he directed that one, so you know it's gold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pKLt1-37U0

• Like 1

Under Siege is classic and has some real nonsensical one-liners. What about under siege 2? There is a good chunk of the film where the only time you see Seagal is when his face occasionally creeps comically into frame through one of the train windows. It's like he's photobombing the scenes in his own vehicle.

• Like 1

BTW, Have you guys ever read the book Jonathan Livingston Steven Seagal?

Here are some key quotes:

- “The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy and blood."

- "Every person, all the events of your life are there because you have drawn them there -- and summarily disposed of them with clunky neck chops."

- "Bad things are not the worst things that an happen to us. NOTHING is the worst thing that can happen to us...aside from pratfalling through some glass. That's also right up there."

- "Wrong turns are as important as right turns. More important, sometimes in the case of train derailment."

Edit: I had to look up if anyone had made this joke before, but I couldn't find it. What I DID find is that a large proportion of people incorrectly identify the title as "Jonathan Livingston Seagal" while bestowing their most cherished quote. Hilariously establishing they have never read the book...

• Like 1

Since the Seagal cherry has been popped...

I just want to say that phrase made me grimace.

• Like 2

I just want to say that phrase made me grimace.

You're welcome.

Under Siege is classic and has some real nonsensical one-liners. What about under siege 2? There is a good chunk of the film where the only time you see Seagal is when his face occasionally creeps comically into frame through one of the train windows. It's like he's photobombing the scenes in his own vehicle.

What's great about that movie was it was described as "Die Hard on a train" which I felt was sort of the fad at the time to describe whatever movie as "Die Hard in or on a blank."

• Like 1

What's great about that movie was it was described as "Die Hard on a train" which I felt was sort of the fad at the time to describe whatever movie as "Die Hard in or on a blank."

There's an industry term for that, I think "elevator pitch". But yeah, "Die Hard on a bus", "Die Hard in space", "Die Hard in a Die Hard movie", etc.

• Like 1

I really need to see that Die Hard in a Die Hard movie movie.

• Like 1

Steven Seagal looks like he's in shape in this one, unlike Glimmer Man. you can tell he's got a bit of a gut.

Sign in to follow this