🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
addiepray

Lady in the Water (2006)

A real HDTGM movie should be something with real aspiration. It doesn't get more ambitious than this. New and incomprehensible mythology presented in the clumsiest way possible, massive amounts of ego (Night as the writer who will change the world), and Scrunts. So bad they wrote a book about what a colossal egotrip mindfuck this movie is. But it needs the HDTGM takedown. So much to talk about...

well I would second this suggestion. 'The Happening' was also a complete WTF. 'Lady' seemed like it could be a good movie (well Paul Giamatti made me believe in it) but boy did it suck. Actually - this would be a great chance for 'Paul Giamatti' to be a guest on HDTGM and discuss Lady!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear I saw an interview with Paul Giamatti where he talked some serious trash about this movie, but I can't remember what it was for and have never been able to find it since.

if it was a podcast, you could try downcast podcast software and search for Paul Giamatti it will in return show you all of the podcasts he has been on. it is if it was a podcast.

I really like that this software program or app as it's called, it's for mobile phones and ipads.

if it was a podcast, you could try downcast podcast software and search for Paul Giamatti it will in return show you all of the podcasts he has been on. it is if it was a podcast.

I really like that this software program or app as it's called, it's for mobile phones and ipads.

I'll have to look into that, but I thought this was an interview on a chat show. I may have just dreamed the whole thing as some kind of wish-fulfillment.

btw I didn't think this was a bad movie. Even if M. Night Shyamalan movies seem to have the same type of endings. where everything is explained in the last 5 mins of the film.

I think it's very self-indulgent. He cast himself as the savior of mankind, more-or-less. And the story is just kind of...blah.

I think it's very self-indulgent. He cast himself as the savior of mankind, more-or-less. And the story is just kind of...blah.

Not to mention the whole "evil critic who gets killed off" bit. What's so terrible about that plot is that it ends with someone asking who would do such a terrible thing as... um... assigning people roles? I don't remember much about this movie. But anyway, the movie tries to place all the blame on this mistake on the critic... but, IIRC, it was the main character who really did the deed, and he goes completely unpunished.

Honestly, I think this movie may have marked the one time audiences have sided with the critics on a controversy about them. Usually it's "oh, they just get paid to be contrary!" But this was just too much.

Yeah, it was not a subtle film. It also kind of felt like a 'bottle episode' of a sci-fi/fantasy show - one of those episodes where there isn't much of a budget so they have to contain the action to one set. I don't think they ever leave the apt complex, except to go to the pool. It all felt rushed and poorly thought out.

The movie is pure dogshit and a perfect suggestion for a podcast. They could do 30 minutes alone on M Night casting himself as the writer who will forever change the world.

I haven't seen this so maybe it deserves to be viewed first, but I think the next M. Night film has to be The Happening, if for no other reason than the ridiculous ad campaign "M. Night's first R rated movie". I never understood what the point of that was and after watching the movie it makes even less sense, there was no reason for that to be rated R.

Didn't someone's face get mangled by a lawnmower or something? I think that was the only reason it was R.

Yeah and when they blow the kids head off with the shotgun they have a quick really graphic shot of his head blown apart, it just seemed like they made those two scenes extra gory for the sole purpose of getting an R rating.

Just this is enough I think: "The plot of the movie is based on a bedtime story M. Night Shyamalan wrote for his kids."

Glad I found this one on the list. So Paul said recently that it's the only movie he's ever walked out of (well, drove out of). Wonder if it's too traumatic to revisit? It's my favorite bad movie.

12UWMsiE9gTuCI.gif

One good thing about this is, Quiptracks has a good free rifftrax of this movie. So if you are ever going to watch it, you don't have to do it alone.

I'm super surprised this hasn't been on of their hundreds of movies of discussions. I know M Night Shymalan (spelling is terrible sorry), but Lady in the Water was such a stuck up, overly artsy, and nonsensical movie. Many love it, but iMDB and Rotten Tomatoes say otherwise. Talk about it my dudes, and lady!

I remember there was a scene in this where Paul Giamatti could only find out more about the mythology of the Blue World if he acted like a baby because the old lady would only tell it as a bedtime story for children. So he curls up on the couch like a toddler and it is SO unsettling.

Sign in to follow this