🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 137 - The Avengers: LIVE!

When Mother has Father and 2uma at gun point, he threatens to shoot the evil Uma. Father's response is "Which one?" and this confounds Mother.

"Which One?!?!" I don't know; how about shooting the Uma that is standing calmly next to the confirmed spy. Also shoot the Uma that is carrying the lifeless body of the other Uma.

g5HXAUM.jpg

• Like 3

I know there was a discussion on the sexual innuendos in the film, but I wished the crew brought up my favorite and most over the top one....

Quickly after Connery "intro-chokes" Uma, he says... "One should never fear being wet." This line is delivered while holding an unusual long gaze down. There is not mistaking he is referring to her vagina. Ewwwww!

How uncomfortable was it after the director called cut?!

• Like 1

Goddamnit, Elektra! Spoiler tags!

I know! I was like, should I spoil the end of this book? But like it came out in the 30s and Hitchcock made a movie of it. So if you don't know now...

Also in THE PRESTIGE (both movie and book!): twin brothers.

Though: sort of funny story. You know how you always have that one friend who doesn't do any of the reading yet aces all the tests and papers? My friend only read half of "Rebecca" and asked me to tell her what happened. When I started in on how Rebecca was a crazy sociopath and Maxim killed her. Then Mrs Danvers--the house keeper who is implied to have been in love with Rebecca--burns the goddamn house down?

She was like, "Holy shit, I wish I'd read the book for once."

So let this be a lesson:

READ-THE-BOOK.gif

or

tumblr_o46wczOkCU1qk1jn0o1_500.gif

Yeah, 24 Hour Pizza Party, we're just raking in the dough over here. It's like the Wolf of Wall Street or... something else where they have money. I don't even know fake people with money.

ETA:

Guys! Guys! I just googled "Rebecca" and they say there was a British TV version starring Charles Dance (who was originally going to be Steed) as Maxim and Diana Rigg the original Emma Peel as Mrs. Danvers.

tumblr_static_8n78ga3v7z0g08wos40k8g8kk.gif

Either this is some kind of sign or proof that there are actually only four actors in Britain and they just keep recycling them.

• Like 6

I have another question. In the trailer, there is a scene of Emma saying "how now brown cow" into another telephone booth. IMDb says this a cut scene when 2ma destroyed the weather facility.

So at the end, when Emma says "how now brown cow" into de Wynter's phone does he think it's 2ma? And that's why he just let's them into his evil lair (terrible villanining, really shameful). But he can see that Steed is with her, right? Why not just call down crazy weather like he did earlier in the movie so he never has to face off with the good guys at all and can just continue with his dastardly plan unopposed. What the heck?

OR did he think it was the real Uma and that somehow his mind control (which never really comes back) was going to come into play.

Basically, why'd he basically invite the heroes in for tea? I know British people are polite but that seems excessive.

Also!!! How did real!Emma know "how now brown cow" was the password when 2ma is straight up dead. Or mangled. Or whatever the robot equivalent of deadsville is.

And I agree with June, I sort of did like the opening sequence when Steed was doing the obstacle course. I enjoy umbrella fighting. I don't know why it's a thing. But obviously it's a big part of KINGSMAN for Colin Firth's character. But the Marvel Howling Commando Pinky Pinkerton also only fights with an umbrella. Kingsman has the benefit of better effects and technology but I'd argue Pinky even does cooler fights (like in this cartoon beginning around 4:15 in) than Steed does in this movie. The stunt coordinators should be ashamed.

According to Macnamee, Steed was never supposed to use a gun. So I was kind of bummed Ralph Fiennes did at one point. Emma is supposed to be the one who has a gun. Yet, I don't think she ever did? Except when 2ma shot Steed?

ETA: Whoops. Two in a row. Clearly I have too many thoughts abut this movie. Sorry.

• Like 4

I now know how fans of Street Fighter the game must feel listening to that episode. The original Avengers with Patrick MacNee (voice of the invisible man in this travesty) and Diana Rigg is one of the most stylish, witty TV series ever made and Paul, Jason and June know nothing about it. It's understandable, but yet it hurts me. The ignorance. It physically hurts me.

