🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Theodore Rex (1995) - A buddy cop flick with Whoopi in a skin tight, fake leather suit.

It is inevitable that there will be a resurgence in talking dinosaur movies/tv shows/podcasts/documentaries. Address the genre (?) before it reaches a boiling point!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114658/

This might have already been a forum post, but if so, it is worth talking about again.

"In an alternate futuristic society, a tough female police detective is paired with a talking dinosaur to find the killer of dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals leading them to a mad scientist bent on creating a new Armageddon."

Rotten Tomatoes gives this movie: 21%

Did we mention that WHOOPI is in this prehistoric flop?

Watch the trailer here:

• Like 2

Holy shit... this is a deep cut. I actually went to a birthday party in '95 when I was 8 and this was the movie we saw. I do remember that the kid's who party it was peed his pants in school later that year and he never lived it down. I second this movie!

• Like 1

How do the laws of physics permit this film to ever have existed?!?

220px-Theodore-rex-DVD.jpg

Granted, I have not seen this movie yet myself, but I WILL if you guys do too.

Whoopi Goldberg phones in a performance as a tough cop who is seriously annoyed by the fact that she gets partnered up with a dinosaur (apparently Roy from the Muppet TV show Dinosaurs), and has to stop a billionaire from creating a new ice age. WHAT.

Just reading the wikipedia page of this is hilarious. Whoopi verbally agreed to appear in this movie, and then tried to back out. It was supposed to be released theatrically, but ended up as THE most expensive direct-to-video film ever made (back in 1995)

I hope and pray that this masterpiece is watched and reviewed.

To quote Foywonder:

How bad is THEODORE REX? Joe Bob Briggs once had to host the film on TNT's "Monstervision". His introduction of it consisted of him staring blankly into the camera and saying, "My momma always said if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all." After a long, expressionless pause, he told them to just roll the movie.
  • Like 4

I tried adding this movie to the For Your Inconsideration site. But it can't find it. Anyone else try to add it? I think they'd have a feild day with this one.

That's hilarious that people used to cast Whoopi Goldberg in things.

Did you know there's also a dinosaur in this?

• Like 1

There's another thread for this already, but yeah, there WAS a time when Whoopi was a bankable star, but then she started popping up in weird stuff like this, which cost a lot of money and then essentially went straight to video. At the time, it wasn't so much "Why would they hire Whoopi for this?" as much as "Why would Whoopi WANT to do this?".

• Like 1

there WAS a time when Whoopi was a bankable star, but then she started popping up in weird stuff like this, which cost a lot of money and then essentially went straight to video. At the time, it wasn't so much "Why would they hire Whoopi for this?" as much as "Why would Whoopi WANT to do this?".

In this case, the story goes that she agreed to it in a verbal contract, then when she realized how the movie was going to turn out, she tried to back out. However, the example of Kim Basinger (who had agreed to be in "Boxing Helena," backed out, got sued and had to declare bankruptcy to get out of paying over $8 million to the producers) told her it'd probably be better to take the paycheck and appear in some crap than back out and potentially lose millions.

• Like 3

It sort of looks like the dinosaur in that short-lived TV show about talking dinosaurs. The one where the baby dinosaur would do evil shit and then look at the camera, and then say, "I'm the baby, you gotta love me."

300px-BabySinclair.JPG

300px-Earl_Sinclair_Head.jpg

• Like 2

I blame the success of Jurassic Park for this movie. In the early to mid 90s, dinosaurs were soooo cool! So cool, in fact, that now we have a professional basketball team called "The Raptors" and no one raised an eyebrow about why a team from Tornoto, Canada would be named that. Why not make a buddy cop movie with a dinosaur; they were trying to cash in on dino-mania.

It sort of looks like the dinosaur in that short-lived TV show about talking dinosaurs. The one where the baby dinosaur would do evil shit and then look at the camera, and then say, "I'm the baby, you gotta love me."

Created by Jim Henson, puppets by his Creature Workshop. That show ran for four seasons and was actually kinda popular, especially that dumb baby and his catch phrase. It was eventually cancelled, but they had a proper ending episode which is pretty dark -- the ice age begins, and all the dinosaurs stand outside and await their impending extinction (seriously).

Created by Jim Henson, puppets by his Creature Workshop. That show ran for four seasons and was actually kinda popular, especially that dumb baby and his catch phrase. It was eventually cancelled, but they had a proper ending episode which is pretty dark -- the ice age begins, and all the dinosaurs stand outside and await their impending extinction (seriously).

Damn, that is dark. I remember that show only because of that dumb baby. That show was so fucking weird though. Do you remember the sexual harrasment episode? It revolved around the main character's wife getting a job at a store or something and this creepy dinosaur, Harris, was hitting on her? And then it went to court and the new segments were titled, "What Harris Meant?"

Sign in to follow this