Johnny Unusual

Comic Books

At Caroline's suggestion, I started a comic book thread. What's everyone reading these days? I'm really into Jonah Hex these days (and don't talk to me about that terrible movie. Josh Brolin was a perfect choice, why did you waste him on a script for Wild Wild West 2?), largely because the character isn't a hero and is often quite selfish. Sometimes he does do something noble but other issues will have him do some nasty things for bad reason, or ignore the suffering of good people cause "it's not my problem."

Personally, I'm shocked at how quickly Scott Auckerman will pull out a perfect comic reference where you wouldn't think it would apply, until it does. The man seems to know his stuff.

• Like 6

At my "financial adviser" s advice, I've cut it down to 3 a month (plus a boatload of trades).
-Birds of Prey
-Secret Six
-Chew

I think once all this Flashpoint stuff happens I'll abandon Birds (BECAUSE IT'S NOT EVEN BIRDS ANYMORE! POISON IVY IS A PLANT, NOT A BIRD!) and pick up Firestorm, Batgirl (at least to try it out), and maybe some Catwoman. I'll never stop reading Secret Six. That's my jam.

Can anyone help me get into Marvel? I've only ever read non-Marvel (DC, Wildstorm, indies) but I'm sure I would enjoy it. I've heard Uncanny X-Men is good, but I need a specific author or trade to start with. Any suggestions?

I've heard that X-Men is good these days, but it doesn't look like there's a convenient place to start these days. To many titles that tie into each other. I recommend Spider-Man. It's recently be retconned, and although the retcon story is pretty bad (not worth the time), the ones that follow are generally really good. If you go for trades, my suggestion is to start with Brand New Day. I think that the method they did for the first couple years was pretty cool: cancel the other Spider-Man titles except for Amazing Spider-Man, then release Amazing Spidey three times a month with a braintrust of writers. It really worked well. At this point, it's gone to two times a month with one writer, but the one writer is really good: Dan Slott. He also did the completely awesome Arkham Asylum: Living Hell, which I recommend. They really brought back both the fun and accessablity to Spidey.

Though the series is over now, I also recommend the Immortal Iron Fist (specifically, the first three trades, though the ones that follow are OK), which takes one of Marvel's B-List characters and makes him very cool.

Though I haven't read them myself, I've also heard good things about Captain America (which is about to have a new #1 with the same writer), FF (the Fantastic Four series, which isn't actually Fantastic Four) and New Avengers.

If you are looking for some great stories in trade, I recommend New X-Men by Grant Morrison, Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon and John Cassidy, Planet Hulk (and after that World War Hulk) and Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis (which feels a little less like a traditional hero book and more like a mix of legal thriller and noir, but with martial arts mixed in).

I love pretty much everything Robert Kirkman puts out. Walking Dead and Invincible are amazing. A lot of Image stuff is awesome too. I'll join in in saying how great Chew is. I'm also pretty big on Vertigo stuff. Preacher is my all time favorite comic. Sweet Tooth and Scalped are a couple other good ones. The only Marvel stuff I can get into is Punisher Max, mostly because Garth Ennis is a fantastic writer. I tried to get into DC stuff with the Morrison run on Batman. While I really liked it, I don't like having to read multiple series to get the whole story. It blows everything he's built up is probably going to go away. I also really prefer Batman in a world without other super heroes. That's another reason Punisher Max is so great. It's basically just what if the Punisher was a real dude that just murders criminals all day.

I'm behind on my Kirkman but I do enjoy his two big series. As for Vertigo, 100 Bullets is one of my all time favourite series. It's one of those series that took up an obscene amount of real estate in my head for a while, just trying to figure out what's happening and where it's going.

I also recommend the works of Naoki Urasawa, and his manga series Monster and 20th Century Boys (Yes, it's named after the T.Rex song). It's a manga I would recommend to people who don't like manga: epic thrillers with a strong focus on characters. In fact, it almost feels like the epic stories are excuses to tell smaller stories within that world, but they generally tie into the big picture pretty well.

