🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ofcoursemyhorse

Drowning Mona (2000)

Just a goddamn strange movie all around. From every car in the movie being a fucking Yugo to their unfortunate decision to put Jamie Lee Curtis in a horrendous mullet wig, or even William Fichtner using the Wheel of Fortune board game as a sex toy.

Not too mention that everyone in this movie apart from Devito's character are wholly unlikable.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/drowning_mona/

I remember seeing this and wondering what was wrong with Casey Affleck's accent, only to realize that was his actual voice. Also Bette Midler's character might be the most unlikable character in film history, next to Yeardley Smith's character in Maximum Overdrive, by the end of the movie I wanted to kill her. Also there was the weird scene where out of nowhere Neve Campbell just starts making out with the female mechanic while Devito is completely unaware in the same room. This movie was just made up of random WTF moments and relied way too heavily on flashbacks to push the story along.

• Like 1

And it doesn'the help that a majority of the flashbacks are supposed to be horseshit. It reminds me of that episode of

X files with the vampire that couldn't stop himself from counting things that had been spilled. And they did those goofy flashbacks with luke wilson.

• Like 1

Yeah I remember that episode where it was differing stories of what happened in the vampire town and who was responsible for messing up the investigation. Scully thought Wilson was an uber-handsome guy while Mulder gave him buck teeth and a speech impediment if I remember right. What's more infuriating is that the final reveal of who killed Mona is even called into question because it shows things that the person telling the story could not have seen, so in the end the viewer has no real idea of actually committed the crime.

It's more just mean spirited and ugly than dry to me. The movie even ends with what is supposed to be the most honest character basically being totes cool with his son in law trying to murder someone.

Just have to bump this because its a terrible movie, filled with otherwise talented people including a really strange role from Will Ferrell.

Bump for Drowning Mona, this movie came out pretty close to One Night at McCool's which was another comedy that used Rashomon style storytelling. The best thing about this movie to me is how they clearly told everyone in hair and makeup that their job was to make every character look as horrendous possible. 

Sign in to follow this