🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 136 - Hell Comes to Frogtown: LIVE!

Correction: Sam Hell's name was not revealed 45 minutes in! There was a "wanted" poster with his name in the beginning of the video! Unfortunately I can't get a picture of it because I deleted the video from my hard drive the exact moment the video ended. So if one of you guys can grab a screencap of it and post it as a reply to this we can totally share the first correction-collabo award.

I'm not sure about this. I mean, yes, it all sound like he's a rapist, but it couldn't be the intention of the writers to make a rapist the hero of a movie. Let's say he didn't rape the daughter of Count Sodom...

"Count Sodom" you say? I wonder how he earned his title?

Plus, ironically, he has a daughter, so we know that he has somehow gone around and knocked on the front door at least once. I presume it was out of civic duty, he just gritted his teeth and thought of...whatever the fuck that shithole was meant to be called. But at least we do know that he's one of the lucky 32%. He's just not into that sort of thing. And if he's in anyway representative of the fertile minority of human masculinity then I think I know why the population has taken such a hit.

And it wasnt fallout. Well, it was a type of fallout, but it was 'fall out' where it should have been 'stick out'.

Him, Baron Blowjob, Lord Wankedout and the Duke of Dicksoft, not the most inspired example of an executive charged with repopulating the planet for humanity.

Flunkey: "Good news and bad news, your grace."

Count Sodom: "Well give me the good news first."

F.: "We know of a guy whose nuts are riper than a black banana and hes into the ladieeeeez!"

C.S.: "Great bumsex, that is good news!! So, whats the downside?"

F.: "Wellllll....well, to be blunt, hes a little bit rapey."

C.S.: "Hmmmm. Look we cant afford to be fussy, get him. Do you know where he is?"

F.: "Errr... yeah, yeah we do. He was last seen lurking around outside .... outside Sodom Manor."

C. S.: "WHAAATTT!!!! Quick, to the Buttmobile! We must hurry! I only hope that if he has done the worst that he has man gravy you could grow onions on....HURRY!"

Count 'Sodom', the dont wear a johnny posters, the oh so casual attitude to sexual assault, the frog nymphomania.

Damn, its true, they were definitely bucking the 'Aids is bad' message of the mid 80s, werent they .

• Like 1

Correction: Sam Hell's name was not revealed 45 minutes in! There was a "wanted" poster with his name in the beginning of the video! Unfortunately I can't get a picture of it because I deleted the video from my hard drive the exact moment the video ended. So if one of you guys can grab a screencap of it and post it as a reply to this we can totally share the first correction-collabo award.

I got you.

q3h0Gic.png?1

• Like 1

How was the name "Hellman" brought up, and not one single mayonnaise joke?

• Like 2

If I did what I do whilst I'm listening at a live show... I wouldn't be there long.

Because I listen whilst I walk down the shop, and it's over a mile away, so unless everyone wants to follow me whilst I do that, then I'm not gonna be there and miss most of it. I know what you were all thinking, get your minds out of the gutter

• Like 5

There is something that really bothers me. So he's one of the few men (not the only one) who can reproduce. As mentioned in the podcast they really should get as much sperm as they can from him, put it in the freezer and use it over and over.

But, instead of sending armed men, a few soldiers with rifles to Frogtown, who then get the kidnapped women, they sent him. He, who is so valuable, is sent on a dangerous mission, because...? Because he needs to fuck'em as soon as possible?

Just keep him safe, let him wank in a cup, get the girls and stop let him hump every woman he sees.

A much better movie with a similar premise does this exact thing, rapist main character is valued for his fertility in post-apocalyptic setting, but he has his sperm harvested instead of sexing up every woman that needs to get pregnant. I haven't seen Frogtown but a lot of it seems like a ripoff of 1975's A Boy and His Dog plus Escape from New York.

The whole film is on Youtube for some reason.

Purely based on what I heard (Since there was no visual) in the "How does the flap work" discussion, I think we might know who on that stage is a shower, and who is a grower.

• Like 3

2. Speaking of narrators, Daniel Stern was not the narrator of Stand by Me (as incorrectly stated by Paul). He was the voice of future-Kevin in the Wonder Years (as Jason said).

Yeah... it was the amazing Richard Dreyfus who portrays the older will wheaton character.

• Like 3

New Howdies Category: "Most Offensive Accent Work By a HDTGM Guest"?

On a different note, the best part of this episode was Jason doing Pete Holmes' laugh. That whole section starting with the terrible pun that led into the Pete jokes was total gold. And Jason's Pete laugh just sealed the deal.

• Like 6

Just started listening... Holy shit, I Also do crochet while listening. haha!

I do too! I was really happy when she set Moshe straight, correcting that she was knitting and not crocheting

I went on a podcast/crochet binge during reading week and made a mermaid blanket

• Like 6

No June again! Live episode again? What's going on? It's always such a bummer to see a live episode is posted. I so look forward to this podcast twice a month and the live shows are just not as magical as studio eps. And no June then whats the freaking point?

• Like 1

I remember watching this movie at a friend's house on VHS in the mid-90's when I was 15. It made me kinda feel weird about my body and human sexuality in general. My take-away was that this quasi-cult movie was sort-of like A Boy and His Dog, but with a higher concentration of not-even-metaphorical dick commentary and questionable/objectionable sexual ethics. Oh, and it was absolutely fuckin' horrible. It felt like a movie targeted towards 12 year-old boys who were curious about sex, but didn't quite get it yet.

