🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
samhainous

Maximum Overdrive

I really do wish that they would release the unedited clip where the kid was crushed by the steamroller.

Part of what's so amazing about this movie is the explanations for what's happening get nuttier as it goes on. First, we're supposed to believe a nearby comet is somehow causing machines to come to life, but then in the end the explanation is aliens. Also, a Soviet weather satellite somehow destroys the aliens with a laser cannon and nuclear missiles. WAIT WHAT

c7r8FnP.jpg

• Like 2

I remember Emilio vaguely suggesting in the middle of the movie that the whole thing may be the start of something bigger, but everyone just dismissed it.

Having now watched this movie for a second time (!), I can say definitively that Maximum Overdrive is absolutely perfect for HDTGM. I can also say, with confidence, that any horrible film I can suggest in the future (and I'm armed with Roger Ebert's book, Your Movie Sucks) will pale in comparison to this movie.

Can I get a witness?:

* Directed and written by a coked-up Stephen King (from his story, Trucks), who also cameos at the beginning of the film!

* King's obvious distain for southern state Americans.

* That opening bridge scene is an unintentional laugh riot.

* The synth-stab soundtrack when someone is chased and killed by a semi truck, ice cream truck, curling iron, soda-can-to-groin, steamroller, etc.

* The bathroom scene. THE BATHROOM SCENE!!! Complete with sloppy, plopping-wet foley.

* A truck stop, filled with an endless supply of machine guns, and hillbillies seeminly resistant to use them.

* A shoulder-mounted rocket launcher used under-arm more than once.

* Emilio talking to the Joker truck about pumping gas as if he were a drug dealer.

* An EXTRA annoying and hectoring Yeardley Smith (the voice of Lisa Simpson) as a newlywed, constantly crowing at her semi-heroic husband.

* The ex-con fry cook contemplates that the machines taking over might be some sort of alien invasion, but everyone simply ignores him.

* The dues ex machina closing title card where we learn Russian weather satellites - armed with nuclear warheads and laser cannons (!!!) - detroyed a large orbiting UFO. Oh, and that glowing green comet moved on, as expected.

* "The survivors of the Dixieboy... are still survivors."

...and so, so, SO much more!

Pete Holmes would have a field day with this film. Paul, please make this happen.

• Like 2

Sorry, but Yeardley Smith is LISA Simpson. Other than that, yeah, please do this crazy movie.

Sorry, but Yeardley Smith is LISA Simpson. Other than that, yeah, please do this crazy movie.

Oops! Yeah, my flub - fixed.

Oh, and the AC/DC soundtrack!!!

I think they just re-released a AC/DC album with a new cover and title.

wow, I haven't watched this movie since...I was a kid. I...I don't remember anything about aliens or comets making the machines come to life. I must have blocked a lot of this movie out of my brain. Must watch this again. FOR SCIENCE!!!! ;p

EDIT: lol I re-watched it. And yes, this movie has to be done.

Edited by Missy Chrissy
  • Like 1

This is one of the most perfect titles possible for this podcast.

Make it so!

• Like 1

This is one of the most perfect titles possible for this podcast.

Make it so!

I agree, wholeheartedly. This film was practically made for HDTGM.

After reading the book Stephen King Films FAQ, King was incredibly in over his head when making this, being coked out of his mind didn't help. He was basically given the shot to direct the movie after Dino De Laurentiis who had purchased the rights to a crapton of his books previously, couldn't find anyone to direct this movie. Everything got delayed because King didn't know anything about shooting a movie and everyone on set let him know it.

• Like 1

After reading the book Stephen King Films FAQ, King was incredibly in over his head when making this, being coked out of his mind didn't help. He was basically given the shot to direct the movie after Dino De Laurentiis who had purchased the rights to a crapton of his books previously, couldn't find anyone to direct this movie. Everything got delayed because King didn't know anything about shooting a movie and everyone on set let him know it.

I don't know if you've heard of it, but the Now Playing Podcast, another movie review podcast, is in the middle of what will be a years-long retrospective of movies based on Stephen King properties (as well as their many sequels), and their episode on "Maximum Overdrive" and it's remake (?) "Trucks" just hit within the last couple of weeks. They've been reviewing the films in the order that the source material was published, so the timeline hops around a lot, but they give a lot of good insight about what was going on at the time of the making of the movie, where King was in his career, etc. After doing the new "Transformers" movie (they'd previously done a series on the others) and "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes", they're jumping into the "Children of the Corn" films, which should keep them busy for a few months.