Guys! Guys! I just googled "Rebecca" and they say there was a British TV version starring Charles Dance (who was originally going to be Steed) as Maxim and Diana Rigg the original Emma Peel as Mrs. Danvers.

Either this is some kind of sign or proof that there are actually only four actors in Britain and they just keep recycling them.

Diana Rigg has worked mostly in British television, although fans may have spotted her along with Tim Curry and a very young Fairuza Balk in one of my favorite classics of so bad it's good cinema, The Worst Witch.

781c180e23b53f4673525cfafd1462c7.jpg

WorstWitch-FrontCover+22.jpg

(which of course is clearly the prequel to The Craft, but that's another story...)

• Like 5

Hello Everyone!

I'm way late but I'd love to chime in and touch on some things... *SOMEWHAT LONG POST AHEAD*

OH MY GOD UMA THURMAN BEING A ROBOT WAS MY THEORY THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE MOVIE!

I was gonna write out this long ass theory that would actually make the movie make sense about Sean Connery building these Uma Thurman robots that looked like his dead wife (whom he has a comically large painting of in his house) and that's why Uma Thurman says everything in such a specific way and moves soooo stiffly! Because there is no logical way that a human being would move, emote, and talk like that!

But I didn't just think 2ma was the robot but Uma as well. Her acting was fucking awful and only makes sense to me if she's a robot.

ETA: Screw it I'm writing more of this out.

So for some reason Sean Connery has a painting of a blonde Uma Thurman above his piano in his home. Also side note, every iteration of Uma in this movie has the exact same haircut and style. I assume they all go to the same hairdresser. My theory is that Mrs. Peel is yet another robot that he did build in the likeness of his dead wife, Blondma, to actually infiltrate the Ministry to gain their trust. He can then have 2ma go and do all of the nefarious plans he has brilliantly thought up and still have the ministry on Mrs. Peel's side, which seemed rather easy considering they only arrested her well after they found out there was actually two of her.

It would have been a much better rather "Hydra" plan since he had already had Father involved. That way he can then work out how to infiltrate the government and then foreign governments and soon he has an entire world organization where he can basically do whatever he wants. But even when you see Father start to enact her own plan for Mrs. Peel and the Ministry she is straight up killed along with 2ma!

IKR My theory was that Emma Prime was going to be revealed as the clone, because she had convenient amnesia and she acted shady and 2ma was the real Emma Peel mind controlled by Connery or something

Awww... I feel kinda bad about June not liking short guys/ guys shorter than her. I'd be totally okay with dating a guy my height or shorter than me. (I'm only 5'5"/5'6" depending on shoes) and her being so adamant about being against it made me kind of uncomfortable.

I could understand her stance on flexible men, and their buns but I don't know if I understand this one.

That whole bit ties perfectly with 'Most actors are tiny' quote from June's Today Show interview LOL

It's been a while since chem 101, but I still had some issues with the "science" of this movie. The movie introduces Emma as the former chief of the Prospero Project, which is a weather shield for the UK. How does it work? Who the fuck knows. They gave as little information about it as possible. Emma explains that they were "bombarding protons and ions to make antimatter"..."artificially creating weather systems." First, what? Second, adding a proton to an ion (an atom that has a different number of electrons than protons) would result in a different atom all together. Add a proton to hydrogen and you get helium (though it would be unstable), not "antimatter." What do antimatter have to do with weather systems anyway? Well, this matter (har har) is dropped altogether when later, in Sean Connery's green house of sexual assault and vagina flowers, Emma talks about altering cloud patterns by using "microtransmissions." Now they're just making up science-y sounding words. So how is manipulating cloud patterns result in rain or snow? Wouldn't they need to control the air temperature and pressure systems as well?

Yes you are 100% right, also one thing that drove me mad about the wheather tech in this movie was the way they try to set it up... In the scene where (Moments before 2ma shots Steed) Steed goes in the phone booth and when he comes out the whole grass field is now completely covered with snow and then they get to the Wheather Company and the receptionist says something along the lines of "We can send out any kind of weather you want through a phone line" WHAT?! So with that line of dialogue we the audience have to be on board with the crazyness we saw? Even when, like tomspanks said in his post, the science jargon does not make it remotely plausible? I guess the people of the world won't be affected as long as they don't answer the phone ;) And also at the end Sean Connery just summons a hurricane that kills that whole phone line tech setup... "Stop trying to make weather happen, it's not gonna happen"maxresdefault.jpg

This was a round the same time Uma Thurman did Batman and Robin...

