🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 135 - Solarbabies: LIVE!

I remember as a kid being furious they never went back and used Bohdi to revive Darstar's owl.

OK, so I have two Jacob's Ladder scenarios for Solarbabies:

1) At the beginning when Daniel is knocked over and his "electric ears" fall off he is dying and imagines the rest as a "Here's what I would have done if I could have", or

2) Bodhi needs to possess someone in order to do his thing and takes over Daniel. The rest of the movie is Bodhi orchestrating things to free the people and water.

Thoughts? Either way it just seemed too "We've been docile for 41 years and now this mysterious thing shows up and we feel confident enough to rebel, break out and fight."

• Like 1

But, then again, I don't understand why people love this series so much. So I don't expect SyFy to figure it out either.

Touché. I can't believe I was convinced by this show to watch all three of them.

• Like 1

The name Chicani, for me, channeled Chicano, a somewhat ambiguous Mexican-American cultural identity. For many the term is used as a point of pride, but in the past it has held negative connotations. One example of derogatory use would be wealthier Mexican-Americans using Chicano as a pejorative to describe those of a lower social standing.

For what it is worth according to the movie subtitles it was Tchigani.

• Like 1

When arriving at the Chicani camp, I turned to my wife and said, "Look, they've made it to Santa Fe" (regarding all of the douchey white people posing as Native American).

I like this.

Now I feel like we missed the boat with some kind of Burning Man joke when the Nazis torched the place.

• Like 1

For what it is worth according to the movie subtitles it was Tchigani.

That's interesting! Looking online, I had only seen 'Chicani' but 'Tchigani' seems right. If I can't trust AFI Catalogue of Films, who can I trust? http://www.afi.com/m...?s=&Movie=57475

This is from Roger Ebert's 2 star reveiw:

"One of the camps is inhabited by the Tchigani, descendants of Chicanos, and that leads to one of the movie's several inadvertently hilarious moments. One of the heroes is a Latin who travels with a tame owl. The leader of the settlement questions him: Leader: "What is your name?" Boy: "I call myself 'Death Star.' " Leader: "Does that owl belong to you?" Boy: "As much as an owl can belong to any man." Leader: "You are Tchigani!" The next shot shows the settlement's symbolic sculpture, rather unfortunately surmounted by a hubcap."

I don't know what I love more...that he calls him Death Star or that he calls him "A Latin". As a kid, I could have sworn it was Dark Star.

• Like 2

That's interesting! Looking online, I had only seen 'Chicani' but 'Tchigani' seems right. If I can't trust AFI Catalogue of Films, who can I trust? http://www.afi.com/m...?s=&Movie=57475

This is from Roger Ebert's 2 star reveiw:

"One of the camps is inhabited by the Tchigani, descendants of Chicanos, and that leads to one of the movie's several inadvertently hilarious moments. One of the heroes is a Latin who travels with a tame owl. The leader of the settlement questions him: Leader: "What is your name?" Boy: "I call myself 'Death Star.' " Leader: "Does that owl belong to you?" Boy: "As much as an owl can belong to any man." Leader: "You are Tchigani!" The next shot shows the settlement's symbolic sculpture, rather unfortunately surmounted by a hubcap."

I don't know what I love more...that he calls him Death Star or that he calls him "A Latin". As a kid, I could have sworn it was Dark Star.

Maybe Roger had to hit the bottle sometimes to review some of these films. I can say with experience most HDTGM movies go better with a drink.

• Like 1

Jason is on Gilmore Guys again today, sorting all the characters into Hogwarts and Game of Thrones houses. I found it enjoyable, just FYI. Since I already sorted the Tchigani into Dothraki.

Also, this is unrelated to Solarbabies but relevant to Jason's obsession with sorting: I told a woman the other day that I used to be part of a LiveJournal community that would sort you into ASOIAF houses (this was before the show) like the sorting hat then we'd try to win house points. And that I was in House Stark and she looked at me in all seriousness and said, "I'm so sorry for all that has happened to your people."

• Like 4

May the Fourth be with us all!

giphy.gif

Damn right, hosting a showing of The Force Awakens at my job for all the young padawans.

Of course Sharknado releases their Star Wars-esque poster today...

sharknado-4-poster.jpg?w=620&h=917

Also the list of cameos was released and... Really? Stacey Dash as the mayor of Chicago? She's basically a joke now but I don't think she gets why she's a joke and I have a feeling this will be just as awkward as The Oscars.

For Stacey Dash, she has become a punchline to people because she is an outspoken Republican and has gotten a lot of flack from people for going against the majority opinion when it comes to things like the Oscar boycott and the BET awards.

