๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
Sign in to follow this  
RyanSz

Swiss Army Man (2016)

Saw a trailer for this before Green Room (by the way see that, it is AMAZING), where Paul Dano is stranded on a deserted island and comes across the corpse of Daniel Radcliffe. He then proceeds to use the body for various survival scenarios like drinking water that the corpse spits up, using bodily gasses to launch a self made grappling hook, and apparently from what I've read, using the corpse's rigormortis boner as a sundial/compass. I would love to hear Jason freak out from the germ/ick factor alone.

ย 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDxxYeFgDLg

On the issue of the sundong, as I feel compelled to call it. I grant you that my knowledge of sun dials and other men's hard ons - whether rigor mortised or not - is extremely limited, but wouldnt you get exactly the same result just by sticking a stick in the ground?

On the issue of the sundong, as I feel compelled to call it. I grant you that my knowledge of sun dials and other men's hard ons - whether rigor mortised or not - is extremely limited, but wouldnt you get exactly the same result just by sticking a stick in the ground?

I've never been stuck on a desert island, but would a sundial really be that important? "Man, it sucks that I'm stranded here by myself and half-starving to death, but at least I kind of know time it might be...".

• Like 1

I've never been stuck on a desert island, but would a sundial really be that important? "Man, it sucks that I'm stranded here by myself and half-starving to death, but at least I kind of know time it might be...".

I think it's like Cast Away where Tom Hanks was using the sun to figure out when in the year it was in order to prepare for the stormy season, as there are those type of sundials. Yet with using a dong, the size and tilt can play a factor if it's not completely upright so the date might be May 6 or December 15 depending on how you look at it.

Okay I have to bump this because holy fuck. I will say that I was surprised in that it didn't end in the Jacob's Ladder-esque way that I thought it would, but it still left me and the rest of the audience just sitting speechless. I'm not kidding in that when it was over no one got up from their seats for a good minute as we tried to comprehend what we just witnessed. An entire focal point of this movie is farting and that Radcliffe's buzzing erection moves around like a navigation arrow in a video game pointing the player to the next objective. I get that there was going to be magical realism in this movie, but trying to get a bearing on what is real and how far it goes into what is made up in Paul Dano's head is hard to get because other people start seeing what he sees which sort of messes with the original premise of him hallucinating.

Okay I have to bump this because holy fuck. I will say that I was surprised in that it didn't end in the Jacob's Ladder-esque way that I thought it would, but it still left me and the rest of the audience just sitting speechless. I'm not kidding in that when it was over no one got up from their seats for a good minute as we tried to comprehend what we just witnessed.

ย 

That happened to me as well, saw this in the theater and the group I was with and the majority of the audience just sat quietly as the credits rolled to take it all in. The ending didn't go where I thought it was going to go...and I'm still not sure where it ended up really.. But i enjoyed this movie a lot. I wouldn't say it's a bad movie but more along the lines of being like the Crank movies. Maybe that's just me..? I'd love to hear their reactions/thoughts on this one.

ย 

***Its on amazon prime streaming right now btw

This is a very fun movie if you dont at all think about it. Any level of scrutiny and it all starts falling apart though.

The final act went on much too long, about 15 to 20 minutes needed to be excised. It just drained all the fun energy it had built and didn't recover with that "triumphant " ending. I was kind of turned off also because the reveal also makes Paul Dano's character very unsympathetic, which makes the previous hour feel like a bit of a waste.

ย 

I still really enjoyed it, it was creative and original as hell. I love Mary Elizabeth Winstead too, she's just amazing.

This movie was BONKERS, to quote Jason. It was like a massive trust exercise for Paul Dano and Daniel Radcliffe.

I saw it, thought it was crazy and liked it more than I thought I would... After all, Swiss Army Man is from Daniels the 2 guys that brought us the

ย 

This is a very fun movie if you dont at all think about it. Any level of scrutiny and it all starts falling apart though.

ย 

You where saying... (WARNING!!! The video spoils the entire movie)

ย 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHrFVmYRngQ

ย 

Now that I saw this theory I want to re-watch it with that in mind

• Like 1

Before even watching the video I was all set to argue against it. But after watching its a really fascinating and very plausible breakdown of this movie.

ย 

When Dano dresses up as Mary Elizabeth Winstead it really does seem to confirm his theory. It makes no sense why he would dress up as his own love interest. It would have been a significantly easier choice in terms of the writing had he dressed Manny up in the wig and dress. Lord knows those jokes would have written themselves.

ย 

That being said this lovely tale of someone learning who they want to be ends with a corpse farting himself off a beach and into the open ocean like a torpedo. It's hard to know how to feel about that.

• Like 3

It's an alright movie, not great but not bad by any standard, very weak ending.

ย 

Not episode worthy at all.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this