Anything by Ed Brubaker is awesome! Criminal is my favourite.

Picked up the final volume of Runaways today (I hope it comes back with a strong creative team. I think Jane Espenson (who wrote for Buffy and Angel) would make an excellent choice for writer. Terry Moore's run was surprisingly disappointing. I also have volume 11 of Invincible, which I haven't read in a while.

I really enjoy anything Kirkman makes, especially Walking Dead. The comic I bought last was Nemesis, who knew evil Batman was such an awesome concept?

Yall....Secret Six got axed by DC. If anyone would like to cry with me, feel free. MISS YOU ALREADY RAGDOLL!

"See... I knew you were a funny clown."

I haven't read a lot of Gail Simone books, but I always liked what I've read, and Parademon's death scene in Villains United is both a very funny and sad moment. Hopefully, the Six will still be around as guest stars in Gail's other works.

BTW, here's the full reboot list.

1. Justice League Geoff Johns & Jim Lee
This seems so natural that it almost goes past being a good idea right back to not being interesting becase it's so on the nose. But then again, maybe I'm just being difficult. That said, it'll be nice to have new blood bring the team to it's roots after years of forgettable stories by usually talented creators.

2. Wonder Woman Brian Azzarello & Cliff Chiang
Wow. Did not see that coming. This is going to be a wait and see thing, dependent on how the writer known mostly for crime fiction approaches it

3. Aquaman Geoff Johns & Ivan Reis
I'm really excited about this one. So many people seem to insist on trying to make Aquaman cool with high concept ideas or new attitudes, and that's not necessarily a bad approach, but I think we've all forgotten why Aquaman was ever popular. He's kind of a joke, and I bet Johns can breathe some like into him. I might even pick up the first issue.

4. The Flash Francis Manapul & Brian Buccallato
Maybe it's an unfair prejudice, but unless they've proven themselves as scribes already, I'm always uninterested in artists becoming writers. I know I should know better, but I'm afraid it's true.

5. The Fury of Firestorm Gail Simone, Ethan Van Sciver & Yildiray Cinar
Simone and Van Sciver are a team I wasn't expecting. And it looks like it will involve multiple Firestorms. This could be confusing good fun.

6. Green Arrow J.T. Krul & Dan Jurgens
JT Krul... fraid I know nothing about him...

7. Justice League International Dan Jurgens & Aaron Lopresti
Mmm... I dunno Dan Jurgens can be hit and miss (though sadly, sometimes people ignore him when he's a hit).

8. Mister Terrific Eric Wallace & Robert Robinson
I think the character is strong enough for his own series, but I'm afraid I know nothing about the creators.

9. Captain Atom J.T. Krul & Freddie Williams III
Mmmm... can't build much interest in this one.

10. DC Universe Presents Rotating Teams
I love anthologies and opportunities to explore C-list characters. I would love to see a Prez, First Teenage President mini.

11. The Savage Hawkman Tony Daniel & Philip Tan
I lik Hawkman, but I was hoping that if they were going to give him a series, it would be Hawkman & Hawkgirl and focus on the idea of love, reincarnation and the idea that maybe these people move on... But I suppose I should condemn the book for what it isn't, but I do like Hawkman when he's all barbarian like.

12. Green Lantern Geoff Johns & Doug Mahnke
13. Green Lantern Corps Peter Tomasi, Fernando Pasarin & Scott Hanna
Looks like business as usual for these books. Not a bad thing, per se.
14. Green Lantern: The New Guardians Tony Bedard, Tyler Kirkham & Batt
Too Many Green Lantern books.

