🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 136 - Hell Comes to Frogtown: LIVE!

HDTGM All-Stars Natasha Leggero and Moshe Kasher join Paul and Jason to discuss the 1988 cult film Hell Comes to Frogtown starring professional wrestler "Rowdy" Roddy Piper. Recorded LIVE from the world famous Largo at the Coronet in Los Angeles, they'll discuss the similarities to Mad Max: Fury Road, the camouflaged bikini scene, frog strippers, and the Dance of the Three Snakes. Plus, a real veterinarian from the audience answers the question of the night: "Do frogs have 3 dicks?" Don’t forget to check out Blake Harris' Oral History of Hell Comes to Frogtown over at www.slashfilm.com!

WATCH Filthy Preppy Teen$ on the FullScreen App today! Get yourself a BB-8 “What Is Its Mission?” T-shirt or Tote Bag over at http://howdidthisgetmade.bigcartel.com/ Set your DVRs for Party Over Here, a new FOX sketch comedy show from The Lonely Island and Paul starring Nicole Byer, Jessica McKenna, and Alison Rich. It airs Saturdays at 11 pm. People of the internet: Watch Paul in Fresh off the Boat on ABC. Awhile ago, Paul and Rob Huebel did a comedy special on a 60 foot glass bus that traveled around LA. Now you’ll be able to see it. Go to https://itun.es/us/3M4J9 now to buy it! You can also see Jason in Transparent on Amazon! Also, check out June in Grace and Frankie available on Netflix, and in all the episodes of NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU for free, and Jason in The Dictator (he’s still in it!).

They Live? F those people. They Live is GREAT.

• Like 4

And for the reboot, Rob " The Gronk " Gronkowsky as Sam Hell ( Rob Hell? ), and Judith Light ( in character as Angela ) as Spangle. Or Angela. Or Spangela.

I know I have posted this picture on Earwolf before, but since we are discussing Hell Comes to Frogtown and this might be the only image of me that doesn't make me cringe, I thought it was worth re-posting. Also, because I <3 Rowdy Roddy Piper forever. They Live is on AFI's list of 100 Greatest Movies, right? Between Casablanca and Gone With the Wind?

300777_698843245856_7246852_n.jpg?oh=b3380f47210e9948703314dd688b2874&oe=57DC269C

• Like 10

I know I have posted this picture on Earwolf before, but since we are discussing Hell Comes to Frogtown and this might be the only image of me that doesn't make me cringe, I thought it was worth re-posting. Also, because I <3 Rowdy Roddy Piper forever. They Live is on AFI's list of 100 Greatest Movies, right? Between Casablanca and Gone With the Wind?

300777_698843245856_7246852_n.jpg?oh=b3380f47210e9948703314dd688b2874&oe=57DC269C

Which one are you? <snigger>

Ok, I just watched the movie a second time (which wasn't fun at all), but this time I listened to the audio commentary by director Donald G. Jackson and script writer Randall Frakes. And they shared some nice information about the movie. And I want to share some of it with you guys.

The idea for frogtown came to Donald G. Jackson during the shooting of the last scene of his movie "Rollerblade". Wile on the set he "turned around and somebody [...] had spray-painted on a brick wall the name "Frogtown". And I turned to the actors I was working with and said: 'You know what? That's a sign. That's our next movie: Frogtown.'"

The script was written in under a week due to a bet. The director told the scriptwriter (Randall Frakes), that he'll get 500 extra Dollars if he can write the script in under a week. He finished it in 6 days which explains a lot.

The director always thought of Hell Comes to Frogtown as a franchise. He wanted comic books, toys, a tv-series "all the things that 'Turtles' later get". Imagine a franchise based on a rapist. Sounds promising.

Some raunchiness of the script had to go, because over time too many producers where involved, and they all wanted to change parts of the script. So a lot of nudity was cut from the script and even the dance for the three snakes was shortened. Bergman improvised the dance (which is kinda obvious) and even got a bit more further and be more erotic but was cut due to executives.

Jackson and Frakes wanted Pam Grier to play Centinella (and she was interested in the part) but the executives producers thought "an interracial love scene might hurt businesses".