Also, did SyFy just spoil their own fucking movie by showing Tara Reid as still alive after the end of the third movie?

• Like 1

For Stacey Dash, she has become a punchline to people because she is an outspoken Republican and has gotten a lot of flack from people for going against the majority opinion when it comes to things like the Oscar boycott and the BET awards.

Yes, I understand why she is a punchline, but she doesn't understand why she is a punchline which is part of the reason why the Oscars appearance was so cringe-worthy. So my feeling is that this is also going to be cringe-worthy based on the things she has said and the role they have put her in.

• Like 1

Also, did SyFy just spoil their own fucking movie by showing Tara Reid as still alive after the end of the third movie?

I thought they already announced she was alive because of the vote on Twitter.

Me on the phone with my mom: "Did you ever see Solarbabies? Or even hear of it when it came out in 86? It's a Mel Brooks production!"

Mom: "I've never heard of it, and even in 1986 I wouldn't have seen something titled Solarbabies. That is the stupidest name ever."

• Like 5

I have another proposed Howdies category: Most Useless Opening Voiceover/Narration.

Obvious candidates are Zardoz and Solarbabies. Both have long opening narrations or voiceovers intended to clarify things. Instead they muddy the waters further (no Solarbabies pun intended).

• Like 3

I have another proposed Howdies category: Most Useless Opening Voiceover/Narration.

Obvious candidates are Zardoz and Solarbabies. Both have long opening narrations or voiceovers intended to clarify things. Instead they muddy the waters further (no Solarbabies pun intended).

Yessss...this is a really good one. Does it only include voiceover/narration, or can it include shitty explanatory title cards? I know there have been quite a few that we've seen this last "year," but the biggest one that comes to mind is The Covenant.

The whole introductory exposition (introsition, maybe?) is so lazy and obnoxious, and so many films do it. A lot of video games have started doing it over the past 5-10 years, too, and I have the same feeling about both. Like, when I'm playing a video game, I don't want to have 15 minutes of exposition to start playing the game. I want to get into the game and let the plot unfold through good storytelling and gameplay.

And that goes even moreso for movies. You don't have gameplay to keep me interested, so your first 10 minutes should be what draws the user in. If you use that time to throw a bunch of boring language that essentially equates to white noise at me, why the fuck should I keep watching? I'd rather a filmmaker throw me into the middle of a scene that doesn't totally make sense to me at the moment rather than spending the first few minutes essentially just telling the audience that they were too lazy to use their story to explain what the hell they were doing.

Basically, it breaks the first rule of any kind of fiction writing: show; don't tell.

Anyway, that's my "introsition" rant and a really long way of saying that I think it's definitely a sign of a bad movie which would make a wonderful Howdies category.

• Like 6

Sorry, I've been fighting with either a wicked sinus infection or a particularly virulent strain of Bubonic for the past few days, so I haven't had the strength to respond to a lot of your comments.

It's not Wednesday, but it kinda is for me...

I'm leaving for almost 2 full weeks on Friday to go on vacation overseas and I'm incredibly stressed out because I'm not prepared. I wish Civil War was out now instead of Thursday so I could talk about it constantly and be distracted lol.

That's exciting! Do you mind if I ask where you're headed? I would love to get out and do some traveling.

I don't know who these people are. Still SharkNAYdo4.

I really hope they give it a pass this year. I mean, I'd love for Scott to do another episode, but dear God, no more Sharknado movies. I still haven't bothered to watch the third one. The joke is just so tired at this point.

And that goes even moreso for movies. You don't have gameplay to keep me interested, so your first 10 minutes should be what draws the user in. If you use that time to throw a bunch of boring language that essentially equates to white noise at me, why the fuck should I keep watching? I'd rather a filmmaker throw me into the middle of a scene that doesn't totally make sense to me at the moment rather than spending the first few minutes essentially just telling the audience that they were too lazy to use their story to explain what the hell they were doing.

Basically, it breaks the first rule of any kind of fiction writing: show; don't tell.

I 100% agree. I may have brought this up before, but if a movie or TV show can't get me within the first scene, I'm done. I have better things to do than wait around for your thing to "get good."

It kind of reminds me of something my old creative writing professor taught me: it's not about the first chapter, or the first page, the first paragraph, or even the first sentence. Sometimes it honestly comes down to the first word. If I started a short story or something with the word "the" he'd give me all kinds of crap about it. At the time, I'd get really frustrated and I'd gripe bitterly to myself about how he didn't get it, but now I totally understand. From the first word, your story needs to be engaging. It's the difference between "Call me Ishmael" and "My name is Ishmael." You can have the most interesting story to tell in the world, but if you tell it in a way that is passive or not engaging, no one is going to give a shit.