15. Red Lanterns Peter Milligan, Ed Benes & Rob Hunter
I like Peter Milligan with certain projects (X-Statix, Shade, Human Target), but when his book is firmly in a continuity, results are bad to middling (Elektra, X-Men, JLA: Kid Amazo)

16. Batman Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo
Could be good. Not much to say.

17. Detective Comics Tony Daniel
Uh... I haven't read Daniel's stuff. Is it any good?

18. Batman & Robin Peter Tomasi & Patrick Gleeson
Let's keep the number of Bat-Books down, huh?

19. Batman: The Dark Knight David Finch & Jay Fabok
Too many Bat-books. Not knocking the creative team, but this seems unnecessary. Has anyone read Finch's Batman? Is it any good?

20. Batwoman J.H. Williams III, Haden Blackman & Amy Reeder
Haven't been reading it before, but I love JHW III as an artist.

21. Batgirl Gail Simone, Ardian Syaf & Vicente Cifuentes
Great team, but this one... More interesting than exciting. To me, anyway.

22. Birds of Prey Duane Swierczynski & Jesus Saiz
This seems like the wrong creative team for this book. Swierczynski was OK finishing up Iron Fist, but he never really wowed me.

23. Catwoman Judd Winick & Guillem March
No thanks.

24. Nightwing Kyle Higgins & Eddy Barrows
Don't really know that creative team. I liked Dick as Batman, but maybe this will have merit, as long as it's a step forward, not backwards.
25. Red Hood and The Outlaws Scott Lobdell & Kenneth Rocafort
I really don't care for Jason Todd stuff. I liked Grant's take in Batman & Robin, but that was less anti-hero, more villain who will only kill villains. The approach of having him resemble a more classic Batman villain was more interesting to me.

26. Batwing Judd Winick & Ben Oliver
Never cared for Winick. Not but, just not interesting.

27. Swamp Thing Scott Snyder, Yanick Paquette & Francesco Francavilla
The creative team is interesting, but only from what I hear second hand. Still, Swamp Thing is the DCU proper is interesting (especially since Karen Berger seemed interested in keeping him and John Constatine out of the DCU altogether).
28. Animal Man Jeff Lemire, Travel Foreman & Dan Green
I have no idea what to expect, but I like Lemire and I have a feeling that he knows where he wants to go. I usually only get trades these days with rare exceptions (the last time was a Godzilla book for charity), but I might pick the first issue up to support it and out of curiousity.

29. Justice League Dark Peter Milligan & Mikel Janin
Hmm... Peter Milligan books can be really bad from time to time. His best stuff is when it feels like he has a lot of control and some of his weaker works involve bigger universe adventures. Could be good if it has a mix of Vertigo sensibilities (re: late 80's) and tongue and check fun.

30. Demon Knights Paul Cornell, Diogenes Neves & Oclair Albert
Not excited, but I do hope this makes the Demon cool again. I like the character, but he's been aimless for a wile, from what I've seen.

31. Frankenstein, Agent of SHADE Jeff Lemire & Alberto Ponticelli
Ooh, this looks good. Out of all the characters Grant Morrison breathed life into, this seemed most like the one where any writer could pick it up an have fun with it. The original (part of the 7 Soldiers of Victory series) was a prefect mix of quirky fun and unsettling horror (sometimes at the same time).

32. Resurrection Man Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning & Fernando Dagnino
I never read the original series, but it's neat that this minor cult book is getting a second chance.

33. I, Vampire Josh Fialkov & Andrea Sorrentino
I'm always in favour of bringing back obscure characters, but I have a feeling that this one might be a bit of a bore. Still, I might be pleasently surprised.
34. Voodoo Ron Marz & Sami Basri
No thanks.

35. Legion Lost Fabian Nicieza & Pete Woods
Eh, could go either way. Nicieza is a journeyman, which isn't bad, but his work can range from really fun to workmanlike (not bad, but rather forgettable) with the occasional awful (but I think we can rule out an NFL SuperPro reboot.)
36. Legion of Superheroes Paul Levitz & Francis Portela
I've heard good things about the Levitz run, but I'm out of the loop.

