🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 136 - Hell Comes to Frogtown: LIVE!

Thank you everyone for the awesome gifs and images. They were just what I wanted :D

qxqgy8.jpg

Happy Birthday! I'll see ya later at the olive garden! .

• Like 3

Just found a person in my industry (who I don't know) tweeting about going to HDTGM tonight. I shall now attempt to force this person to become my new best friend.

... you can MAKE people like you, right?

• Like 6

Since it's been enough time since the episode came out and we can talk about random shit, have you guys read the newest paperback of Ant-Man? I noticed a familiar person in one of the issues.

scheer.jpg

What's even more surprising about it was that the cameo was written by one of the Marvel regulars rather than a comedian writing for Marvel who throws out nods to their buddies, like Brian Posehn giving a shout out to Scott Aukerman every couple issues of Deadpool, so Paul seems to have really made an impression at Marvel.

• Like 5

I really want them to keep it at F8 and then the whole movie talk about how it's fate that they are family.

This would also be acceptable.

#f8sogr8

Yeah, we want to know which piece of movie history we have to watch next. Maybe something with less rape, less frogs but more trained seduction techniques in army underwear...

Well, they did The Avengers last night (the 1998 one based on the British TV show; not the one about Earth's Mightiest Heroes), so I'd be willing to wager that's what'll be next.

• Like 4

Well, they did The Avengers last night (the 1998 one based on the British TV show; not the one about Earth's Mightiest Heroes), so I'd be willing to wager that's what'll be next.

its on now ... as i type ... i was going to watch it but then i remembered i had fury road on bluray so thats what i did for the last 2 hours ... it shouldn't have won 6 oscars ... it should have won them all ... god damn its good ... and to think ... we have hell comes to frogtown to thank for it ... thank you roddy ... where ever you are

• Like 1

Since it's been enough time since the episode came out and we can talk about random shit, have you guys read the newest paperback of Ant-Man? I noticed a familiar person in one of the issues.

What's even more surprising about it was that the cameo was written by one of the Marvel regulars rather than a comedian writing for Marvel who throws out nods to their buddies, like Brian Posehn giving a shout out to Scott Aukerman every couple issues of Deadpool, so Paul seems to have really made an impression at Marvel.

Fictional Paul is cheating on June!! Who gets Zouks in the divorce?

Also I guess the taping of "The Avengers" episode just ended. Here is the guest. (Spoiler: not a muppet. Darn.) The podcast area was sponsored by Casper and there were like, beds? It looked weird to me. Possibly some visual podcast humor on the next ep.

• Like 2

i had fury road on bluray so thats what i did for the last 2 hours ... it shouldn't have won 6 oscars ... it should have won them all ... god damn its good ... and to think ... we have hell comes to frogtown to thank for it ... thank you roddy ... where ever you are

I do not understand, why people like fury road (no offense). I found it boring and I didn't care about the characters. But it was better than Frogtown... :P

• Like 1

I do not understand, why people like fury road (no offense). I found it boring and I didn't care about the characters. But it was better than Frogtown... :P

Question: did you grow up with the Mad Max movies? I'm genuinely curious when people say they didn't like Fury Road. I grew up with those movies, and FR was extremely similar to Road Warrior in many respects. So I think my love of RW transferred into my love of FR.

Anyway, I hope I don't come off sounding too defensive, but I do want to give a little perspective on why so many people love this film:

1. It's thematically rich. For a film in any genre, this movie is working with so many different themes. For an action movie, it's almost unprecedented. There are, of course, the feminist themes that also tie in with the idea of the female spirits of vengeance (i.e., The Furies). There's this idea of seeking an elusive paradise vs creating your own. There's populist rule vs dictatorship. There's a theme of death and rebirth (symbolized by bullets and seeds). There are many more at work in this film, but just those few alone are more than many more-celebrated films (looking at you, Revenant) are working with.

2. It's beautiful. The stunts are all practical, which grounds the movie in reality. But the color schemes and saturations are so fantastic (as in not based in reality; not as a synonym for awesome) that it gives the film such a beautiful and unique look. The car and costume designs are amazing. There so much painstaking detail in every shot. Even if you don't like the film, it's hard to deny that it's beautiful to look at.

3. The biggest complaint I've heard against it is "all they do is drive out one way and then turn around and drive back to where they came from." Cool. Swap "drive" out for "walk" and that describes Lord of the Rings in the same reductive method. This isn't as much a movie about the destination as it is about what happens to the characters on the way to get there. If you didn't like the characters, that's probably not interesting. However, each of the three main characters has their own arc, and while they are going through their arc because of experiencing the same events together, their arcs are wildly independent of each other.

• Like 3

Question: did you grow up with the Mad Max movies? I'm genuinely curious when people say they didn't like Fury Road. I grew up with those movies, and FR was extremely similar to Road Warrior in many respects. So I think my love of RW transferred into my love of FR.

I've heard this before in regards to people who didn't like it, but here I am trashing that theory because I still haven't seen a single other Mad Max movie AND I FUCKING LOVED FURY ROAD WITH THE PASSION OF A THOUSAND BURNING SUNS

• Like 4

Anyway, I hope I don't come off sounding too defensive, but I do want to give a little perspective on why so many people love this film:

1. It's thematically rich. For a film in any genre, this movie is working with so many different themes. For an action movie, it's almost unprecedented. There are, of course, the feminist themes that also tie in with the idea of the female spirits of vengeance (i.e., The Furies). There's this idea of seeking an elusive paradise vs creating your own. There's populist rule vs dictatorship. There's a theme of death and rebirth (symbolized by bullets and seeds). There are many more at work in this film, but just those few alone are more than many more-celebrated films (looking at you, Revenant) are working with.