• Like 4

Sorry, I've been fighting with either a wicked sinus infection or a particularly virulent strain of Bubonic for the past few days, so I haven't had the strength to respond to a lot of your comments.

Sorry to hear that Cameron. Maybe if you have Ebola we could do a remake of Outbreak.

It kind of reminds me of something my old creative writing professor taught me: it's not about the first chapter, or the first page, the first paragraph, or even the first sentence. Sometimes it honestly comes down to the first word. If I started a short story or something with the word "the" he'd give me all kinds of crap about it. At the time, I'd get really frustrated and I'd gripe bitterly to myself about how he didn't get it, but now I totally understand. From the first word, your story needs to be engaging. It's the difference between "Call me Ishmael" and "My name is Ishmael." You can have the most interesting story to tell in the world, but if you tell it in a way that is passive or not engaging, no one is going to give a shit.

I've been re-watching His Girl Friday and Cary Grant agrees with you. He's reading the story Rosalind Russell wrote and asks where key details are. She says "Right there in the second paragraph." He responds "Who's going to read the second paragraph?"

• Like 4

That's exciting! Do you mind if I ask where you're headed? I would love to get out and do some traveling

Hope you're feeling better! I'm actually popping around Iceland, Scotland, and then to Ireland!

EDIT:

Eh I feel silly even ranting about that cause it's really not a big deal. So if you got to read my rant, congrats.

• Like 3

I've been re-watching His Girl Friday and Cary Grant agrees with you. He's reading the story Rosalind Russell wrote and asks where key details are. She says "Right there in the second paragraph." He responds "Who's going to read the second paragraph?"

If Cary Grant says it, it must be true!

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that Cameron. Maybe if you have Ebola we could do a remake of Outbreak.

I, too, have a sinus infection. Movie pitch: disease that passes over message boards out. Everyone dies but Jason Mantzoukas because he's not on twitter.

• Like 5

I, too, have a sinus infection. Movie pitch: disease that passes over message boards out. Everyone dies but Jason Mantzoukas because he's not on twitter.

Too bad A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum is already taken.

• Like 5

You know he'd still get it based on how many times in one winter he got sick last year.

• Like 3

Maybe if you have Ebola we could do a remake of Outbreak.

We can only hope.

Hope you're feeling better! I'm actually popping around Iceland, Scotland, and then to Ireland!

Still not feeling great, but perfecting the art of looking like I'm working while sneaking in subtle cat naps. I've never had a sinus infection before...I had no idea it felt like someone took a 2x4 to the side of your face...

tommy-boy-2x4-o.gif

But your trip sounds awesome! You've named three places on my bucket list. Keep an eye out for elves in Iceland. There's an episode of Destination Truth where they look for elves and it is some the funniest shit I've ever seen. If you are unfamiliar with Destination Truth, I highly recommend it--especially Seasons 2-5 since that's where they really hit their groove. It's basically Ghost Hunters, night vision type nonsense where the seek out crypto/mythological creatures. The episode where they go to Iceland I put on anytime I need a dumb laugh. There's a moment where one of the cameramen thinks he sees a light in this open field and they're like, "Do you think it was an elf?" and he replies, "I can't say it wasn't elves..." I know me writing that out doesn't do it justice, but it's great. My wife and I, when we were childless, used to pick up Four Loco (because we hate brain cells and things that don't taste like fruity motor oil) and play a drinking game with Destination Truth. You were to take a drink any time Josh Gates, the Host, quoted a movie, made a douchey comment, or made fun of the local people. And, if they ever came up with something we found compelling to prove the existence of one of these animals--basically, maybe there's something there--you had to shotgun whatever was left in the can. Fortunately, we only came close to having to do that once.

I have only had two other drinking games that were ever as fun. The first was watching Twister. The rules were: anytime someone says "twister," "tornado," or other weather related terminology, and also whenever Bill Paxton flashed a shit eating grin. We had to amend the rules twenty minutes in because we were getting so trashed. So we had to remove the thing that occurred the most: Bill Paxton's stupid grin.

The second game I remember fondly playing was back in college when me and a buddy would drink anytime a Jamaican spoke in a movie--we were watching Cool Runnings.

I am redacting this because it was in response to another post that was also redacted.

• Like 2

How are you doing, Elektra Boogaloo?

As established on the Can't Stop the Music thread, I assume since you're the digital June to my digital Paul, we must have given it to each other via our electric (digital) sexual chemistry.

• Like 5

I am redacting this because it was in response to another post that was also redacted.[/font]

I don't know why we're using spoiler tags, and at this point, I'm too afraid to ask.

• Like 3