🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

It had a documentary entitled "Best/Worst Movie" directed by the child star of this confusing cult classic. Endless fodder for Paul, June, Jason and guest.

• Like 3

Yup. I know they initially said they'd try to stay away from the overdone ones, but you can't do The Room and not do Troll 2.
NOW!

• Like 1

Troll 2 was just put on Netflix instant recently. It has a huge reputation as being the "best" bad movie in existence. It really does live up to it's reputation though. Nothing in this movie makes any sense. Judging by how entertaining it is for my friends and I to attempt analyzing this film, I can only imagine how much fun it will be to hear you guys break it down.

The other night I watched "Best Worst Movie" which is a documentary about this film made by the actors in the film, very enlightening and entertaining. The dentist who plays the dad is pretty entertaining although gets a bit negative at one point when people don't respond to him the way he expected they would. The director seems to be bitter that he made one of the worst movies ever and seems to miss the point of the camp fans appreciation of the film. It's funny to see how some people embrace the film's fame for the wrong reason and how others who will take any fame that comes along but clearly had hoped to achieve a different kind of fame.

"Best Worst Movie" is pretty great. I got it from Netflix a while back and ended up buying it later on. The director, who also brought us such masterpieces as "Monster Dog" with Alice Cooper, is COMPLETELY delusional. What's funny is that I had recently watched the "Nightmare on Elm Street" series documentary "Never Sleep Again", which had people saying stuff like "Oh, it was great, and it helped me out so much!", and then you see some of those same people in the convention scenes in "Best Worst Movie", and they looked pretty miserable. It didn't help that the Troll dad was kind of ripping on them, but I think he was able to see it more for what it was, because he had a successful career outside of the movie stuff. You could see that the Elm Street people kind of wanted to just let him have it, but there was probably a bit of truth to what he was saying, in a roundabout sort of way.

"Best Worst Movie" made me so sad that I now have no desire to watch Troll 2. The scene in the documentary where the "kid" and the dentist "dad" went to ask the actress who played the mom to come to the screening, but she's just so mentally deteriorated and sad and the "kid" is clearly holding back tears just trying to speak to her... I had to turn it off for a few minutes and have a good cry.

• Like 2

I didn't get the impression that she was mentally ill so much as that she was in denial. I did feel bad for her though.

One thing that was clear to me was that Troll 2 essentially ruined the future acting careers of anyone involved. Those who either found another profession or embraced the camp seemed to be a lot happier than those who denied it.

They've done The Room, and they've done Birdemic which means they have to do Troll 2. They just have to.

And I do think it would be interesting to get Michael Stephenson(star of the film, director of Best Worst Movie) to guest. Maybe this should be the next live show...

• Like 1

I think if they do it, they need an approach like with The Room and interview one of the actors.

If they bring in the kid from the movie and the guy that played the dad it would work. They're very good sports about the whole thing if you've seen the documentary.

NECROPOSTING

This one is done. It's been covered enough by many others in podcasts and commentaries and etc. There's a documentary about how bad/good it is, available on Netflix -- which has probably been seen by more people than have actually watched the film itself. There's an excellent Rifftrax for it, although this stupid fucking movie doesn't even need it.

I don't mean to say that anyone shouldn't watch it, as it definitely deserves its place on the Hollywood Toilet of Fun Crap, but there's not much to say anymore.

Except maybe, "OH MY GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWD".

There's another thread for this, but it may not have shown up in your searches. The team should pass on this, it's been so overly done it's not worth their time. I actually just watched the Best Worst Movie the other day (the behind the scenes doc on Netflix Instant)

Dubbed, "The Best Worst Movie", this horrible film is right up there with The Room.

• Bad actors? CHECK!
  • Bad script? CHECK!
  • Horrible production value? CHECK!
  • Questionable director? CHECK!
  • Awful special effects? CHECK!
  • No connection to the original Troll movie? CHECK!
  • No trolls at all, only goblins? CHECK!

This movie is so bad, it HAS to be seen.

The trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KCct4RwLNM

• Like 1

I think the fact that this movie has its own (great) documentary dedicated to it, its badness, and its strange cultural significance means that it is already well-trodden territory. However, if you are a fan of this podcast and have not seen this movie, WHAT ARE YOU DOING? Why are you reading this inane post? Watch Troll 2!

That's strange, it seems like this was already HDTGMed. As other's have pointed out, there is already a documentary about this film and a pretty great rifftrax of it. The HDTGM question has already been answered and it has been riffed and comically derided in many formats before and since.

It did make me remember a film I watched several times as a kid: Troll. If I'm not mistaken, it is possibly the film to which this film is related by title alone? It also kinda has the Troll 2 issue of not really having any trolls. I think there are one or two Goony knock-offs, a closet door to Crappier Narnia, and the primary antagonist is a brisk wind...or something. I was 6 or 7 at the time, but I'm pretty sure this is a spot on synopsis.

I'm watching Best Worst Movie right now, and had no idea about the UCB connection. I was blown away when Gemberling showed up on screen.

Sign in to follow this