🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JJ95

Suggestion: The Ray Nicolette Stand Off - Jackie Brown vs Out of Sight

Hey everyone

I think a fun vs episode could be "Jackie Brown" against "Out of Sight". I mean picking the one ultimate Ray Nicolette (or Elmore Leaonard) movie for the canon sounds like an interesting spin on the concept.

And the movies are both amazing but very different - and fun to talk about. It's kind of interesting how differently Tarantino and Soderbergh adapt source material that is quite similar.

• Like 4

I admit it's a little gimmicky but I think contrasting the two movies could be very interesting, especially the leads, the stylization and the two endings...

I thought I'd give this another push even if none of those two movies is currently on Netflix in the US...

Yeah, I'm down for it. This would be the only Tarantino release that is canon-worthy that might not make it in--assuming we don't do some cruel versus between Django Unchained and Inglourious Basterds.

This has been mentioned before (just putting this out there because it hasn't been picked up on before, and there may be a reason,so....), but I'd be totally down with it.

I'd pick Jackie Brown, no question. For one thing, Ray has more to do in this one. But, mostly, there just a hell of a lot more going on in this film. Out of Sight was awright, it played it cute, it tried to be sexy (sorry, it failed with me, not that that was why I rented the movie, nosir, not at all, I had altogether more prurient prudish reasons to wanting to watch it, I swear, trust me), but it ended up a very B-level caper-ish comedy.

Whereas Jackie Brown is a friggin' masterpiece on all levels, for two solid hours of awesome.

Yeah, Jackie Brown might even be my favorite Tarantino. It's certainly the easiest to sit down and watch, if only because Kill Bill is two goddamn movies (not hatin', just acknowledging). But the best film from one of our best writer/directors of, at least, MY lifetime. Yeah, I'm bias. I'm already sold. Jackie Brown all the way.

Though I'd still enjoy the episode. I feel that Devin would be on my page (co-incidentally, I'm sure). I'd just have to wonder if Amy would do that occasionally/regularly bizarre thing she does and just either pick the wrong film or decide to throw shade (that's a new kids' term, right?) on the clearly better film, because....Amy just does that sometimes. It's far, FAR less annoying than when Devin does it, but she's human too. Whatever that means.

Anyway, Jackie Brown > Out of Sight all the way. Though I still want this episode, just because. Better than then have them spend an hour and ten on Flight of the Navigator or Wargames, or some other GenX 80s-full nostalgic film. Really, really tired of them. Better retro-90s than 80s. It'd be a small improvement.

• Like 1

As I said before

I don't know if the decision is really that easy. On Rotten Tomatoes Out of Sight edges out Jackie Brown slightly and I know many Elmore Leonard fans who greatly prefer Out of Sight.

Don't get me wrong I adore Jackie Brown and it's probably the more effortless cool movie but I think Out of Sight is an amazing film as well - maybe the quintessential Soderbergh movie with the non-linear structure, the jump cuts, freeze frames and the color all contributing. It definitely put him back on the map and without Out of Sight I don't know if Clooney's career would have recovered from Batman & Robin and flops like Peacemaker. And I would even say that overall the cast is a smidge better than in Tarantino's caper.

But even if you think Jackie Brown would stomp Out of Sight into the ground I would say contrasting the styles of Tarantino and Soderbergh when they are doing basically the same kind of movie with the same kind of characters could make a fascinating listen.

Sign in to follow this