In the early "vision" it was more like a martial arts movie with fight scenes with wires, swords and samurai-inspired costumes but the executives just didn't like it.

"I really wanted it to be a samurai spaghetti western"

(Donald G. Jackson)

The strange sexist vibe of the movie, might be the fault (or the intention) of writer Randall Frakes, who wanted it to be a pro-feminist and simultaneously a pro-chauvinist movie.

Jackson and Frakes share another interesting fact, how their vision of the movie got pushed back. The main villain Toady should have had not only three dicks but also four arms. And even though the costumes where already designed, one executive said, it would be to expensive to pay the extra puppeteers. The writer got extremely angry about this, because the executives already changed too much. The same executive asked one day: "Could we do the movie without any frogs?" Anyway, after writer Frakes wrote a letter to all executives he officially was no longer part of the project and director Jackson was threatened that he would be next.

ECR meant "electronic control ring" but was originally written as "electronic cock ring".

• Like 9

When the apparently feral woman was totally normal after a night with Rowdy Roddy I could only think of the song "I Heal With My Steel" from Earwolf family member and HDTGM alum Howard Kremer.

• Like 2

I'm glad Ronda Rousey was brought up when they were discussing Roddy Piper's "Rowdy" nickname, because Ronda Rousey actually asked Piper's permission to use it, as they were both trained by "Judo" Gene LeBell.

LeBell trained Roddy in Judo and Pro Wrestling. He later bestowed the "Rowdy" name onto him when Piper wrestled for his NWA Hollywood Wrestling promotion as the top heel character, where Andy Kaufman was a frequent attendee for the shows, and would use Piper's promos as inspiration. One such example was when Piper was feuding with the Guerrero family, and as a way of apology to them and the Mexican people, he would play the Mexican national anthem on the bagpipes... and then performed a rendition of "La Cucaracha", inciting a riot in the arena. Kaufman would use some of Piper's comments and bits on stage, and during his own wrestling career in Memphis.

Later, LeBell trained Ronda Rousey (a longtime Pro-Wrestling fan), and she asked Roddy for permission to carry the "Rowdy" nickname as a tribute to him after LeBell introduced the two. Rousey then paid tribute to Piper in her fight with Beth Correira which came shortly after Piper passed away

• Like 4

Great episode!

While I have no desire to actually re-watch this movie to catch when and which character said it, did anyone else catch that in the universe of this movie there also appears to be a town called either "Eagleton" or "Eagletown?" Does that mean that there is another place in this movie filled with anthropomorphic eagles? It seems to me that the logical sequel in the "Hell comes to..." franchise should have taken place there. If nothing else, it would have given Sam the Eagle an opportunity to finally get out from Kermit the Frog's shadow and lead a movie where "Rowdy" Roddy Piper attempts to steal-fuck a number of concubines from his formidable Aerial Fortress.

Where's my Hell Comes to Frogtown/ Muppets crossover, motherfuckers?!?

muppets_samtheeaglefanathon_hd.jpg

And, not for nothing, but eagles--like frogs--also have cloacae, so it would at least fit with the total disregard for animal anatomy exhibited in this movie.

• Like 7

Sandahl "Do You Want To Live Forever" Bergman deserved better than this movie. Hopefully the coffee on set was good.

Way to go female audience members! Especially the infinity scarf knitter--you go girl!

I'm not certain as I'm not an LA person, but was the final fight with Tody shot at Vasquez Rocks or "Kirk's Rocks," i.e. the famous rock formation where Kirk fought the green monster dude in the original Star Trek? I think it was, but it's not on Wikipedia. If not, it looked very similar and I think it was an intentional reference, with our hero fighting a green monster and all.

This location has been used in dozens of movies and TV shows: Blazing Saddles, Dante's Peak, Murder She Wrote and MacGyver...and I think most cleverly, we can all agree, in Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

• Like 7

ECU meant "electronic control ring" but was originally written as "electronic cock ring". Don't ask why it isn't called ECR.

That's weird, because in the end credits, it's listed as the ECR.

