🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
jesshelga

The Master of Disguise (2002)

When Paul described his reaction to "The Love Guru," I immediately thought of my own puzzled, horrified, laughing reaction to "Master of Disguise." Some of the scenes are the most excruciating, stone-dead bits ever to be committed to screen. It's probably too dusty at this point, though...

• Like 2

This one is pretty high on the list of films that made me think: "How did this get made?" I actually saw it in the theater when I was 12, and even back then I knew it was a disaster. The film is basically a series of loosely connected scenes that slowly make you lose your appreciation for Dana Carvey. The "disguises" are impersonations that vary from recycled SNL sketch, to cliche film reference, to borderline racism, and of course... turtle.

All in all, it's a blast to watch if you like train-wrecks. I would love to hear Paul and the gang's reaction to this masterpiece of bad ideas.

This one is pretty high on the list of films that made me think: "How did this get made?" I actually saw it in the theater when I was 12, and even back then I knew it was a disaster. The film is basically a series of loosely connected scenes that slowly make you lose your appreciation for Dana Carvey. The "disguises" are impersonations that vary from recycled SNL sketch, to cliche film reference, to borderline racism, and of course... turtle.

All in all, it's a blast to watch if you like train-wrecks. I would love to hear Paul and the gang's reaction to this masterpiece of bad ideas.

Don't know if this has been suggested before or not, but this movie made me question my sanity. Holy shit. It's on Netflix, too. Get into it!

I've always been curious about this one. Brent Spiner plays a flatulent villain. I wonder if he would be willing to do the episode. I've heard him making light about it before (of course, that's not the same as an entire episode ripping it apart).

I caught this on cable back in the early 00s and it really, really sucks. Half of the movie is just closing credits with terrible outtakes. Would make for a great ep.

You would have thought Dana Carvey would have have been comedy film gold. Yes, I lost appreciation and it seems like his career ended abruptly.

(then again I'm told he had epic surgery mistakes for some condition),

Anyways, ran out to rent this one - a huge SNL Carvey fan and wow.. wow this was a dud. Really really bad. Annoying. I guess 'Turtle' made his kids squeal with laughter but wow bad.

Strongly agree this is a real candidate - great cast (on paper) and big money and marketing and what a mess.

This isn't a candidate because they want to keep their careers. Same reason why they haven't done a Sandler movie.

• Like 1

This isn't a candidate because they want to keep their careers. Same reason why they haven't done a Sandler movie.

Who would they have to fear from this thing? Dana Carvey? Josh Brolin's dad?

• Like 3

Who would they have to fear from this thing? Dana Carvey? Josh Brolin's dad?

Studios who want to make mainstream comedies that these three would probably want to be in if only for the check. Their friends who like and respect Dana Carvey.

They want to be Adam Sandler and Dana Carvey so they won't trash it.

I don't buy that. Given that reasoning, they'd have never done The Love Guru. Or All About Steve.

• Like 1

I don't buy that. Given that reasoning, they'd have never done The Love Guru. Or All About Steve.

True but they may personally like and respect Carvey more. I don't know.

They like and respect a lot of people who have done awful movies they've talked about. I don't think Master of Disguise hits too close to home for anyone.

Another Winner by Mr Dana Carvey is Opportunity Knocks, I remember loosing respect for a video store owner who recommend to me that i should rent this garbage. I never saw The Master of Disguise. it looks brilliant, brilliantly bad. a good glue sniffing fun movie. I didn't enjoy Nothing But Trouble so i am sure i would not enjoy this. so i am going to pass.

I don't remember Opportunity Knocks all that well, but I do remember feeling like it was a crappy knockoff version of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Man, I rented this when it came out on video senior year of highschool, and just couldn't get through it, I probably only watched the first 15 minutes before I turned it off. It was really disappointed too, because I was a big fan of Carvey and Waynes World, and I thought this movie would be like his Austin Powers. Still haven't seen this whole film, maybe if HDTGM do it I'll try again.

Oh sweet Jesus is this flick abysmal. One of the worst things I've ever seen. I still have waking nightmares about that turtle shit.

• Haha 1

That trailer looks phenomenal. I might have to look this up on Netflix.

That trailer looks phenomenal. I might have to look this up on Netflix.

I'm so sorry for everything you're about to go through.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This seriously needs to be done. Can we have a vote? Maybe it's so awful that they're afraid to watch it?

Sign in to follow this