🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 135 - Solarbabies: LIVE!

Haha, oh wow, when Jason tells us, we listen! I'll leave it to you then! :D Let me know if you need any help or whatever with it and post the link when it's all done! :D

I'm on tumblr and this forum more than I like to admit so if they ever say they need anything done with both of them then I am there lol! You are so more than welcome to join up!

• Like 3

. For example, the Tchigani guy isn't covered in fire ant bites. This seems to reinforce the idea that the torture isn't physical, but purely psychological. (And while I'm on the subject, fire ants? Really, guy? Ants are your greatest fear?)?

I think it is purely psychological and that the young blonde is just dumb. I also laughed at the ants as the guy who lives in the desert's greatest fear. Dude must see bugs ALL THE TIME. I would've expected scorpions or something.

DISCUSS: Best roller skating? Xanadu, the Gute or Solarbabies?

Best bird sidekick: Adrian Pasdar or LL Cool J?

• Like 2

I think it is purely psychological and that the young blonde is just dumb. I also laughed at the ants as the guy who lives in the desert's greatest fear. Dude must see bugs ALL THE TIME. I would've expected scorpions or something.

DISCUSS: Best roller skating? Xanadu, the Gute or Solarbabies?

Best bird sidekick: Adrian Pasdar or LL Cool J?

I'll answer your questions first.

Best Roller Skating--The Gute in Can't Stop the Music. It is a joy to watch him and makes me want to get a pair of skates, slip into some short shorts, head over to the park, and blare "Cover Girl" by NKOTB.* I found the skating in Solarbabies to be strictly utile, and besides Gene Kelly, Xanadu's skating was pretty clumsy.

Best Bird Sidekick: LL Cool J's. Hands down.

However, speaking of birds, the world of Solarbabies seems to be lousy with them. What are they drinking? I mean, I get that they're birds and probably don't need as much water as, say, a human, but doesn't there have to be some sort of water source for them nearby? Why can't Darstar use his avian hypnotism powers to train a bird to show them where some water is?

*Adding video to save you all the trouble of looking that up, because I really want to let that image of me to really sink in to your mind's eye. (I wonder what you all imagine I look like...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5d0T015ZA4

Damn! New Kids really were a powerhouse!

• Like 3

However, speaking of birds, the world of Solarbabies seems to be lousy with them. What are they drinking? I mean, I get that they're birds and probably don't need as much water as, say, a human, but doesn't there have to be some sort of water source for them nearby? Why can't Darstar use his avian hypnotism powers to train a bird to show them where some water is?

I will freely admit that finding a glowing telepathic ball should be the #1 topic of conversation. But I feel like if I was Daniel I would have thrown in a "Hey, not for nothin', but I found Bodhi in a pool of water in a big cave with water dripping from the ceiling. Might be a lot of water over there."

• Like 3

Does anyone else feel like putting headlights on rollerskates would be wildly impractical? if you just think of the mechanics of skating, there's no way you'd be able to get a steady enough beam to help you in the slightest. You'd just have light streaming Helter Skelter in all directions. In fact, the only thing they would be good for is announcing your presence and position to any E-Cops who might be out searching for you.

Then again, stealth doesn't exactly seem to be the Solarbabies forte. For example, when Jason catches up to Daniel, the first thing he says to him is, "Next time, leave a better trail..." Oh, really? Do you mean like the kind of trail that allowed you, the Solarbabies, and Darstar to be easily tracked through the desert time and time again? Daniel was on point and was never in danger of being caught until he teams up with Jason and the other Solarbaby lunkheads.

This bothered me a lot. In addition to the skatelights providing shaky, unsteady light, they appear to illuminate about 2-3 inches around the tip of the foot, which won't help at all when you want to skate at any speed. The light beam would need to reach at least 5 ft ahead of you. There's a reason why headlights are a thing. You turn your head to look at something and the light follows. With skatelights, you'd have to remember to turn your feet towards the direction you're looking at. I dunno, maybe the lights were just for decoration like light-up shoes.

• Like 1

While it's true that the movie never explicitly states that it takes place in North America, I have to agree that it certainly feels like it does. So, with that being said, does anyone have any compelling theories on why the Bounty Hunters are British? While I understand dialects and accents can shift over time, I certainly don't think that the filmmakers had that in mind when they were making this movie, nor do the Bounty Hunters seem like they are old enough that they could have come to America prior to the Great Water Apocalypse and somehow retained their accents. So that only leaves the incredibly unlikely possibility that they grew up in England, and in a world apparently bereft of any vehicles capable of flight, they somehow dune-buggied, walked, or roller skated across the wide, desolate, and arid expanse that was once the Atlantic Ocean. If that's the case, this movie didn't give them enough credit--those are some bad motherfuckers right there!

• Like 3

This is the first film where Jason Patric and Jami Gertz ever worked together. The next year after Solarbabies came out, the two would later reunite for none other than The Lost Boys! I had to imagine Joel Schumacher saw that film and was like, "Yep, these two are so good together in Solarbabies, let's cast them for my next project!"

Okay Cameron, I need that gif of animated Jason losing his mind. Cause I can't find it.

• Like 1

Okay this is a work in progress. Like the gif suddenly won't work for me but I'm trying to figure out if that's just a me issue or a general issue.

http://nerdnoteshdtgm.tumblr.com/

Fixed the gif! Kinda digging the minimalistic vibes it's giving off but I definitely want suggestions :D

ALSO SUBMISSIONS NOW!