• Like 2

Oh trucks is a horrible movie starring Timothy Busfield. Basically the same plot but it falls in line with the darker ambiguous ending of the story. Trucks also has some pretty laughable scenes including where a toy truck crushes a guys head in.

Or where a hazmat suit gets inflated and kills a guy with an ax.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=trucks+%281997%29+movie+hazmat

• Like 1

Oh trucks is a horrible movie starring Timothy Busfield. Basically the same plot but it falls in line with the darker ambiguous ending of the story. Trucks also has some pretty laughable scenes including where a toy truck crushes a guys head in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBDz_xoxYbc

Or where a hazmat suit gets inflated and kills a guy with an ax.

http://www.youtube.c...29+movie+hazmat

More like Minimum Overdrive.

• Like 3

isn't this movie really just Steven Kings: Transformers

The man was ahead of his time I tell you.

I think Steven King was inspired by The Holy Mountain, Director: Alejandro Jodorowsky. Who btw wrote and directed and produced his own movie. ohh and stared in it too.. Alejandro Jodorowsky wanted to make a movie that would make you feel like you had taken LSD but with out the need of the drug. that's what I think what steven king was trying to do with Maximum Overdrive was trying to make a film that would make you feel like your high on marijuana but with out the dope smoke. That's my theory and I am sticking with it.

Somehow I dont think this is the most aerodynamic race car in the world (although, seeing as it comes from the 24 Hours of Lemons, its not the least aerodynamic race car either somehow.)

xlyna9.jpg

• Like 3

Somehow I dont think this is the most aerodynamic race car in the world (although, seeing as it comes from the 24 Hours of Lemons, its not the least aerodynamic race car either somehow.)

That guy would not look out of place in my Neighborhood..

One guys got a DeLorean and another crazy guy up the road from me got a jeep with the Jurassic Park logo on the side.

When did black rims become a thing, anyone? I am seeing a lot of trucks with black wheels and black rims and black tinted windows. I like to call them ass hole trucks. Because most of the time they drive like ass holes too.

Black-Out-Chevy-300x225.jpg

• Like 2

One guys got a DeLorean and another crazy guy up the road from me got a jeep with the Jurassic Park logo on the side.

When did black rims become a thing, anyone? I am seeing a lot of trucks with black wheels and black rims and black tinted windows. I like to call them ass hole trucks. Because most of the time they drive like ass holes too.

Black-Out-Chevy-300x225.jpg

Jerry, your neighborhood is awesome...

The guy with the Delorean...does he look like Cristopher Lloyd?

You live tightly nestled between the 4 borders of Hill Valley, Isla Nublar, Douchey Murderd-Out Truck Town,and whatever stupid thing King shits out?

• Like 1

So if you went to a 24 Hours of Lemons race, you'd feel right at home

They got Jurassic Park jeeps;

WPei5xL.jpg

And deloreons...kinda

RM9C3o0.jpg

Hell, they even got the boat from Jaws

DActhfi.jpg

Also, I have black rims on my car, they're stock wheels and I didnt want to pay for hubcaps (when I bought it, it had red rims, so bought cheap stock wheels off ebay.)

• Like 1

That last picture is fake. There is no drunken man of indistinct 'sailory' origin on the back getting eaten by a shark. Nice try, photoshop.

Jerry, your neighborhood is awesome...

The guy with the Delorean...does he look like Cristopher Lloyd?

You live tightly nestled between the 4 borders of Hill Valley, Isla Nublar, Douchey Murderd-Out Truck Town,and whatever stupid thing King shits out?

Nope, he looks like a diry old man with a Delorean and a young asian wife.

Over-the-Top.jpg

We should have a truck off contest. see who can find the biggest best truck in the world.

should set some ground rules first. it should be a truck, not a car and it has to be a semi like truckers, truck the kind that wouldn't look out of place in the movie maximum overdrive. anyone game for this, anyone want to play?

other wise I'll just leave this one alone.

Edited later: hope this reads better. sorry about that.

Sign in to follow this