🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 137 - The Avengers: LIVE!

(Also, Hi, I'm new. Be kind.)

Don't worry. people here can be sarcastic and snarky, but don't straight up insult people, and if someone here does, they're not one of us.

• Like 2

Do you think this movie is occurring in an England concurrent to the events in Hell Comes to Frogtown?

If I recall from that HBO special, the emptiness was supposed to evoke the feel of the television show, which I guess didn't have extras?

• Like 1

I never saw this movie. My former roommate quotes Connery's, "Now is the winter of your discontent line", a lot.

Does your former roommate quote it as specifically from this movie? Or because it's from Richard III? (I don't mean that to sound sarcastic; I'm genuinely curious if they know that it's from a Shakespeare play)

(Also, Hi, I'm new. Be kind.)

tumblr_ns7o4udDfC1qzquwto1_1280.gif

• Like 7

- In the meeting of bears, each bear had a fucking cup in front of them. How are they supposed to drink their beverages through a bear mask with no mouth hole?

Oh my God. That's so beautiful. I imagine them all staring at the cups, parched, so close but yet so far... assuming they had eyeholes, of course. How did they see and/or breath through those suits, exactly? And something I noticed while watching - Sean Connery throws what is essentially a small poisoned lawn dart at two of the bears to kill them. But the bear costumes are so thick that the dart would need to be significantly longer, at least a foot longer, in order to reach the human inside.

• Like 4

The other female lead in The Avengers was Joanna Lumley

The-Avengers_2023995c.jpg

This was in the revived version in the 70s called The New Avengers.

There were various women in the original 60s one. I think Emma Peel was the third or fourth "companion" (to use Dr Who terminology). Peel is the best known internationally because the series was sold to ABC right before she joined the show, so she's the one that everyone thinks of when they think of The Avengers.

• Like 1

However, I do feel like Steed would have been pretty crestfallen to find out that his incredible umbrella fighting skills wouldn't be enough for him to make the cut as well.

Steed WAS crestfallen. That's why he went and created the Kingsmen. Colin Firth does some pretty bad-ass fighting with an umbrella.

• Like 3

Does your former roommate quote it as specifically from this movie? Or because it's from Richard III? (I don't mean that to sound sarcastic; I'm genuinely curious if they know that it's from a Shakespeare play)

It's definitely from the movie. He does a Connery accent. He's more of a scholar of bad television and movies than he is of the Bard.

• Like 3

Regarding the bear costumes, any chance that Chechik was cribbing from the music video for "Donkey Rhubarb" by Aphex Twin? The video would have been out for about two years by the time production started, and Aphex Twin was still hugely influential in the late 90s.

maxresdefault.jpg

Do you think this movie is occurring in an England concurrent to the events in Hell Comes to Frogtown?

No, that is a documentary on the city of Derby.

• Like 3

Very possible!

Also I somehow picked up some new information while trying to find the "vagina flower" in question, I managed to hear it in dialogue, that my brain skimmed over while dealing with the banter patterns, that apparently Sir August was a former employee of/spy for the ministry, but is retired now. Which once again fits with either you're a villain or spy. Also something about a "Hot & Cold" war?

• Like 2

The most fucked up thing about this movie? Uma Thurman, Ralph Fiennes, Jim Broadbent, and Sean Connery have all been nominated for Acadamy Awards, the latter two actually won! So it's not like it's Tommy Wiseau and the Scene Chewers, these are all highly respected actors, and not even they could do anything with this shower of shit.

• Like 3

It's time to play my favorite game while watching British movies!

HOW MANY PEOPLE WERE IN HARRY POTTER!

The Avengers: 3!

Ralph Fiennes - Voldemort

Jim Broadbent - Professor Slughorn

Fiona Shaw - Aunt Petunia

And that has been HOW MANY PEOPLE WERE IN HARRY POTTER!

• Like 6

Jason asks "Who would use a potted plant as a weapon?"

Chris Jericho, that's who!!

• Like 9

Jim Broadbent will always be "That guy who was Zidler from Moulin Rouge" to me.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]
  • Like 6

So, Linda Thorsen (as Tara King) is the third female lead, and Joanna Lumley (as Purdey) was the fourth in The New Avengers when she and Steed were joined by Gareth Hunt as Mike Gambit. That'd be the series I'd be most familiar with.

• Like 1

Jim Broadbent will always be "That guy who was Zidler from Moulin Rouge" to me.

To my mother, he is the father from Bridget Jones that she thought was dead for a good year before I was able to convince her that they were still using him for the final Harry Potter movies and he was (and still is) not dead.

• Like 4

And Ralph Fiennes was hotter as the genocidal Voldemort than Steed.

I also have a problem with the constant references to tea. They played the super cut. I know British people like their tea. But wasn't champagne the thing they always drank in the TV show? I think this is like a parody of what non-British people think of what living in England is like.

Also! The macaroon thing. Mother always wants it. But when they show them eating the cookie---I don't think that's a macaroon? I'm familiar with the coconut macaroons. And also the French macaron. I googled and the cookie Broadbent ate looks like a "Turkish macaroon." But, like, Is that the most common type in Britain? I'd think with France being right there...?

Other questions:

-- Why does Uma wear black shorts with her red jumpsuit?

-- Is Father blind?

-- Why isn't Steed electrocuted at the end when Connery is? They are standing on a metal bridge. It'd conduct the electricity.

• Like 3

Not to derail this conversation too much, but it sounds like Paul and I share a very similar iTunes catalog--right down to the A.C. Newman. Although, I do own a-ha's entire Greatest Hits album--and I stand by that decision. "

" is honestly one of my favorite songs. Every morning, I like to get up, put on my tightest neon colored leotard and do a little light rhythm gymnastics. I'm not great, mind you, but I think I'm getting better...

rythmic-gymnastics-1.gif

Also, for June...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA

• Like 4

Another clue in the case that Uma #1 is still a robot is the fact that her hair would not have looked as perfect as it did in that jungle room in Sean Connery's house. The humidity alone would have caused so much frizz.

• Like 4

Ooh I'm interested in the idea of the director (in the Blake Harris interview) saying he wants to re-edit this film. Because I think there could be a version where it's Gentleman!Steed and smart, strong Mrs Peel fighting against the misogynistic Sean Connery. I posted that article about Patrick Macnee where he said Steed was always comfortable working with a strong female partner, unlike Connery's Bond.

He'd have to remove the weird naked Ralph Fiennes scene, because that was very gross. And also him making her get him tea. There's also something interesting about Mother being good but Father being evil. I'm also sure there's more scenes of Connery being creepy they could use. Or maybe just a clip of his interviews.

• Like 3

It'sh hwell knorn thad Sean Cyonnady ish a chool uff deh hyiyesht ordjah

I couldn't help but type that in his acshent.

• Like 4

So, hang on, a guy who built female robots and wanted to control the weather? Suddenly this is the fembot episodes of Bionic Woman and the Six Million Dollar Man!

• Like 1

In fact, I have a theory that Sean Connery is actually the prototype of Arnold Schwarzenegger.

- They're both former bodybuilders

- They both decided to move into acting

- They both have very distinct accents which they make absolutely ZERO effort to change despite the roles they are portraying

- They both became heavily involved in the world of politics

- They both have sons who have ventured into acting

- They both have had some controversies regarding their treatment of women

They realised they couldn't outdo the sheer brilliance of Arnold Schwarzenegger, they aborted the experiment (I mean that in all sincerity too, as I have every single Arnold Schwarzenegger movie, apart from Junior and Batman and Robin, the latter doesn't count as a "Schwarzenegger" movie, and Junior is fucking horrendous.)

• Like 1