• Like 3

We need a tales from blockbuster show, can we have that as part of the mini episodes. along with Trade Or Swap call ins but only from really drunk people.

Cameron H. I think that's also a Pentecostal thing too, I seem to remember meeting a guy once who was sporting a long little braid like Hayden Christensen's man braid. he wasn't Indian or Jewish, that part I am 100% sure of but he did have it for what was told to me for religious reasons or so he told me. He was religious and a crazy nut.

• Like 1

I say this because the only ones we saw were white guys with side ponytails. That doesn't make you Native American, it makes you a douche.

If movies have taught me anything, it's that a douchey white guy would probably be the GREATEST Native American or Samurai or whatever, really. All these minorities or foreigners really need is for a white guy to give them the kick in the ass that they need to overcome a bunch of OTHER white guys!

• Like 5

Okay this is a work in progress. Like the gif suddenly won't work for me but I'm trying to figure out if that's just a me issue or a general issue.

Fixed the gif! Kinda digging the minimalistic vibes it's giving off but I definitely want suggestions :D

ALSO SUBMISSIONS NOW!

Looks good, Taylor Anne! My only note would be--and while I certainly do appreciate the shout out--I feel like if you want to include that it should read, "Gif created by Cameron H, from an original video by Jay Marks" or something to that effect. I don't want it to sound like I "made" the animation, when all I did was clip a couple of seconds from someone else's, much more impressive, piece of art.

• Like 1

ALSO SUBMISSIONS NOW!

Following! Now I'm going to have to actually take some notes so I can submit something.

Well we know there is water, it's just behind a dam. So the birds have probably evolved to learn pole-vaulting to get over the fence... no wait they can fly. Pretend I didn't say that last shit.

Pasdar could've solved the fucking movie if he just talked to the birds more instead of stealing the ball-thingy. I bet the birds secretly hated him and made fun of his side braid.

• Like 3

Well we know there is water, it's just behind a dam. So the birds have probably evolved to learn pole-vaulting to get over the fence... no wait they can fly. Pretend I didn't say that last shit.

Pasdar could've solved the fucking movie if he just talked to the birds more instead of stealing the ball-thingy. I bet the birds secretly hated him and made fun of his side braid.

I know you're joking, but in my defense, I feel like the dam was, like, really far away from the orphanage--or not. Who the fuck knows? And also, wasn't the dam covered by cement? Because no water is healthier than water that's been hidden underground and left to stagnate... Hopefully the Protectorate has a plan to combat, what I can only imagine must be, the near constant outbreaks of Legionnaire's Disease afflicting the populace.

• Like 1

Is it just me or does John Mulaney sound like Tina Belcher? Especially towards the end when he went "uhhhhhhh." Is he secretly a smart, strong, sensual woman?

I know you're joking, but in my defense, I feel like the dam was, like, really far away from the orphanage--or not. Who the fuck knows? And also, wasn't the dam covered by cement? Because no water is healthier than water that's been hidden underground and left to stagnate... Hopefully the Protectorate has a plan to combat, what I can only imagine must be, the near constant outbreaks of Legionnaire's Disease afflicting the populace.

I guess I did just think it was a dam. But now that you mention it, the water had to be hidden somehow or else all the Bounty Hunters and Tire Town miners and Fake Native Americans would try to steal it. Maybe all the stuff--the secret government lab, the water--was underground like in X2: X-Men United?

... which begs the question is Bodhai the Phoenix Force?

• Like 2

Looks good, Taylor Anne! My only note would be--and while I certainly do appreciate the shout out--I feel like if you want to include that it should read, "Gif created by Cameron H, from an original video by Jay Marks" or something to that effect. I don't want it to sound like I "made" the animation, when all I did was clip a couple of seconds from someone else's, much more impressive, piece of art.

That's a good point and I've added Jay's credit!

• Like 1

any compelling theories on why the Bounty Hunters are British?

all the best bad guys are english ...

if its a mastermind type villain get someone to do a toff accent

if its a thug type villain get someone to do a geezer accent

and if its a cheeky chappie type get michael caine

in this case they only went and cast the great alexi sayle

15386-17735.jpg

• Like 2

producer: "ok richard ... now you know this is set in a future where theres no water and everything has turned to dirt ... so we're gona have to shoot it in a desert ... during the day "

richard jordan: "that sounds fun .. but i assume the costumes will be location sensitive .. you know ... light and cool like ... "

producer: "ummmm?? ... sure ... sure .... what about them knicks huh?"

2d1a9tg.jpg

can you imagine the sweat inside that outfit after a few minutes out there ....

• Like 3

So with the Scorpions being a very Nazi-esque team i.e. German, can we safely assume that these guys are great at skateball as well?

unnamed2.jpg

• Like 2

Correction/Question:

Paul said he held a fake autograph signing for Jami Gertz at the Blockbuster that he worked at, yet in the episode for Steel he said he held a signing for Annabeth Gish. This statement was followed by June saying almost word for word the same statement about his Blockbuster stories and it being run by no one. So my question is, did Paul just forget who he had a fake signing for using a coworker as a stand-in or did all of his coworkers look vaguely enough like B+ level actors that he could host multiple fake autograph signings at his Blockbuster?

• Like 6

So with the Scorpions being a very Nazi-esque team i.e. German, can we safely assume that these guys are great at skateball as well?

unnamed2.jpg

What about this guy?! He'd be fucking awesome!

Scorpion-Render-Mortal-Kombat-10-X-.png

• Like 2