🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
samhainous

Maximum Overdrive

Worth it alone for the killer soda machine that murders people by shooting cans at a Little League game. Also has some great, 'Noooooooooooo!'s.

• Like 2

It makes sense on cocaine.

Must be why Stephen King directed high on cocaine.

LOVE the AC/DC score. You can see the whole movie on YouTube, btw.

Tiny amounts of digging turn up great stuff here! From Wikipedia:

"The "Dixie Boy"
was a full-scale set constructed ten miles west of
, on US Highway 74/76. The exact location was just outside of
. It was convincing enough that several
tried to stop in and eat there, and some tried to refuel. Eventually the producers had to put up several signs informing the truckers the set was fake and not a real truck stop. The producers also put announcements in local papers saying that the "Dixie Boy" was just a movie set.
After filming wrapped up (and the set had been partially demolished by explosives), some locals bought the set of the "Dixie Boy" and transformed it into a working truck stop. It was fully functional for three or four years, until it went
and was torn down sometime in the late 1980s. Some signposts for the Dixie Boy still remain, however."

[edit]

• Like 1

I'm still waiting for the director's cut that features the infamous but never seen exploding head scene where the kid getting crushed by a steamroller had his head explode with a giant squib when it was crushed. It had to be cut in order to get an R rating.

• Like 1

I, too, would recommend this. Both for the podcast and general viewing. One of those, so-crazy-it's-kinda-good. Come on, it's got Lisa Simpson in it as an annoying new bride and Emilio Estevez. 'Nuff said right there...

YES! I send a plea with all of my heart to the fine entertaining personalities behind HDTGM, this movie must be done. SUCH A FUN FREAKIN' WATCH! So many ridiculously classic scenes, a grind house/sci-fi/action/thriller that was required viewing for all 80's metal heads. You owe yourselves such an enjoyable watch; this may very well be the movie your podcast was made for.

I came here to post this movie. It's hypnotically bad, in every phase. Poorly acted, poorly paced, insane dialogue, and really really funny in the wrong way. Plus, Lisa Simpson is in it.

I came here to post this movie. It's hypnotically bad, in every phase. Poorly acted, poorly paced, insane dialogue, and really really funny in the wrong way. Plus, Lisa Simpson is in it.

Yeah how come her annoying ass couldn't get mowed down by the Green Goblin truck?

• Like 1

I remember seeing this and thinking to myself, this is a film you really have to like smoking pot and listening to AC/DC heavy metal music to enjoy. if you like that sorta thing then it's a great movie for you, other wise Pass.

This would be a perfect How did this get made movie for the following reasons:

1. It is funny-bad. There are lots of great scenes that are humorous for how bad they are. Example - a sentient soda machine wipes out an entire little league team during their after game celebration
  2. It was released in theaters (its not direct to dvd/netflix)
  3. It has a semi-famous C-list actor Emilio Estevez
  4. It is Stephen Kings only directorial credit and it is based on his own short story
  5. Stephen King has admitted to being coked out of his mind when making this
  6. The creepy Ice Cream truck that lures kids to their death
  7. The entire sound track was done by AC/DC
  8. The entire movie is on youtube

Please please consider this movie

• Like 3

This would be a perfect How did this get made movie for the following reasons:

1. It is funny-bad. There are lots of great scenes that are humorous for how bad they are. Example - a sentient soda machine wipes out an entire little league team during their after game celebration
  2. It was released in theaters (its not direct to dvd/netflix)
  3. It has a semi-famous C-list actor Emilio Estevez
  4. It is Stephen Kings only directorial credit and it is based on his own short story
  5. Stephen King has admitted to being coked out of his mind when making this
  6. The creepy Ice Cream truck that lures kids to their death
  7. The entire sound track was done by AC/DC
  8. The entire movie is on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgkvaKe1Wes

Please please consider this movie

What's great is that Emilio was a big star at the time when this came out as it was his first major movie after St. Elmo's Fire and The Breakfast Club, and it basically killed him as a leading man for a few years. And they did make a direct to DVD remake of the movie called Trucks and starred Timothy Busfield. King being coked off his balls was interesting as I previously mentioned the giant exploding head squib when the kid got crushed by a steamroller, King thought it was hilarious and fought hard to keep it in the movie. And that ice cream truck freaked me the hell out as a kid.

My sister had a big crush on Emilio and made it a point to watch all his movies. Enter Maxium Overdrive. Lisa Simpson asking 80's Edward Norton, "Are you dead?" The waitress, "We made you!" The list goes on and on. I heard that the steamroller/ head explosion scene was nixed after George Romero saw it and told King he had gone too far.

• Like 1

Yeah it was apparently so over the top to where it was like out of a cartoon. King had requested a whole bag of fake blood be used next to the dummy that was going to get crushed rather than a small squib pack, so when the dummy was run over it would leave a blood smear on the grass behind the steamroller. Unfortunately, the bag exploded to early and made it appear as if the head exploded. When it blew up it apparently looked like a Gallagher show.

What's funny now is that even though King stated he would never direct again, some critics have recently gone on to say that King showed he had a talent as director, even though he was coked out like Tony Montana.

• Like 1

They showed this a couple weeks ago on IFC...it is so bad its hilarious. I can just imagine Jason's head exploding like the kid under the steamroller.

• Like 1

The trailer from the previous is gone and I want to bump, so...

I imagine that he's getting more and more coked out between each take.

BTW, you know that there's a good chance a movie will be HDTGM worthy if Dino DeLaurentis put his name on it. I mean, not always, but very often.

Oh, and here's a classic...

• Like 1

This would be perfect timing with Halloween coming up.

I disagree! This was obviously meant to be a Christmas movie. :P

Any movie has to be awesome that has to have an essay explanation that sounds like it was written by a 12 year old.

Holy shit! Yes!!!

I'm 12 minutes into this movie, and I'm laughing my ass off.

Best bit is an ATM calls Steven King an Asshole.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this