🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 136.5 - Minisode 136.5

Oh June did a lot of press. I went to her Twitter. And I found this HuffPo Live one where she talks about Paul being on "Grace and Frankie" among other things. I didn't realize they were filming season three right now. No wonder she's too tired to do the late shows!

https://www.facebook...kushpsn00000001

Seriously like every interview I see I keep noticing different things that just make me go "JUNE YOU BEAUTIFUL OPALESCENT TREE SHARK"

Like how amazing that lip color is on her. Just perfect.

• Like 4

I was watching Parks and Rec on a satellite channel a fortnight ago - theyre 3 years old by the time we see them over here - & I was surprised and delighted to see June pop up as a guest star playing a rich Eagletonian valley girl type competing with April for her job. Its easy to forget how damned good looking she is, especially if you only really know her from the podcasts.

Paul is definitely batting well above his average having snagged her. No offence Paul.

I wonder how he managed it...erm...sense of humour and wit aside, of course.

It must have been the way he just sits there licking his eyebrows.

Never underestimate the power of making a woman laugh, and considering that's how Paul makes his living doing that, he's pretty good at it.

This film lost the Razzie for worst picture to Guy Van Sant's remake of Psycho, which in hindsight, is an unnecessary film but not anywhere near as horrible as The Avengers.

Avengers, pip pip! Stray observations:

- The title credit sequence is AWFUL, and it would have been awful in 1998. It looks exactly like a badly designed rave flyer from the late 1990s.

- The banter!!! It's literally 90% of the script, and every line reading has the same exact cadence and tone -- that of someone who believes they're delivering an extremely witty bon mot. This is "Raised Eyebrow: The Movie".

- The two leads have zero chemistry, and I was half expecting a poisonous gas explosion when they kissed.

- Sean Connery is rapey as fuck, in a super creepy way.

- These dumb rhyming jokes! Terrible writing. Sean Connery: "Rain or shine, the world is mine!"

- Eddie Izzard's totally stupid line of ADR, thrown in to earn that PG-13 rating, I suppose. Surely he could have had something wittier than "oh, fuck", like "oh, bollocks" at least.

- They obviously shot a ton of film, and that $60 million is definitely onscreen, but holy shit was this film edited to within an inch of its life.

The biggest question for me is: Why was this film set in what I assume is supposed to be 1998? It's an odd choice, because apart from a few computer monitors and a gadget or two, there's nothing in the film that requires it placed in a contemporary time. There's vintage cars, dress, and furnishings. The obvious choice would have been to have this take place in swingin' 60s London, and play up the camp factor -- there's almost no attempt to do this, which seems to be a glaring omission.

Most curious of all is the fact that the modern setting is never used for the usual fish out of water jokes; in which case, why not set the story in America? Accents aside, the whole thing never feels authentically English, and I seriously doubt this film played well (or was even intended to) in the UK. So who was it made for? The Americans with fond memories of an obscure British spy show?

I think this whole production was a bad idea from the start, and the terrible writing, direction, and editing killed any possibility of it being entertaining or even coherent.

• Like 1

as a writer, I can tell you WHY they had a scene of the main characters fencing in a tailor's shop, but it won't make the fact that it's there make any more sense.

There's this obsession with foreshadowing, callbacks, and "Chekhov's gun"ning that the industry has, I guess to be able to explain everything a character does, says, or uses, even though it's not always necessary. It's a way to make everything make sense, setup and payoff, but it also has the problem of making plots predictable if done poorly.

anyway,

Steed and Peel fencing in a tailor's shop was most likely foreshadowing for the end fight between Steed and Badguy McCreepface as well as being a convenient setting for talking about the boots for Peel.

• Like 1

Does Paul actually think that foxes are cats?

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that either. Does this seem cat like to you? He acts more like my parent's weenier dog than a cat.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

So if all dogs are boys and all cats are girls, then all foxes are also girls.

This film lost the Razzie for worst picture to Guy Van Sant's remake of Psycho, which in hindsight, is an unnecessary film but not anywhere near as horrible as The Avengers.

It did lose Worst Picture, but Psycho didn't win since it wasn't nominated. Worst Picture went to An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn. The film did however, won the Razzie for Worst Remake or Sequel in a three-way tie with Psycho and Roland Emmerich's Godzilla.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that either. Does this seem cat like to you? He acts more like my parent's weenier dog than a cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AtP7au_Q9w

Can't we all agree that foxes are just some weird hybrids? Cause I swear that video shows a fox that acts way more like my cat, Ms. Kitty Bennet (I had to share her name cause I'm super proud of my cat naming abilities), than any dog I've had. Granted I come from a family who loves bigger dogs and I've only ever been around labs and greyhounds.