A year later, another redhead and also by Warner Bros.

Finally, I want to add that in the bear meeting room scene I recognized the type of Teddy Bear Costume from one of my all time favorite movies "Detention"6421_7_large.jpg

original.jpg

Thank you for reading my post!

• Like 3

I agree with Paul that there is no way Sean would wear the head of the Grateful Dead bear, but he did wear the full body suit.

I wished I could have been on set to watch Connery walk in from his trailer and see everyone just starring at him. There had to have been a crew member thinking, "Man, what has happened to James Bond to fall this far?"

CLbfa53.jpg

I now know how fans of Street Fighter the game must feel listening to that episode. The original Avengers with Patrick MacNee (voice of the invisible man in this travesty) and Diana Rigg is one of the most stylish, witty TV series ever made and Paul, Jason and June know nothing about it. It's understandable, but yet it hurts me. The ignorance. It physically hurts me.

Honestly this was how I felt after listening to the Spice World episode. I wasn't on the boards back then but it actually hurt me to hear that they didn't understand how campy and ridiculous it was supposed to be.

Batman and Robin(1997), Avengers(1998), and Wild Wild West(1999). So I guess there was an ill conceived trend to revive old tv shows from the 60's on the big screen in the late 90s. Oddly enough, Batman and Robin seems to be the faithful of the bunch and the most enjoyable(?).

"Save the Cat"

From Wikipedia:

The title Save the Cat! is a term coined by Snyder and describes the scene where the audience meets the hero of a movie for the first time. The hero does something nice, e.g., saving a cat, which makes the audience like the hero and sympathize with him.

The Avengers (1998)

Mrs. Peel's Introduction:

She answers the doorbell to find a friendly, young delivery man. She neither greats him, nor thanks him for the delivery. She takes the package with a sphincter puckering look of smug superiority, does not tip him, and walks away.

During the whole encounter Peel comes off as so unnecessarily cold and priggish, how exactly are we to "sympathize" with her?

I can only imagine how this poor, affable delivery guy felt as he left her place--assured by her disdainful and hyperborean glances of his place in the world as a living piece of man-garbage.

• Like 1

So, I read about the proposal before I finished the ep, and I was like, "Ugh, whatever. Public proposals are so stupid and vain and I fucking hate them so much."

Then I listened to the end of the ep today and I started crying in the car. I didn't know it was the people from the TMNT2 episode, and it was really sweet and perfect and I hope they are so happy together and that Jason goes to/officiates their wedding.

To be fair, I'm kind of on an emotional rollercoaster this week because I had to put my dog down a few days ago, so lots of things are making me cry right now. But that doesn't change that the proposal was sweet enough to make even my cynical self appreciate it.

• Like 5

Sorry to go off topic for a second, but the dance scene with Oscar Isaac from the movie "Ex Machina" set to different music!

http://io9.gizmodo.c...dium=socialflow

The Backstreet Boys one wasn't in that link, but it's the one that made me laugh the hardest when I first saw these:

https://twitter.com/oscardances/status/725930373822058496

• Like 1

So, I read about the proposal before I finished the ep, and I was like, "Ugh, whatever. Public proposals are so stupid and vain and I fucking hate them so much."

Then I listened to the end of the ep today and I started crying in the car. I didn't know it was the people from the TMNT2 episode, and it was really sweet and perfect and I hope they are so happy together and that Jason goes to/officiates their wedding.

To be fair, I'm kind of on an emotional rollercoaster this week because I had to put my dog down a few days ago, so lots of things are making me cry right now. But that doesn't change that the proposal was sweet enough to make even my cynical self appreciate it.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. That really sucks.

• Like 2

Also the "coke lines" in question.

QpFkJlt.png

Just came to check.. anyone do that coke yet bro??

• Like 6

I'll commit to my bitterness -- public proposals are showboating and lame. You get a wedding, okay? You don't need to make an event of everything else.

