🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
sarahride

as much as I hate Avatar I agree with you guys that they should do this movie. but then agian that would mean I would have to rewatch that movie, and that would mean time lost from my life, I could never get back. Life is too short for Avatar...LOL

• Like 1

as much as I hate Avatar I agree with you guys that they should do this movie. but then agian that would mean I would have to rewatch that movie, and that would mean time lost from my life, I could never get back. Life is too short for Avatar...LOL

Honestly, this would be my biggest objection to it. This movie is 3 effin' hours long.

The thought of Jason's mind exploding when discussing the sex scene is reason #1 for me. A close second though, is the anticipation of the line "they spent a billion dollars on insanely awesome cgi for a story revolving around the mining of something called unobtainium?"

Yyyyeeaaah. This is one of those movies where it's not so much that I hate the movie, but just that I'm baffled at how crazy people are for it. I had a bunch of friends who kept referring to it as a "game changer" and treating it like one of the greatest films of all time and the best movie of the year, and I was like... what? The only thing it has going for it is the CGI, that's it, it's not remarkable in any other way.

I kind of get it. Cameron did create a very visceral and beautiful world and I think people get wrapped up in it and the story is merely a byproduct of of the world. Add 3D and it's even easier to get wrapped up in the world. However, I thought that it's a sloppily made world. They use bows and arrows that are exactly the same as our bows and arrows, including giant feathers, except that not a single animal on Pandora has any inkling of anything other than skin except for the Na'vi and they have dreadlocks. Plus why does every animal have 6 limbs except for the Na'vi? Every animal is an adaptation of something from earth with blue skin and two extra limbs, which is lazy and uncreative, and then that principle is altered slightly for the anthropomorphic creatures that we're supposed to sympathize with more than our own species.

The thought of Jason's mind exploding when discussing the sex scene is reason #1 for me. A close second though, is the anticipation of the line "they spent a billion dollars on insanely awesome cgi for a story revolving around the mining of something called unobtainium?"

I remember thinking that too. I didn't find out til after the movie that unobtainium is actually a word used in science. Before knowing that I wondered how they could be so unoriginal. I remember thinking "I guess cantfuckingfinditanywhereium was just slightly too long to go with"

I remember thinking that too. I didn't find out til after the movie that unobtainium is actually a word used in science. Before knowing that I wondered how they could be so unoriginal. I remember thinking "I guess cantfuckingfinditanywhereium was just slightly too long to go with"

It's basically like calling the MacGuffin 'The MacGuffin'.

...the story is merely a byproduct of of the world.

Good point. The plot is there purely as a method to showcase each new video game level. This movie was basically a fucking Playstation game, like here's a cutscene, a jungle level, cutscene, boss, mine cart stage, boss, etc etc.

It's basically like calling the MacGuffin 'The MacGuffin'.

Yeah, that usage totally struck me as weird because the word "unobtainium" was in use before this movie. I've heard professors jokingly say it, I've heard a guy at a guitar shop say it. It just seemed so, I don't know, like a placeholder they meant to change later. It just sticks out so much.

And I'll admit that I was totally floored by this when I first saw it. I hadn't seen good 3D and it was like tripping balls. I was telling people HOLY FUCK AMAZING. Then I went a second time with my brother; he was all "what is this nonsense" and I was all "shit, I guess you're right".

FYI: Mantzoukas was on the Team Coco podcast today, and said that they watched Avatar with the intent of doing an HDTGM episode about it, but they found it so boring that no comedy would arise from discussing it. Sounds like this episode will never happen.

• Like 3

FYI: Mantzoukas was on the Team Coco podcast today, and said that they watched Avatar with the intent of doing an HDTGM episode about it, but they found it so boring that no comedy would arise from discussing it. Sounds like this episode will never happen.

FOR SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, no. They must revisit this. "The only movie so bad, we gave up a half hour into our first attempt at watching it..."

This piece of shit was nominated for best picture, whatever weight that still carries, and it barely lost. A lot of experts were picking it to win and the people who made it sat in their tuxedos and gowns and sweated it out until the last moment, thinking they had a real shot at it, and they probably did.

I'd like to see them do this, and I'd like to see them do "Crash", which actually won Best Picture. I know that's not what the show normally does. I want a steady diet of Gooby's and "Mac and Me's" 99 percent of the time, but there are a handful of really bad, problematic films that have been nominated for best picture.

Scott Aukerman himself wrote a great review of it not long after it came out: http://scottaukerman...a-2009-american

• Like 1

That is truly a missed opportunity, although

out of it.

Sign in to follow this