🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Llewellyn_Wells

The Yellow Scarf

I've got a hazy memory; what is the yellow scarf referring to? I know what it represents, I just mean, what film/episode did this originate from.

Thanks!

It's a callback to a criticism made by the (sound guy? producer? I don't really know what his position is.) made. i don't have the exact quote. but it was something to the effect that 'Amy often dislikes movies for stupid reasons. She'll be like ' I don't like the color of that woman's scarf' and she'll let it color her whole experience.' The critique originally was spoken off air and Devin had him repeat it for the listeners. It does not reference any particular film.

Personally, i find this criticism to be dismissive, vaguely sexist, and willfully ignorant of the way that examples work.

• Like 4

Personally, i find this criticism to be dismissive, vaguely sexist, and willfully ignorant of the way that examples work.

agreed. it's an easy way to write off what Amy is saying.

agreed. it's an easy way to write off what Amy is saying.

I mean it was also a joke that they both found funny.

How is it sexist?

How is it sexist?

I don't quite know, but I'm assuming maybe the dismissal of a criticism ties into the idea of mansplaining and the stereotype of women being fickle might come into it. +The connection of scarves to women cause fashion or whatever.

The quote above mentioned it was vaguely sexist, so it's not quite- but it kind of re-enforces gender stereotypes however minute.

I don't quite know, but I'm assuming maybe the dismissal of a criticism ties into the idea of mansplaining and the stereotype of women being fickle might come into it. +The connection of scarves to women cause fashion or whatever.

The quote above mentioned it was vaguely sexist, so it's not quite- but it kind of re-enforces gender stereotypes however minute.

That misses the point at what the yellow scarf is a dig at. It's not meant to be a commentary on Amy's vapidness. More that she dismisses movies based on smaller details that she feels hold no deeper meaning. In the Se7en episode for example, she complained that there wasn't more to the aspirin bottles being in John Doe's apartment than set design, and Devin made the yellow scarf callback.

It's more Amy specific than gender specific.

it's the kind of thing that irks me, even if I can't pin down why. It's like people throw the SJW moniker on people or or claim to be tired of outrage culture. It's an easy way to shut someone down with a blanket label and tie a concern to a habit, rather than actal merit. And rarely does this thing happen to men.

In general I do think Amy can be too nitpicky, I find the idea of two men using "yellow scarf" as a cute little joke icky.

"where does a mansplainer get his water?"

"from a well, actually..."

So, here's what I meant. Before the session I was saying/teasing Amy & Devin about trends I've noticed within them both, after sitting in with them for so long. There was a lot of them, and it was all in good fun.

The thing to remember is that as an engineer, when they throw to you on mic its unexpected and you've only got a few seconds to spit your thoughts out before the listener goes "alright, back to the people who we want to hear". So often your thoughts come out as "uhhh...ahh...garble garble garble". Then you listen back later and think "what the fuck did I even say there".

The one that stood out for Devin was his inability to see a minor flaw in something he likes, if he likes it it's "THIS IS BULLET PROOF".

The one I attempted to explain for Amy was how her brain scans a scene so thoroughly on screen, she notices a lot of minor details, and then can often get taken out of the movie experience by something very minor. It was Amy specific.

Using a clothing specific item to get taken out of the air wasn't a solid choice considering how over time it's become a seemingly gender specific insult, as if I said "yeah, Amy doesn't like a movie if the lead actress's hair isn't perfect" or something like that, or something like "Amy can't appreciate a movie if there's a minor flaw".

Devin has the used the phrase out of context a few times on the show, so I understand the point of the original post, and I could absolutely see someone coming into the show as a new listener feeling a bit off. I could also absolutely see the unsettling feeling of seemingly having two men quickly dismiss a woman's opinion implying it isn't valid because she only cares about superficial things.

So, I hope that helps. And FYI, I almost always side with Amy during these discussions, it's just Devin's more apt to throw me on mic.

THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME MANSPLAIN WHY I'M A GOOD WHITE MALE AGE 18-40.

- Sam

• Like 6

Thanks, Sam! I remember it all now. Some interesting discussion caused from my lack of remembering where the term came from (I thought it was a yellow scarf FROM a film they covered, but I do remember you being on mic). Thank you for coming on the board. I hope you know my intention was to just remember where the term came from, and not debate the merits of the term or cast an aspersions.

The sexism comes in when it's used to dismiss her as being petty and focusing on small details. This is a common thing aimed at women, the idea that they are fickle and allow their judgement to be clouded by emotional reaction.

I don't think it was sexist in its original context, but the way Devin uses it to dismiss her arguments kind of goes there sometimes. It was funny at the time and there was a lot of truth to it, but I don't want to see it coming back every time their arguments get heated.

Sign in to follow this