🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 136 - Hell Comes to Frogtown: LIVE!

Also, in that crazy Casablanca bar scene, one of the frog extras is reading The Frog Prince...

I guess when your doomed to live your life as a hideous frog monster you've just got to own it, huh?

Oh, he just dreamed about a princess walking in to kiss him. Oh, wait. They should have put that in the movie. The reading frog walking up to blondie and beg her to kiss him. :)

• Like 2

Guys, do all frogs have 3 snakes? Then do the female frogs have 3 snake...holes?

• Like 1

1. I know Moshe mentioned this during the show with the Wikipedia entry for this movie (but like the Star Wars prequels, I don't go in for extra-curricular, non-in-film answers to questions the movie fails to address), but why does the Provisional Government risk their most valuable asset by sending Sam to Frogtown? Even if they harvest Sam's sperm beforehand, wouldn't it be a much better idea to imprison him and essentially keep his "fresh" genetic material in reserve while also (and separately) sending in a non-Sam-Hell-inclusive Seal Team 6 to rescue the girls from Frogtown?

There is a scene in the truck where Bobo Judith Light tells him that they have collected samples, which makes him expendable; that's not just a Wikipedia addition. However, that still doesn't get around the question. Those samples are finite. I don't know how long he was around for them to collect samples, but it couldn't have been more than a couple days. How many women could they impregnate with those samples, even assuming it works on the first attempt (it often doesn't; the success rate for IVF is between 20-35%)?

So, you're right, even if you have these samples, why the hell would you send the one dude that can make more into the wasteland to go bang/rape every fertile woman he can find?

• Like 1

Guys, do all frogs have 3 snakes? Then do the female frogs have 3 snake...holes?

That would give a whole different meaning to the bar Tom Haverford owns part of on Parks and Rec:

Snakehole_Lounge.jpg

• Like 3

Man, this guy got all of this money to make a bad movie off a script that he wrote in a week and didn't even really follow...yet projects that have a majority non-white cast get cast aside regularly?

And I get the feeling that Natasha didn't look at this one little bit. She had much more to say in The Tourist ep. In this one, she just laughed at jokes. She might as well have been in the audience.

• Like 1

shots-fired.jpg

Just heard the part where Jason imitated Pete Holmes' laugh. So good!

• Like 5

This was recorded the same night as Solarbabies, so I really expected June to be there, too. I was bummed she wasn't, but between her filming schedule, the baby, and being pregnant, I'm betting she just had her hands full and needed to cut out after the first show.

And I bet the live show thing comes down to the fact that it's easiest for them to schedule one night a month to record (also, I don't know how much of the ticket price they see, but I feel like there's got to be a certain amount of money coming in from those). I think all of their schedules have gotten a lot busier over the course of the 5 years they've been doing this.

I prefer the studio eps, too, but I'll take live eps over no eps or sporadic eps.

I like the live eps, I think the crowd gives a fun extra energy. But I understand why some people don't like them, especially when there's a running gag about someone in the audience that the podcasters can't see. (Though I saw the scarf because I saw the pictures from this ep and Jason wore it.)

As for June not being there, you have to pay attention to Paul's announcements about live shows. A couple times he says "June will only be at the first show." I think that is because doing two in a row might be too taxing for a pregnant lady or maybe she has early call times. I don't know. This is the third time it's happened. (Apple/Streets of Fire, Bloodsport/Can't Stop the Music--though she didn't end up being at Bloodsport either because of a family emergency Paul said--and now Solarbabies/Hell Comes to Frogtown).

I definitely missed June's opinion on this one. I think she would've added to the discussion and I always love a female perspective. Natasha was, sadly, silent a lot. As much as people complained about Cameron Esposito as a guest, at least she brought it. Although I think Natasha's problem was she didn't really watch the movie, not that she's not funny or some of the things said about Cameron.

Ooh you know who else would've been good for this ep? Nicole Byer. Imagine all the dick updates.

• Like 5

According to IMDb trivia (which is just as suspect as Wikipedia), Sandahl Bergman didn't refuse to do nudity during the dance of the three snakes on the day of filming; it was part of the stipulation of taking the role. They adjusted the scene before filming, so it's not like they were getting ready to shoot and she was like, "UH NEVER MIND!"

Also, I may have mentioned this in the minisode thread, but it took me a really long time to realize that Cec Verrell's character's name was not "Citronella."

• Like 1

I like the live eps, I think the crowd gives a fun extra energy. But I understand why some people don't like them, especially when there's a running gag about someone in the audience that the podcasters can't see. (Though I saw the scarf because I saw the pictures from this ep and Jason wore it.)

As for June not being there, you have to pay attention to Paul's announcements about live shows. A couple times he says "June will only be at the first show." I think that is because doing two in a row might be too taxing for a pregnant lady or maybe she has early call times. I don't know. This is the third time it's happened. (Apple/Streets of Fire, Bloodsport/Can't Stop the Music--though she didn't end up being at Bloodsport either because of a family emergency Paul said--and now Solarbabies/Hell Comes to Frogtown).