C531gm2.png

As for the longest career in Pro-Wrestling, while there isn't really an official record for it, as there are independent shows all over the world, there are wrestlers who have had over 50 year careers, like Lou Thesz (who wrestled for 58 years), Terry Funk (50 years), and Abdullah the Butcher and Johnny Saint both made their debut in 1958, and are still wrestling today

But many believe that Gypsy Joe has had the longest Pro-Wrestling career, which started in 1951 and retired in 2011, a full 60 years. What made Gypsy Joe's career all the more remarkable was that, much like Abdullah the Butcher, most of his career was contested in "Hardcore" matches, which involved him getting hit with weapons, wrestling in barbed wire, thumbtacks and broken glass, and generally getting the shit kicked out of him.

• Like 2

Sandahl "Do You Want To Live Forever" Bergman deserved better than this movie. Hopefully the coffee on set was good.

Sandahl Bergman is the instructor from this 1989 work out video, The Firm, Vol. 3:

• Like 2

Sandahl Bergman is the instructor from this 1989 work out video, The Firm, Vol. 3:

Audition tape for Perfect 2. I am assuming the producers couldn't get Travolta and Curtis back for the sequel.

As we are told, each side of this war is "desperate to rebuild and rearm" and that is why they need Sam Hell to impregnate as many women as possible. But even if he pulls it off, when is the govt expecting these offspring to start fighting? Is the unmade sequel some type of Frogtown/Super Babies crossover film? And if the legal age limit didn't change for 18... that means the govt is expecting this war to last close to two decades before these kids can start helping out.

I think this movie could make a great example entry in the slang dictionary for "Has No Chill". The Provisional Govt wants to repopulate their country for the express reason of continuing to fight a war that has already essentially destroyed the planet. No Chill.

• Like 2

I'm not certain as I'm not an LA person, but was the final fight with Tody shot at Vasquez Rocks or "Kirk's Rocks," i.e. the famous rock formation where Kirk fought the green monster dude in the original Star Trek? I think it was, but it's not on Wikipedia. If not, it looked very similar and I think it was an intentional reference, with our hero fighting a green monster and all.

This location has been used in dozens of movies and TV shows: Blazing Saddles, Dante's Peak, Murder She Wrote and MacGyver...and I think most cleverly, we can all agree, in Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

Yes, it is shot at Vasquez Rocks (they talk about it in the commentary).

That's weird, because in the end credits, it's listed as the ECR.

Then I think he might just said it wrong and thought about "unit" or something. So ECR makes sense. (btw.: the director still owns it)

• Like 1

All the talk of Roddy and Ric Flair just reminds of the episode of Wife Swap that they did.

Did anyone else notice that Sam needed constant reminders of what his role is in this world?

Example 1: He was explicitly told by the head nurse that he has to impregnate as many women as possible so the govt outnumbers the frog army. Then almost :20 mins later, Sandahl Bergman tells him: "We're gonna get em out (the harem), and you're gonna get em pregnant." This is Sam's immediate reaction:

MeBnUQm.png[/img]

It's the look of man in pure shock and concern. Let's not forget this man is a confirmed rapist. He was told by the nurse that if he is successful, his record would be cleared.

Example 2: After all is said and done and the harem is rescued, Sandahl reminds Sam that he still has work to do. Still has duties to "fulfill." Well Sam is completely flummoxed...

scDy48a.png[/img]

Come on Sam! Get with the damn program already!

• Like 4

We really need to dive more into Sandahl's earrings.

We are told that 1 controls the ECR or electronic stinger and the other is a directional finder. Fine.

But then the writers add more complexity in that if the earrings are removed from her body, Sam's belt will explode.

ofwj3yH.png[/img]

But then they stepped up the crazy by 1,000% and implied that Sam's belt can be triggered by the simplest of touches. During the 3 Snake Scarf scene, one of the scarfs gently grazes her earring and Sam's belt starts beeping during his torture scene. WHAT?!

So now that we know Sandahl can't take off the earrings without blowing the equipment and that the lightest of touches will set it off... how did she sleep at night? Did she never roll on to her side?

This needs explaining!!!

• Like 2

Last post... just found this funny...

This is how Sam looks immediately after the brutal fight with the border guard

JlF4mEa.png[/img]

The VERY next scene... not a blemish or resemblance of a fight taking place

RE9FFdS.png[/img]

• Like 2