🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

I think Star Trek needs to have some place in The Canon. Whether it's picking one film from the series. Or movies versus movies.

I'd be really interested in your take on Wrath of Khan, or The Undiscovered Country. Or even the series as a whole.

Was going to suggest this, but found this thread was already here. With this new film out, i feel like this is the perfect time to put a Star Trek film up for debate

I think a versus may be appropriate for such a huge franchise, just as was done with Star Wars vs Empire. I'll have to step back from making a suggestion as I'm not really a fan.

I think a versus may be appropriate for such a huge franchise, just as was done with Star Wars vs Empire. I'll have to step back from making a suggestion as I'm not really a fan.

Wrath of Khan vs First Contact. The best TOS movie vs the best TNG movie

I think Khan has to be one of them, but I think the other being either IV or VI would be better than versus First Contact. I might love TNG, but their films are honestly a level below the even-numbered TOS films.

WoK is so ridiculously in already, there'd be almost nothing to dispute. They tried to remake it THREE TIMES (twice unarguably, once only partially, and even the latest movie steals the "vengeful villain with a longstanding grief with the Federation/magical MacGuffin bomb" plot), and never once came close. Every Trek fan loves it, it's got by far the greatest pop culture penetration, it ties in directly with the original series (so it both references the past and it repeatedly referenced in the future, making it the main junction of greater Trek continuity, both in and out-of-universe) and you'd be hard-pressed to find a fan of the films who doesn't put it at least in their top two, and usually at the very top.

IV's pretty popular with the layman (compared to anything of the other pre-'09 films), but it's still part three of a trilogy. First Contact has fans, but I maintain that it's nothing more than a mediocre action film, and a poor representation of what made TNG so popular. It's only notable because it's the ONE well-received TNG film. '09 is popular, but it's ridiculous to even consider it for The Canon. Whether it's good or not is, of course, a matter of taste (and largely based on what you're looking for from a movie with "Star Trek" written on it), but it's not remotely representative of what has made any Trek from any era popular. It's a modern action movie wearing the skin of the 60s series, and the most famous thing about it - even today - are those damn lens flares.

So either we give WoK an easy victory lap, or...maybe (and this is a big maybe)...you expand the topic to talk about II, III, and IV together, much as with the Godfather discussion. Then again, that episode had a guest really pushing it, while neither Devin nor Amy pushed at all for Return of the Jedi. So I'm assuming that's DoA.

Wrath of Khan is going to win any versus. We need a Wrath of Khan solo episode to answer the question: does there need to be any Star Trek in the canon? (i say yes, but who knows)

I'd favor either a Wrath of Khan solo episode, or a Wrath of Khan versus inducting the entire II-III-IV trilogy. (Maybe we can go back and do an episode on whether or not Empire and Jedi jointly deserve to be placed in the Canon by the same logic?)