2. It's beautiful. The stunts are all practical, which grounds the movie in reality. But the color schemes and saturations are so fantastic (as in not based in reality; not as a synonym for awesome) that it gives the film such a beautiful and unique look. The car and costume designs are amazing. There so much painstaking detail in every shot. Even if you don't like the film, it's hard to deny that it's beautiful to look at.

3. The biggest complaint I've heard against it is "all they do is drive out one way and then turn around and drive back to where they came from." Cool. Swap "drive" out for "walk" and that describes Lord of the Rings in the same reductive method. This isn't as much a movie about the destination as it is about what happens to the characters on the way to get there. If you didn't like the characters, that's probably not interesting. However, each of the three main characters has their own arc, and while they are going through their arc because of experiencing the same events together, their arcs are wildly independent of each other.

Yeah, I did grow up with the old Mad Max. Only liked the first.

I do get your points, I think my biggest problem with fury road are just the characters. As soon as I do not care for even one of them, I get bored. Just like Lord of the rings. I just did not care. ;) I'm with CinemaSins on this one. :)

• Like 1

I do get your points, I think my biggest problem with fury road are just the characters. As soon as I do not care for even one of them, I get bored. Just like Lord of the rings. I just did not care. ;) I'm with CinemaSins on this one. :)

I'm with you, Timbosteron.

Not only do I agree that Fury Road is wildly overrated, I also feel like Deadpool was "just okay."

...And BOOM goes the dynamite.

iron-man-tony-stark-explosion-in-background.gif?w=500

• Like 2

Not only do I agree that Fury Road is wildly overrated, I also feel like Deadpool was "just okay."

Simon_amstell_buzzcocks_shocked_and_appalled.gif

• Like 4

Gonna start calling you Contrarian H.

Really? You like Mad Max over Road Warrior? That's just insanity talking. Thunderdome is pure shit (at least, after the Thunderdome part), but RW is amazing.

Also, CinemaSins had a disclaimer about how much they loved the movie but still made the sins video because it's what they do.

• Like 2

Gonna start calling you Contrarian H.

Ha! Sorry, I'll try to be cool...

Honestly, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I usually have to wait for this things to be available to rent/buy before I can see them. By the time I get to such and such a movie, I've been hearing people rave about it for so long that my expectations become unreasonably high. I honestly wonder if Batman v. Superman might have an opposite effect and I'll walk away loving it... (although, I kind of doubt it)

And, don't get me wrong, both Fury Road and Deadpool are fine movies and I own them both, I just don't think they were all that. Kind of, if they're on I might sit and watch them, but I'm not confident that I'd go out of my way to re-watch them.

I love FR like this kid loves his new puck

200.gif

I grew up aware of Mad Max but only because of Tupac's and Dr Dre's opus, California Love. Now I want a Nicki Minaj song like California Love. Why hasn't this happened yet...

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Not to totally derail the conversation, but I'm gonna derail the conversation...

I finally got to see Paul on The Nightly Show and I just have to say I love their whole thing on weed.

x8vUEAq.gif

• Like 2

I had the same situation as Cameron H, I think people (tumblr) hyped "Fury Road" up too much. When I watched it, I was like "Oh it's cool car chases with a lady character." Although I did not grow up with the Mad Max series. I remember Thunderdome because I love Tina Turner but mostly that music video not the actual movie.

And Deadpool was good but I actually thought it could've been funnier. I mean, it was funnier than Ant-man (another one that was billed as a comedy and ended up being a straight superhero film) but I think they could've gone further. And maybe they will in the sequel! IDK.

I haven't seen the Nightly Show yet.

• Like 1

I don't understand how anyone could possibly not enjoy Fury Road. It's pure joy. People in crazy costumes doing crazy stunts, all color corrected to hell. It's even artful at times without needing to be -- the silver paint on the teeth, the guitarist looking like a hood ornament, those dudes on stilts. That's how I like to see big Hollywood budgets spent (compare/contrast Marvel flicks).

I mean sure I like Godard more.

I grew up aware of Mad Max but only because of Tupac's and Dr Dre's opus, California Love. Now I want a Nicki Minaj song like California Love. Why hasn't this happened yet...

giphy.gif

Haven't you seen the video for Hey Mama?

• Like 1

I'm surprised no one called out the audience member when Natasha mentioned somebody was drinking tea. As we all know from the Hercuies in New York episode, tea is code for drugs.

• Like 1

I hadn't seen or looked up anything on this movie before listening. On hearing that Roddy was overweight, I finally looked up pictures and HOLY SHIT. Is that really the same Roddy from They Live? It looks more like Meatloaf or the lead singer from Grim Reaper.

How many years was this made after They Live? .....HOLY SHIT it was made only ten months BEFORE They Live?

Props to whatever diet he went on between the two.

• Like 1

I hadn't seen or looked up anything on this movie before listening. On hearing that Roddy was overweight, I finally looked up pictures and HOLY SHIT. Is that really the same Roddy from They Live? It looks more like Meatloaf or the lead singer from Grim Reaper.

How many years was this made after They Live? .....HOLY SHIT it was made only ten months BEFORE They Live?

Props to whatever diet he went on between the two.

Believe that diet was called touring the country wrestling for the WWF 5-6 nights a week. Even back then those guys were busting their asses to keep in shape, because that was the best way to keep their spots on the card as Vince McMahon always gave better matches to the more muscular dudes or guys who could talk on the mic. In Piper's case he was more column B than A but he was still in great shape.

So this movie was Super Mario Brothers and Escape From New York thrown into a blender with a dash of USA Up! All Night's rated PG sexiness seasoning.