• Like 1

Y'ALL

https://www.facebook...56106991179737/

I'm sad it's not the original but just hearing "Go ninja, go ninja, go!" kinda made my day.

This looks like the most boring possible crowd they could have found.

But at least they used the old Turtle costumes and not the freaky new look they have (although Leo's eyes make him look terrified).

• Like 1

It did lose Worst Picture, but Psycho didn't win since it wasn't nominated. Worst Picture went to An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn. The film did however, won the Razzie for Worst Remake or Sequel in a three-way tie with Psycho and Roland Emmerich's Godzilla.

Ooh! Thanks for the correction. I was wrong -- it was Worst Director that Avengers lost to Psycho. *eta: Which is still absurd, Avengers is worse in every conceivable way.

Argrbjml.jpg

• Like 1

on the subject of tub vs showers, take a lesson from lee majors.

Real cowboys take long baths.

epk4n.jpg

sometimes they wake up alone in that bath with out a kidney but that's just the way it is.

• Like 3

I'm a shower person only because I'm deeply and uncomfortably horrified by the standard, shallow, fiberglass tubs, which seem to be the only things I've ever really had available to me my entire life. If I ever had a big, deep tub, I'd take a lot more baths.

I've actually always wanted to do the Japan Method of showering clean, then lounging in a huge tub of hot water.

The-Voice.gif

• Like 3

I do both.

I shower, but I put the plug in the bath, and let the bath fill up with the shower water, and then have a quick bath to suppliment the shower.

• Like 1

I do both.

I shower, but I put the plug in the bath, and let the bath fill up with the shower water, and then have a quick bath to suppliment the shower.

But...aren't you then bathing in dirty water?

I'm a shower guy, btw. Unless I'm sick.

• Like 3

Kill Bill Vol 2 was the movie that made me realize how bad an actress she really is. That black and white scene where she's driving and gives that awful monologue was when I basically asked myself the same question you just posed.

I don't remember this scene. Maybe I repressed it. Mostly I remember the fighting parts.

Seriously like every interview I see I keep noticing different things that just make me go "JUNE YOU BEAUTIFUL OPALESCENT TREE SHARK"

Like how amazing that lip color is on her. Just perfect.

I know! I was thinking about her lip color as watching it. I'm in a dark red lip color period but I was like, "Maybe I should find out what brand she uses and get that? Because it's gorg." I wonder if that is an appropriate ask Paul.

• Like 2

But...aren't you then bathing in dirty water?

I'm a shower guy, btw. Unless I'm sick.

Think about it this way, you clean yourself in the bath, the water becomes dirty too.

Besides, you can shower first, then put the plug in, and you're already clean, just suppliments it.

• Like 1

I don't remember this scene. Maybe I repressed it. Mostly I remember the fighting parts.

It's the very first scene in the movie, and it's dreadful (starts about 50ish seconds in).

• Like 1

I know! I was thinking about her lip color as watching it. I'm in a dark red lip color period but I was like, "Maybe I should find out what brand she uses and get that? Because it's gorg." I wonder if that is an appropriate ask Paul.

I'm also in a dark lip color period. Well mostly because I wear a lot of dark colors and the dark lips just really tie the whole package together. But there are periods where I wear a nice pink or purple that's not crazy dark (really just Plumful from MAC) so yes I seconded your question cause that color is perf.

• Like 1

on the subject of tub vs showers, take a lesson from lee majors.

Real cowboys take long baths.

epk4n.jpg

sometimes they wake up alone in that bath with out a kidney but that's just the way it is.

Damn straight.

You cant drink or smoke in a shower. I dont smoke, but if I did I'd be mightily pissed off if the shower made my stoogie/fag end/spliff too soggy to light.

Many a can of Tennants or glass of Bushmills has been drunk while Im soaking in a bath relaxing too.

• Like 1

It's the very first scene in the movie, and it's dreadful (starts about 50ish seconds in).

It IS bad, and precisely the thing that irritates me about Tarantino, because criticism will always be dismissed with "it's exploitation/b-movie homage, it's supposed to be like that". A bad line reading is still a bad line reading, even if it's supposed to be ironically bad.

We know Thurman can act within her limited range, when directed properly (Pulp Fiction, Henry & June, Gattaca). The problem is poor choices with casting, writing, or directing. I have no doubts she would be a perfectly adequate Emma Peel in a better movie; Ralph Fiennes suffers similarly in The Avengers.

• Like 1

For those of you who haven't watched this piece o' shitake, it is conveniently airing on some of the 172 HBO channels this month. I recommend watching it on HBO Latino if you don't speak Spanish. Your not understanding a word of the dialog will only help this confounding trainwreck.