🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Shrek & Donkey Kong

Suggestion: The Night of the Hunter

It can be the 2010 True Grit vs. Night of the Hunter in a "Who best uses 'Leaning on the Everlasting Arms?' match."

• Like 1

I have such mixed feelings about this. The shot where Harry Powell arrives at the house at night near the lamp post with the kids watching is AMAZING and I fell like Friedkin had to be thinking of this with that iconic shot in THE EXORCIST (by the way do the exorcist). However I feel like after the kids escape and go down to river and end up at Rachel Coopers house the whole thing tends to drag. I like everything up until this moment then it falls flat. I know - bold statement.

I really like that film. I think some of the most poetic shots ever put on film come when the kids are floating on the boat down the stream. great stuff.

• Like 1

Oh I love this movie. I have people over for a weekly movie night and showed this recently. I was surprised a couple people didn't like it. They couldn't seem to get over it not being realistic. It's a fairy tale with elements of German expressionism. It's supposed to look that way. But maybe since there are some who don't get it, it might make a good Canon pick.

Oh I love this movie. I have people over for a weekly movie night and showed this recently. I was surprised a couple people didn't like it. They couldn't seem to get over it not being realistic. It's a fairy tale with elements of German expressionism. It's supposed to look that way. But maybe since there are some who don't get it, it might make a good Canon pick.

It's definitely weird in a lot of ways. I showed it to my wife and she wasn't a fan.

It's a crime movie... then it's a horror film... then it's a film noir... then it's a kids adventure movie...

It's so nutty and twisty and it yet it absolutely nails every beat. Plus Mitchum delivers one of the all-time great villain performances. I'd love to hear Amy and Devin discuss this one.

• Like 1

Plus Mitchum delivers one of the all-time great villain performances.

What do you think of Lilian Gish? I thought she was just as terrific. The way she speaks these lines always make me remember how freakin short our life really can be.

I'll never get over the fact that the Charles Laughton who directed this film is the same person parodied with the king character in the old Bugs Bunny cartoon "Shishkebugs". It's the one where Yosemite Sam is (somewhat inexplicably) the king's chef, and needs a rabbit to prepare hasenpfeffer.

BvyBfGo.jpg

It's apparently referencing a notable stage performance by him as King Henry VIII.

p.s., Night of the Hunter has one of my favorite images in cinema ever, when Shelly Winters is shown resting at the bottom of the river. It's absolutely haunting.

thenight.jpg

• Like 1

It's incredible that Charles Laughton only directed one movie. I guess it didn't do well originally. I just wish we could have seen more from him.

Sign in to follow this