🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
nickperkins

Homework: Boyz n the Hood (1991)

First time in a while I'm going in as a definitive no. When I first watched this movie a year ago, I could not believe how amateur and cheesy it was

• Like 1

I've had this on my "To Watch" list forever, so I guess I need to finally make time for it.

I haven't watched this one except for some parts when we tackeled gentrification in geography class. Can't wait to watch it!

It's going to be hard for me to rewatch this without thinking of Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood.

I wonder if Singleton's post-Boyz n the Hood work tarnishes it in hindsight. Not that it was all bad - I feel Rosewood and Baby Boy are good, though maybe not great (and arguably better than this movie). And Shaft was at least fun... mostly due to bonkers Jeffrey Wright (he steals so many scenes by the end he's stolen the whole movie, to its overall detriment sadly, but damn he's fun to watch).

But everyone, maybe unfairly, expected such big things from him at the time; instead he turned out to be 'just' a solid director.

Figured they must have been doing this when Devin was tweeting about it the other week. I haven't watched it since the mid-90's so I'll have to try and get a viewing in but based on his tweets he will be skewering it for an hour and talking about how amateur it is.

This will be a weird post.

Boyz n the Hood is my 2nd favorite movie of 1991, only behind Slacker.

That's just from me looking at a list of 1991 movies, and I haven't seen Boyz in at least 8 years.

Sign in to follow this