Here are the questions a second viewing of this film 26 years later left me with:

1. I know Moshe mentioned this during the show with the Wikipedia entry for this movie (but like the Star Wars prequels, I don't go in for extra-curricular, non-in-film answers to questions the movie fails to address), but why does the Provisional Government risk their most valuable asset by sending Sam to Frogtown? Even if they harvest Sam's sperm beforehand, wouldn't it be a much better idea to imprison him and essentially keep his "fresh" genetic material in reserve while also (and separately) sending in a non-Sam-Hell-inclusive Seal Team 6 to rescue the girls from Frogtown?

2. To that end, is clamping a chastity belt packed with explosives on the last man in the civilized world who can impregnate women such a good idea? I know it's a female-run government and all, but they act as if their actions were scripted by a man.

3. During the ride to Frogtown, do you think they film's soundtrack included "Johnny Comes Marching Home" as an allusion to Sam Hell's "Johnson" marching into battle? Oy vey...

4. Does this movie seriously posit that the best way to cure a woman of "desert crazies" is to drug and rape her? And then she'll wake up the next morning clean, refreshed and thankful to be knock-up by her rapist?!? Yikes...!

5. And on that note, this is how a female-run provisional government would work??? Instead of asking for willing female volunteers to become mothers to repopulate the species, the Provisional Government would send out it's only "loaded weapon" to rape women and impregnate them against their will(s)?!? Sisters are, apparently, doing it against themselves.

6. Jason mentioned this briefly, but do you think the directors of Children of Men "borrowed" the sterilized humans motif from this film?

• Like 1

No June again! Live episode again? What's going on? It's always such a bummer to see a live episode is posted. I so look forward to this podcast twice a month and the live shows are just not as magical as studio eps. And no June then whats the freaking point?

This was recorded the same night as Solarbabies, so I really expected June to be there, too. I was bummed she wasn't, but between her filming schedule, the baby, and being pregnant, I'm betting she just had her hands full and needed to cut out after the first show.

And I bet the live show thing comes down to the fact that it's easiest for them to schedule one night a month to record (also, I don't know how much of the ticket price they see, but I feel like there's got to be a certain amount of money coming in from those). I think all of their schedules have gotten a lot busier over the course of the 5 years they've been doing this.

I prefer the studio eps, too, but I'll take live eps over no eps or sporadic eps.

• Like 2

The human scavenger from the first scene of the movie apparently named "The Poor Dufus". This is getting more Fury Road by the minute - I think we can safely assume that George Miller created the Doof Warrior based on that character's name alone.

When R-squared and Sandahl Bergman enter Frogtown, there's a sign: "Welcome to Frogtown - If you lived here, you'd be ___" The blank is smudged out. What in the Sam Hell did it say???

I'm not sure if I'm the only one who noticed this, but When I watched the "Dance of the three snakes" I was reminded of this scene from a 1960's German film set in India (With lots of brown face) and I almost wonder if this was what they were trying to go for, but failed miserably. Because this is actually really great. (WARNING: Giant statue tits right out the gate at 0:00) Also note, her costume shows a LOT, yetthey managed to cover her belly button. haha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36OxSwdn7p4&feature=youtu.be

So when they said dance of the three snakes, and that you will die if you don't do it, and channel your inner desire, this is kind of where I thought it was going. Too bad it didn't.

When R-squared and Sandahl Bergman enter Frogtown, there's a sign: "Welcome to Frogtown - If you lived here, you'd be ___" The blank is smudged out. What in the Sam Hell did it say???

I think I can answer it. In the commentary the director says the art department fucked it up a little and made it to unreadable. The sign says: "Welcome to Frogtown - If you lived here, you'd be home". Which is insanely correct. :D

And by the way: I prefer the live episodes. Even though sometimes the audience is hard to understand, I just think it is more fun. :)

• Like 3

I think I can answer it. In the commentary the director says the art department fucked it up a little and made it to unreadable. The sign says: "Welcome to Frogtown - If you lived here, you'd be home". Which is insanely correct. :D

And by the way: I prefer the live episodes. Even though sometimes the audience is hard to understand, I just think it is more fun. :)

"If you lived here, you'd have rockin' frog tits"

• Like 4

In the game Fallout, some people survived a nuclear apocalypse by living in underground vaults. Some of there were actually experiments run by the company that constructed the vaults. Vault 69 (clever, eh?) was apparently populated by 1 man and 999 women.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault_69

The game series also features slavers, mutants, warring factions, and a government similar to what we see in this movie.

• Like 1

Did anyone else think that the frog woman looked a hell of a lot like the female gremlin from Gremlins 2: The New Batch?

c7b2718caca6cc446d244e0cdfa10c61.jpg

Also, in that crazy Casablanca bar scene, one of the frog extras is reading The Frog Prince...

I guess when your doomed to live your life as a hideous frog monster you've just got to own it, huh?

• Like 11

Clearly Michael Fassbender should play Earnest in the reboot. Also, Rhonda Rousey should play Samantha Hell I the Frogtown reboot.

• Like 2

Oh, and we're all agreed that June is the Jason of the How Did This Get Made group, right?

• Like 7

How was the name "Hellman" brought up, and not one single mayonnaise joke?

Hellman ?!? Well, he does have the real mayonnaise.

There you go.

• Like 2