🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Truly a piece of 90's schlock that I distinctly remember getting excited for as a kid because I only knew him as Genie in Alladin. Such a terrible movie, it deserves your scrutiny Paul and Co.

Truly a piece of 90's schlock that I distinctly remember getting excited for as a kid because I only knew him as Genie in Alladin. Such a terrible movie, it deserves your scrutiny Paul and Co.

I disagree, that was a pretty good movie for the time. Kind of strange, but overall pretty good.

Yeah, it moves between "dark" and "comedy" so much even the movie has no idea what it is anymore. It goes from a simple military guy taking over dad's company to world domination or some shit using children.

(out of breath)...directed by Barry Levenson. It stars Robin Williams and the director went on to bum further audiences out with the film Sleepers.

(out of breath)...directed by Barry Levenson. It stars Robin Williams and the director went on to bum further audiences out with the film Sleepers.

I actually like this film, but it does deserve discussion because it is absolutely insane. There's a toy war, Joan Cusack is a robot, there's some kind of sentient water demon toy, Michael Gambon plays a crazy military commander. LL Cool J is Robin William's cousin, etc. Plus the movie wildly switches tone from one minute to the next, it will be a family-friendly fantasy and then suddenly get really adult. I think at one point Robin Williams has sex with Robin Wright. It's nutso.

And let's not forget the dead father's creepy bubble machine tombstone with the laughing toy that you can hear from 6 feet under. I also liked how insane the movie was with puzzle walls where rooms can shrink and that it was looked upon as an art film that families could watch by critics. Also, I remember the Sea Swine scaring the crap out of me as it looked to be a giant loch ness monster.

How about the popup book house or that rooms have boxes in them that are the real rooms?

I saw parts of this movie on tv years ago. I remember it being insane. Am I mistaken, or do I also remember LL Cool J in army camos fighting toys?

He was a master of disguise as well.

I think he also falls in love with Joan Cusack, who he has always believed was his cousin, though we later find out she's a robot so I guess that's okay.

This was a movie that really creeped me out when I saw it. The only movie that ever creeped me out more was seeing Fire In The Sky at a drive in when I was around 10. I still don't understand how my parents thought it was appropriate to see that at 10 years old.

I did enjoy Toys even though it freaked me out, but it would definitely be perfect for HDTGM.

Fire in the Sky is another one that's a bit weird tonally because about 1/4 of it is a family drama, then 1/2 of it is a kinda boring police procedural and then suddenly you get to those 20 minutes with him on the spaceship and it is absolutely terrifying.

I thought Cusack played his sister, atleast until the robot revelation.

She plays Robin Williams' sister, but LL is their cousin (son of Michael Gambon).

Sorry I misread that. Yeah the spaceship scene is what freaked me out but the best thing is they claim it's based on a true story, which it sort of is. When my dad told me that it made it very difficult to fall asleep for a few nights.

I just rewatched this last night and LL was friendly with Cusack since she was his cousin, but he was in a relationship with Debbie Mazar who was his grandfather's nurse, but he got upset with her when he found out she was also banging Michael Gambon.

I just rewatched this last night and LL was friendly with Cusack since she was his cousin, but he was in a relationship with Debbie Mazar who was his grandfather's nurse, but he got upset with her when he found out she was also banging Michael Gambon.

Yoinks. Well there you go.

I legit love this movie. It's ridiculous, but it knows it's ridiculous. The Yolanda And Steve video? *Jason impression* Amazing.

It has some superbly mockable moments in it, though. Like Michael Gambon doing his role in his English accent because his American accent wasn't up to the role, forcing them to add dialogue explaining he was brought up in the UK.

I legit love this movie. It's ridiculous, but it knows it's ridiculous. The Yolanda And Steve video? *Jason impression* Amazing.

It has some superbly mockable moments in it, though. Like Michael Gambon doing his role in his English accent because his American accent wasn't up to the role, forcing them to add dialogue explaining he was brought up in the UK.

They also made fun of it in the movie as his dad asked him why his accent classes didn't take forcing Gambon to talk in his shitty American accent for a minute to prove how bad it was.

Also for some reason the whole art design of the movie was so 90s with pastel colors and weird robot heads that spat out toy parts. I remember this and a pinball game called funhouse that had a similar design that creeped me out as a kid.

image-1.jpg

playfield.jpg

Screen+shot+2010-07-12+at+7.20.17+PM.png

Sign in to follow this