I definitely missed June's opinion on this one. I think she would've added to the discussion and I always love a female perspective. Natasha was, sadly, silent a lot. As much as people complained about Cameron Esposito as a guest, at least she brought it. Although I think Natasha's problem was she didn't really watch the movie, not that she's not funny or some of the things said about Cameron.

Ooh you know who else would've been good for this ep? Nicole Byer. Imagine all the dick updates.

Yeah, she didn't look at the movie. She had more to say on the Tourist ep awhile back. If its one thing she doesn't lack, its opinions.

Oh, I don't dislike the live shows; I just like the studio eps more. But, really, they're all great. I enjoy the conversational tone of the studio eps, which feels more like friends sitting around joking about a terrible movie. Live shows are still funny, and I love any HDTGM I can get, so I definitely don't want to come off like I hate live shows. Studio ones are just my preference. It's like if someone offered me tacos or pizza. I'll take tacos every time, but that doesn't mean I don't love pizza, too.

Also, the fact that studio eps are fewer are farther between make me enjoy them even more now. They're like a nice little treat when they come up.

Yeah, she didn't look at the movie. She had more to say on the Tourist ep awhile back. If its one thing she doesn't lack, its opinions.

ETA: She said early on that she checked out in the first few minutes of the movie.

• Like 3

This was recorded the same night as Solarbabies, so I really expected June to be there, too. I was bummed she wasn't, but between her filming schedule, the baby, and being pregnant, I'm betting she just had her hands full and needed to cut out after the first show.

And I bet the live show thing comes down to the fact that it's easiest for them to schedule one night a month to record (also, I don't know how much of the ticket price they see, but I feel like there's got to be a certain amount of money coming in from those). I think all of their schedules have gotten a lot busier over the course of the 5 years they've been doing this.

I prefer the studio eps, too, but I'll take live eps over no eps or sporadic eps.

I personally think they should just scrap the podcast all together and only release commentaries or companion breakdowns of the selected movies. That way, it will be easier to schedule, it will be longer, and they can have more people over. Release on the Howl as a per ep download. I'll pay 1.99 to hear them really get into a movie as a commentary.

That guy who called himself the "Jason" of the group was more like the Andre of the group.

andre-the-league-main.jpg

• Like 14

On Facebook, Neal Fersko mentions that this movie was shown often on Saturday afternoons at NYC's WPIX TV station. I grew up with that channel (or as New Yorkers called it, "channel 11") and its penchant for showing cheesy action movies like Invasion USA on lazy afternoons. But I remember them being relatively coherent and normal motion pictures like Invasion USA (yup, this movie is even making Cannon's output look customary in comparison).

Does anyone know what the TV edits for this movie were? As a broadcast channel, WPIX had plenty of editing for TV, in fact they had the very first TV edit I noticed (Dirty Harry, the

getting the "and a hard-on" part silenced). There's pretty much no movie that can't be edited for TV, even ones like Scarface or
whose very premise seems to obviate it. But how did they pull off this one?

Could the frog mutants being seen as an unwanted species in a desert be a reference to cane toads as an invasive species in Australia? Hell Comes to Frogtown was neither made in nor set in Australia, and cane toads weren't mentioned in the Mad Max movies, but could this be a reference to the association established by Mad Max between post-apocalyptic movies and Australia?

• Like 2

Oh, I don't dislike the live shows; I just like the studio eps more. But, really, they're all great. I enjoy the conversational tone of the studio eps, which feels more like friends sitting around joking about a terrible movie. Live shows are still funny, and I love any HDTGM I can get, so I definitely don't want to come off like I hate live shows. Studio ones are just my preference. It's like if someone offered me tacos or pizza. I'll take tacos every time, but that doesn't mean I don't love pizza, too.

Also, the fact that studio eps are fewer are farther between make me enjoy them even more now. They're like a nice little treat when they come up.

ETA: She said early on that she checked out in the first few minutes of the movie.

Woah, woah, woah!

If episodes were foods, I would like to say that Pizza is the live show since it is more of a party food, whereas tacos are a studio food, since they are for smaller groups.

• Like 2

If Sam Hell's "equipment" is so valuable, why do they (ahem) manhandle it so frequently with shocks from the codpiece as a routine disciplinary measure? If they want to induce pain in a bodily organ to keep him in line, why not choose, well, any other one? If they want a restraint that cannot be removed or wriggled out of, why not a Battlefield Earth-style collar? (Yes, this movie is making Battlefield Earth look well-reasoned in comparison.)

• Like 1

I like both (studio and live shows), but damn--I love tacos!

TacoDance.gif

Anyone who says pizza is better can straight go to Hell.

• Like 3

Ah, fuck no! You guys can keep your sexy slices, Ninja Turtles, and cute kittens, 'cos you know who we got?

319620c0-7c1f-4892-9d4f-8a6c2e14ce90.jpg

Your move, mothafuckaz!

• Like 4