🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Head Spin

Children of Men

I'm not sure I have any strong argument about there being a lack of something that Children of Men fills, although I'd love to see some more sci-fi flicks. Children of Men is just one of those breathtaking cinematic achievements. Alfonso Cuaron made a world that felt alive (albeit dying) while exercising the sci-fi tradition of interrogating our own culture and society through speculative fiction.

The movie's more then cool long takes; it's just an insanely quality film from top to bottom. Plus there are elements, especially the stuff with refugees, where the film feels even more relevant ten years later.

• Like 2

Children of MENNNN

YES

I'd like to see most Cuaron films in the canon- (Even the third Harry Potter)

• Like 1

Haha, I share that enthusiasm! I think it's a well-regarded and relatively popular choice, so it's not like it's some hidden gem that needs tons of exposure. But it's one of my very favorite movies, I still think it's a not-too-obvious candidate, and it's just goddamn great. Love to get some discussion on it.

• Like 1

I'd love to have an excuse to watch it I love the book.

Cuaron has a few possible entries. I would argue Y Tu Mama Tambien, Children of Men, or Prisoner of Azkaban are his strongest bets--not necessarily his best, but his best shots.

• Like 2

Cuaron has a few possible entries. I would argue Y Tu Mama Tambien, Children of Men, or Prisoner of Azkaban are his strongest bets--not necessarily his best, but his best shots.

I agree, and you're right that Gravity isn't as strong a bet as those. I think Gravity and Azkaban would make for some close voting, particularly with the latter being arguably the best of the Harry Potter films; whether that warrants consideration or dismissal would be fun.

Y Tu Mama Tambien I would consider a lock, but there's so much to discuss, who cares? Plus I don't think there's been a Mexican film up for consideration yet.

But holy shit, I drool like a basset hound thinking about Children of Men. Make mine, hosts!

• Like 1

Bumping this for Brexit timeliness.

Wow, good call there. I like when episodes are timed to commemorate or highlight a specific current event as it lends a unique perspective (such as the "what happened to Bryan Singer?" discussion during the Usual Suspects episode), and boy is "Children of Men" particularly timely right now.

Sign in to follow this