🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 137 - The Avengers: LIVE!

Unrelated, but this is a thread full of tangents (many of which I started...and am not sorry for).

TAYLOR ANNE, REMEMBER HOW WE WERE TALKING ABOUT YOU'RE THE WORST PEOPLE BEING ON HDTGM?! Aya Cash is on the new DLM (which you might already know)!

I can't wait to listen tonight!

• Like 1

Unrelated, but this is a thread full of tangents (many of which I started...and am not sorry for).

TAYLOR ANNE, REMEMBER HOW WE WERE TALKING ABOUT YOU'RE THE WORST PEOPLE BEING ON HDTGM?! Aya Cash is on the new DLM (which you might already know)!

I can't wait to listen tonight!

I didn't know but this is amazing news! I looooved the episode where is was just the whole cast (minus Chris and Desmin)!

I didn't listen to any podcasts while I was overseas so I'm still catching up. HDTGM was the only one I've been listening to the day it airs because throwing in C&Os is more time sensitive.

• Like 1

I didn't know but this is amazing news! I looooved the episode where is was just the whole cast (minus Chris and Desmin)!

I didn't listen to any podcasts while I was overseas so I'm still catching up. HDTGM was the only one I've been listening to the day it airs because throwing in C&Os is more time sensitive.

taylor anne was it you who was going on about the heat in texas the other day? you missed a perfect opportunity to plug Wendy's... LOL wendy's that's a kind of heat you can deal with.

Your welcome

.that's the missing theme music btw.

Time for Tea!

• Like 2

Me too! I just really love Aya, so if we only get one, I'm glad it's her!

taylor anne was it you who was going on about the heat in texas the other day? you missed a perfect opportunity to plug Wendy's... LOL wendy's that's a kind of heat you can deal with.

Your welcome

.that's the missing theme music btw.

I think you mean Amy's post cause she was moving the other day in the heat lol.

But I think it might have been in the mini-thread where I did mention how cute it was that Scotland and Ireland kept apologizing for their 75 degrees.

We all know Scotland is to blame for global warming.and we all know why..

this is the shame they have to live with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHXGo8plTzY

Jesus. Texas has deep fried everything, and people laugh and move on, Scotland deep fries one candy bar and everyone loses their minds.

P.S. speaking of Texas... Now it's starting to flood here in DFW. FML

• Like 3

Yeah an old friend of mine actually lost her home and her car in Houston :(

Jesus. Texas has deep fried everything, and people laugh and move on, Scotland deep fries one candy bar and everyone loses their minds.

he's talking about frying snowballs, I am not sure I can give my full endorsement on that..

33otylh.jpg

• Like 1

he's talking about frying snowballs, I am not sure I can give my full endorsement on that..

33otylh.jpg

Yeah. I mean, everyone knows that coconut should be toasted and not fried!

RIGHT GUYS?!

• Like 3

Yeah. I mean, everyone knows that coconut should be toasted and not fried!

Oh no you didn't!

tumblr_mlgw2aLqCv1s6moqxo1_500.gif

• Like 2

I'm sorry but Jubilee might be the lamest X-Man of all time, due to the fact that her power was basically magical jazz hands. Yet for some reason when they made her a focal point of the first couple seasons of the X-Men cartoon she was basically the mutant version of Wesley Crusher, worthless to the team overall but somehow the one who ended up solving the issue they were having. Regarding the age difference between Jean and Wolverine, if I remember right due to his healing ability he ages a lot slower than anyone else and was over a hundred years old by the time he entered Weapon X. Many people give the Last Stand a lot of shit, but looking at what came before it and what was heaped onto it with the Phoenix, I honestly think it could have been a lot worse than what it was, I just think that the Phoenix itself should be left out of the films if the entire movie isn't going to be centered around it.

The other problem that the X-Men movies have face when trying to adapt a famous storyline is that said storyline is usually HUGE in comparison to other arcs in other comic titles. The average comic book arc goes from anywhere of 4-6 issues before being resolved, the X-Men though had MASSIVE arcs that would go on two to three times that length and even then might not be fully resolved. So to try and take that amount of information and condense it into a 2 1/2 hr long movie is really just not going to work. The first two X-Men worked because they were in essence original stories, Last Stand faltered because it mixed the Phoenix with a couple smaller arcs, First Class worked since it was original, Days was okay but a bit muddled with multiple storylines crossing along with characters having new powers that they didn't have either in the comics or movies, and this was sort of the same in that it used characters and chunks of story to create a film, but there was too much information to process down.

Now with there being talk of a Deadpool crossover along with an X-Force movie, I really hope they go back to fleshing out new stories rather than try to use a huge arc from the comics, because that won't end as well as it could.

2elbgxt.jpg

what would a iron chef canada be like eh?