37. Teen Titans Scott Lobdell, Brett Booth, & Norm Rapmund
I don't like to judge books by their cover... but that's an ugly looking cover.

38. Static Shock John Rozum, Scott McDaniel & Jonathan Glapion
Don't know enough about this one to comment.

39. Hawk & Dove Sterling Gates & Rob Liefeld
I've heard positive things about Gates. That doesn't make Liefeld's art any better. It's like he's the one guy who drew an Alan Moore script and remained immune to getting any better at his craft.

40. Stormwatch Paul Cornell & Miguel Sepulveda
Despite Paul Cornell being involved, I'm not that interested.

41. Blackhawks Mike Costa & Ken Lashley
Not familiar with the creative team.
42. Sgt. Rock and the Men of War Ivan Brandon & Tom Derenick
I like that DC is putting out genre work beyond the super-hero stuff. Hope that this series becomes the next Jonah Hex (comic, not movie).

43. All-Star Western Jimmy Palmiotti, Justin Gray & Moritat
Yay, Jonah Hex, survived after a fashion. Plus some other western characters in back up stories. I hope Sergio Aragones returns to Bat Lash.

44. Deathstroke Kyle Higgins, Joe Bennett, & Art Thibert
Not all that familiar with the creative team, so remains to be scene.

45. Grifter Nathan Edmundson, Cafu, & Bit
Not all that interested in Wildstorm stuff.

46. Omac Dan DiDio, Keith Giffen, & Scott Koblish
I have a confession: I'm a Kirby poseur. I love homages to his work and all his series sound great, but with one or two exceptions, I don't think I've read his stuff. Still, an old school OMAC book looks promising.

47. Blue Beetle Tony Bedard, Ig Guara & Ruy Jose
No opinion.

48. Suicide Squad Adam Glass & Marco Rudy
Hmm... no opinion again.

49. Action Comics Grant Morrison, Rags Morales
YAY! I love Grant. Rags is OK, but most writers who work with Grant get to stretch their creative muscle, so we'll see.

50. Superman (Man of Tomorrow) George Perez, Jesus Merino
I like George's art, but not all that interested in his writing.

51. Superboy Scott Lobdell, RB Silva, Rob Lean
Could be good. Not my favourite writer (sort of a journeyman), but he's done some great stuff before.

52. Supergirl Michael Green, Mike Johnson, Mahmud Asrar
Uh... no thanks.

Oh look, over 100 writers, pencilers, and inkers and TWO of them are women. Great. Awesome. Good deal.
I'll be reading Batgirl, Batwoman, MAAAAYBE Catwoman (Guillem is one of my favorite artists), Fury of Firestorm (Firestorm was one of the only interesting parts of Brightest Day to me), Nightwing (Dick Grayson is great), and maybe Hawk & Dove.

I'm so mad about loosing Secret Six. That book is my jam.

Agreed completely with Stefan. Spider-Man has been amazing (hurr hurr) since Dan Slott took over writing duties, and it's the book I look forward to the most when I stop into my shop.

I like to recommend anything by Ed Brubaker, but most recently he and Sean Phillips' Criminal has a new story arc out and it's shaping up to be good so far. The other volumes are collected in trades, and I urge anyone who's into detective stories/noir/interconnected stories to give them a shot.

indie stuff is where it's at. jeffrey brown, craig thompson, chris ware, adrian tomine, charles burns, chester brown, joe matt, daniel clowes, basically anything published by top shelf, drawn & quarterly, or fantagraphics.

Just re-read Hard Boiled. Great art, insane story. Great old school Dark Horse book.

Eddie, have you read anything by Jason. He's a Norwegian cartoonist with a tremendous talent. I highly recommend the funny and sentimental SSSSSHHHH!, as well as I Killed Adolf Hitler, which has funny moments, but might not be the genre you think it is. Don't put off by the fact that they look like funny animal books: they tend to mess with genre expectations, if just a little.