I'm really okay with it because it tied into a previous episode, and it was obviously something that meant a lot to them both.

But I totally get being like, "Shut up about it" too. I've told most of my friends that I will go to a wedding and ONE other event. They can choose if that's bachelor party, engagement party, co-ed wedding shower. This personal rule came about because I had friends that had all three + a destination wedding. Seriously, that's some bullshit. Same goes for babies because I care about them even less. (I realize that sounds like it's a rule for baby weddings, and I'm leaving it that way because I think it's funny)

Sorry about your puppers. I miss mine, too.

Thanks. He was an old guy, so it wasn't totally unexpected. But it still kind of sucks.

p.s., reddit ������

XF3M8Fzl.jpg

Ah reddit. You are truly a cesspool. Bets on whether these guys are also red-pillers who use "biology" to justify their sexism?

• Like 2

I'm really okay with it because it tied into a previous episode, and it was obviously something that meant a lot to them both.

I'm reluctantly willing to tolerate this behavior IF AND ONLY IF:

1. They are crowned the official HDTGM Couple

2. They have a baby whose (first or middle) name is a reference to the show

3. They bring Pretzie Jr. to a future taping and have a "give me your baby" moment with Jason

• Like 7

Correction and Omission:

Okay I'm writing after having not read any of the prior comments because I have an honest to God three day weekend and am feeling lazy, so if these points have been discussed prior I apologize.

First, regarding Father and her blindness, there are a few moments that were left in which show her as blind, such as being led to cars by the arm by Twoma and various small moments where she feels around rooms in order to get a grasp of where she is. It's kinda like what Denzel Washington did in Book of Eli but on an almost non-existent level.

Regarding the bear costumes, I still don't know why Connery takes his mask off because in essence he is now at the mercy of every other person in that room who can readily identify him if they were to be capture by the police and interrogated. It should have been the other way around where they take their masks off while he leaves his on so that he has leverage over them to remain on task. Then with Twoma and the idea of her being a robot was a callback to an old episode of the Avengers where they dealt with robot doubles, as a nice nod to the fans of the show, but I think the creators of this movie were obviously overestimating the nostalgia for this show after seeing how poorly it did in theaters, similar to The Man From U.N.C.L.E. last year. The cloning was supposed to be the fallback idea and would have been explained in the 30 minutes that had been cut from the movie.

As for there being no extras in the movie I have figured the answer out to that, they were only in the footage that was cut from the movie. Also, why the fuck was it never explained why there is an invisible man just working in the archives?! What happened to him that caused him to be that way?

As for Twoma, why was it never explained or touched on by the hosts that she was basically indestructible? When she was fighting Steed on the roof after the bear meeting, Uma catches them just before Twoma escapes by jumping off the top of a fucking skyscraper, with no parachute! That crash would have liquefied her. Lastly, whenever I hear Twoma now I just think about Arnold Schwarzenegger and what he must have said when he met her on the set of Batman & Robin.

My favorite moment in this the avengers was the clockwork orange moment. when Eddie Izzard stole John Steed hat.

1z6qosm.jpg

He even wears the hat the same way as Alex the leader of the no good gang from a clockwork orange does.

I would of been on the floor, if he said I like your hat brother. he sort of almost does that clearly a clockwork orange reference. I love his lather jacket too. I wish I could find one like that. but I would look like a weirdo in.

I still say this was a good movie regardless of what anyone says. the guys walking running around in teady bear outfits made no sense to me because they would never get anywork done that way. and why didn't they just use clones!

on the clockwork orange dvd Malcolm McDowell said that if you fall into that tems river, you'll have to goto the hospital and have your stomach pumped out. because it's extremely toxic.basically they wear diving suits under the white outfits when they fall into the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XFCnWWPlHE

• Like 1

Sorry about your dog, Fister!

giphy.gif

I'm reluctantly willing to tolerate this behavior IF AND ONLY IF:

1. They are crowned the official HDTGM Couple

2. They have a baby whose (first or middle) name is a reference to the show

3. They bring Pretzie Jr. to a future taping and have a "give me your baby" moment with Jason

I think instead of a band, they should have a live podcast taping at the wedding. It won't be good for dancing but, like, who wants to do the conga anyway?
  • Like 5