🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Newlin

Make the first Paul Thomas Anderson movie hard and do Punch-Drunk Love

The Canon hasn't yet dealt with anything from Paul Thomas Anderson, one of the most important auteurs of the late 20th and 21st Centuries.

I think there are a couple films like Magnolia and There Will Be Blood that are practically a shoe-in for The Cannon, and while they'll be interesting episodes, I like the hard ones. I think Punch-Drunk love is an great film where PTA managed to get a truly incredible performance out of a mediocre actor like Adam Sandler.

It's also is the only PTA movie that really focuses deeply on the romantic side of the bizarre, just-on-the-wrong-side-of-crazy characters that he puts in all his films. It's also the most weirdly sweet in a fucked-up way, which is something you only really see in a few short moments in Magnolia.

I just think there's a lot to talk about.

What do ya'll think?

Honestly, i think nearly everything he's done should be up for The Canon (my softest consideration would be Hard Eight/Sydney). This would be a good one to start with, because I think they enjoy doing these types a bit more than the shoe-ins. PTA is my favorite, so I'll take any episode

• Like 1

PTA is one of my all-time favorite directors, so we will eventually get to ALL of his films.

• Like 6

Magnolia should be put in the Canon so we can all remember that time PTA made a bad movie.

All respect to Groovy-guy above, dude, for me, Magnolia is tied for the best film made in my lifetime, tied with Schindler's List for me.

Devin, good to hear. I feel the same way about PTA. All his films are fantastic.

As for Newlin, and this suggestion, I agree. Let's get Punch-Drunk Love in. I adore that movie. Clearly the best film Adam Sandler has ever been in.

• Like 2

As for Newlin, and this suggestion, I agree. Let's get Punch-Drunk Love in. I adore that movie. Clearly the best film Adam Sandler has ever been in.

That is one of the more creative casting wins I've ever seen. It's so counter-intuitive, and then so perfect.

• Like 2

Magnolia should be put in the Canon so we can all remember that time PTA made Number 1 Cheeba Hawk's favorite movie of all time

Sign in to follow this