đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
sarahride

The Crow: Wicked Prayer (2005)

This is the first movie that came to my mind when I've heard of this podcast.

Trailer:

You have Danny Trejo sporting decent sized manboobs and dancing for way too long, Tara Reid is the lead female villian, Edward Furlong's terrible acting as The Crow (Also, his makeup is ridiculous), and Dennis Hopper's dialogue make this worth a watch alone.

Remember when my friend first watched this, he expected it to be a return to the original darker Crow. Then he almost cried after watching it :P

The one before it isn't so hot either. I remember that the third one was supposed to get a theatrical release at one point, but then it just got shit out on to DVD a couple years later. While that one had SOME production value and a co-star that was about to hit it bigger (Kirsten Dunst), Wicked Prayer is practically an Asylum production by comparison.

I was a huge fan of the first Crow as a teenager, and the character was a musician, so it made sense that he'd maybe talk the way he did, but why, in all the sequels, when the main character returns from the dead, do they start spewing shit that sounds like bad poetry or song lyrics when there was NOTHING about their characters before that would leave you to believe that they'd act like that?

I’m so sad there was never any enthusiasm to get my favorite bad movie covered on HDTGM.  It’s the rare stinker that doesn’t flag in the third act and instead keeps getting more insane.  The cast is stacked with enough troubled actors that it’s like a rehab put on a class play.

The reason I went through the effort to make an account and find this thread is because Wicked Prayer really demands answers as to how it got made.  This masterpiece was produced by FUBU (I believe it was their only foray into moviemaking) and founder Daymond John has a cameo as the hearse driver near the end.  My friend recognized him from Shark Tank on our millionth rewatch. 

As much as I would love to get blazed, eat satanic snacks (yes, the cultists prepare for raising the devil by chowing down on deviled eggs and devil’s food cake), and take in some fine cinema, I had a baby during lockdown and can’t indulge.  HDTGM has been keeping me sane during quarantine with a baby, and I would be ecstatic if Wicked Prayer made the cut. 

Edited by no_sleep89

This one really stands out like a sore thumb in this series as if you were to ask which below mid-level actor should play the fourth version of The Crow, I would think a doughy Edward Furlong would be at the very bottom of that list. It doesn't help that with the makeup on he looks like a goth kid who is doing Crow cosplay while yelling at his mom that "this isn't a phase!" or that his name is Johnny Cuervo. Then you add on the fact that they have to kind of alter the story of what the Crow was in order to fit within the setting  of an Indian reservation and that Furlong is resurrected almost immediately after being killed to fight people named after the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, only to show they work for Dennis Hopper who I can only assume took the role to pay off alimony to any number of his ex-wives.

On 9/7/2020 at 10:48 PM, Grand Moff Talkin' said:

I like to pretend this is a flashback episode of Angel where Angelus bullied and murdered a scrawny kid and he got his comeuppance from the kid’s vengeful ghost.

Preferably a season 5 episode, so we can get Spike’s commentary on this look:

Screen+Shot+2015-11-12+at+11.15.04+AM.pn