🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bri-witched

Spirited Away

I know Devin has said he hates all anime (not a totally unfair position) but c'mon. It's not at all fair to lump someone like Miyazaki in with stuff dudes with body pillows jerk off to. Spirited Away's visually stunning and overall a masterpiece. Miyazaki definitely deserves a spot in the canon (I'd also argue heavily for Satoshi Kon too, but more down the line).

• Like 1

Far and away more of a fan of Isao Takahata--because, in five films, he explores more with film craft and animation than Miyazaki attempted in more than twice as many--but Ghibli deserves a place in the canon. Princess Mononoke, Grave of the Fireflies, Only Yesterday, My Neighbor Totoro (which I really, really don't like,) and Spirited Away are all worthy of discussion. Satoshi Kon is another absolute maverick. His films are so kinetic and absorbing. There's actually an excellent episode of Every Frame a Painting about Kon, and particularly why his editing only works with animation. If we believe in a canon that has room for The Birth of a Nation, Triumph of the Will, and Battleship Potemkin, we can make room for one or two Japanese cartoons. IF WE CAN MAKE ROOM FOR THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW, WE CAN MAKE ROOM FOR PORCO ROSSO!!!

Sign in to follow this