I LOVE comics! I'm a weekly comic shopper. Glad there is a thread and I will frequent here. First, Brian K. Vaughan is my favorite writer. Y: The Last Man is, in my opinion, the best thing ever written. I love Ex Machina, as well, and I still need to get his Runaways.

As far as the DC Reboot goes, I'm just looking for good stories. I'll probably follow my favorite writers and artist to their new books. Supergirl is really the only character that I will read regardless of not knowing the writer's previous work. Sterling Gates made me like her as a character.

Caroline- Have you ever read any of Greg Rucka's work? Similarly to Bendis, he's awesome writer who creates kick-ass women characters. I love him. Queen and Country is an awesome spy series he's written. It's all out in thick inexpensive trades so you should check it out.

Johnny- Scott Snyder on Batman is a good thing. He's an awesome writer and is doing great work with Detective at the moment. Though, he hasn't written Bruce Batman I think it'll be great. Anyone who wants to get into Batman, be sure to pick up Batman #1 when the reboot starts. Snyder also writes American Vampire at Vertigo. I'm not a vampire or horror fan but I do like American Vampire.

Criminal series are really good; finished the Incognito run not to long ago.
Yep, can't go wrong with BKV.

Hands down, best writing, Garth Ennis.... Read Preacher!!!!

Other Favs:
100 Bullets
Sandman

Currently reading:
The Walking Dead
Scalped (fucking awesome)
Punisher MAX
Unwritten
Invincible
The Boys
Northlanders

Oh man, I'm totally ready to get into Scalped. Know the series is almost over, so I'm waiting for it all to be out in trades first. I'm reading Jason Aaron's Wolverine and I read his Astonishing Spiderman/Wolverine, both were/are awesome. I haven't read any Preacher, but I hear it's amazing. Every time I pick it up in the bookstore and thumb through it, the art dissuades me. I'm sure if I gave it a chance I'd enjoy it.

Dude, the art is the best! Steve Dillon is the man.... he's currently doing the Punisher MAX with Jason Aaron.

Criminal series are really good; finished the Incognito run not to long ago.
Yep, can't go wrong with BKV.

I suppose you can't, but those are both Ed Brubaker series.

Haven't read any Criminal, but I've read Incognito, currently reading his new Incognito arc, and Captain America. Brubaker's pretty good at what he does. He also wrote Gotham Central with Greg Rucka, which I really want to read.

I'm with Eddie on this one. I'll read some select Big Two titles like 'FF' and 'Batman, Inc.', but for my money nothing beats the indie books like 'Atomic Robo', 'Skullkickers', 'Hector Plasm', 'Invincible' etc.. I could keep going for a while on the indie stuff I really dig. :)

I love indie for my adult side. Asterios Polyp really gets me going, but reading a good superhero comic makes me feel giddy. Few things put a smile on my face like watching Superman jack Brainiac in the face. Unfortunately, Superman hasn't been doing much lately. All-Star Superman is a great Superman story, though.

Grant Morrison is going to be writing Action Comics for the upcoming, controversial DC reboot, so I have high hopes for that. If you enjoyed All Star Superman, I recommend (from the same writer) Seaguy, one of my all time favs. It's incredibly weird and funny, but at the same time dark, sad and creepy. The first mini-series is in trade and the second one (Seaguy: the Slaves of Mickey Eye) hasn't gotten one yet, I don't think. The final volume (Seaguy Eternal) has yet to come out, but it's promised to Grant Morrison because he did 52.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/514S6386G7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I finally got to Dan Clowes' Wilson last week. It came out last year. Can't highly recommend it enough. It will appeal to the comedic sensibilities of Earwolf listeners.

Also, read Chester Brown's Paying for It. Can't recommend it as a good book but what is says about the author I find very interesting and has stuck with me for some time.