Ohh never mind that's been done.

23m8le0.jpg

Its a full on cooking battle like you've never before in iron chef kitchen stadium.

I'm sorry but Jubilee might be the lamest X-Man of all time, due to the fact that her power was basically magical jazz hands. Yet for some reason when they made her a focal point of the first couple seasons of the X-Men cartoon she was basically the mutant version of Wesley Crusher, worthless to the team overall but somehow the one who ended up solving the issue they were having. Regarding the age difference between Jean and Wolverine, if I remember right due to his healing ability he ages a lot slower than anyone else and was over a hundred years old by the time he entered Weapon X. Many people give the Last Stand a lot of shit, but looking at what came before it and what was heaped onto it with the Phoenix, I honestly think it could have been a lot worse than what it was, I just think that the Phoenix itself should be left out of the films if the entire movie isn't going to be centered around it.

The other problem that the X-Men movies have face when trying to adapt a famous storyline is that said storyline is usually HUGE in comparison to other arcs in other comic titles. The average comic book arc goes from anywhere of 4-6 issues before being resolved, the X-Men though had MASSIVE arcs that would go on two to three times that length and even then might not be fully resolved. So to try and take that amount of information and condense it into a 2 1/2 hr long movie is really just not going to work. The first two X-Men worked because they were in essence original stories, Last Stand faltered because it mixed the Phoenix with a couple smaller arcs, First Class worked since it was original, Days was okay but a bit muddled with multiple storylines crossing along with characters having new powers that they didn't have either in the comics or movies, and this was sort of the same in that it used characters and chunks of story to create a film, but there was too much information to process down.

Now with there being talk of a Deadpool crossover along with an X-Force movie, I really hope they go back to fleshing out new stories rather than try to use a huge arc from the comics, because that won't end as well as it could.

THANKS CLAREMONT

Mutantmassacremap_01.JPG

• Like 1

THANKS CLAREMONT

Mutantmassacremap_01.JPG

Yeah Marvel's crossovers have gotten ridiculous, though they aren't as bad as what they used to be in the above image. Now at least the crossover is put into one book in a decent order for you to read. Though the Black Vortex crossover between the X-Men and Guardians of the Galaxy was a mess. Unfortunately Marvel uses these collections as an excuse to gouge the hell out of readers. The Secret Wars collection which just came out a couple months ago was at least $50 if you were buying in a store and the Original Sin collection was $70, so thank god I have Amazon Prime to save myself an assload of money. Another unfortunate side effect of constant crossovers are the side stories that are also released. Secret Wars had 43 side books released for that crossover, and while most were pretty good, the ones that stunk (Age of Apocalypse and Spider-Island, in particular) were god awful. Plus trying to get your loyal readers to shell out almost $600 dollars for paperbacks is ridiculous even by Marvel standards.

Ohh never mind that's been done.

23m8le0.jpg

Its a full on cooking battle like you've never before in iron chef kitchen stadium.

Wouldn't "America" technically include Cananda? North America?

I'm sorry but Jubilee might be the lamest X-Man of all time, due to the fact that her power was basically magical jazz hands. Yet for some reason when they made her a focal point of the first couple seasons of the X-Men cartoon she was basically the mutant version of Wesley Crusher, worthless to the team overall but somehow the one who ended up solving the issue they were having.

But for a little girl in the early 90s who not only loves superheroes but also sparkles and princesses Jubilee was a HUGE fuckin deal and really brought me in to the series to then care about the others. Rogue was always and still is my absolute favorite but I loved Jubilee and I still love her.

So basically

tumblr_m9aem43NNe1qmemweo2_250.gif

Regarding the age difference between Jean and Wolverine, if I remember right due to his healing ability he ages a lot slower than anyone else and was over a hundred years old by the time he entered Weapon X.

.......You know that makes the age difference worse, right? Like I knew he was supposed to be in his 80s-120s~ and that's why I said I wasn't sure where this was on his timeline because of that slowed aging process. I don't give a flying fuck if he looks like 40 year old Hugh until he's in his 200s it's not okay to have them spark something with a fucking 16 year old.

• Like 5

I haven't seen the new Xmen yet, but I don't mind spoilers (I seek them out sometimes actually. So I ain't even mad.) and between you guys and "Half in the Bag" talking about the Jean Grey and Wolverine moment, it sounds like a weird pedo version of twilight...which sounds like a synopsis for a great, uncomfortable horror movie.

Also Storm was my favorite for a long time when I was a kid, and Jubilee became my favorite as a tween and Mystique when I was a teen, but then, didn't we all want that power as a teenager?

• Like 2

But for a little girl in the early 90s who not only loves superheroes but also sparkles and princesses Jubilee was a HUGE fuckin deal and really brought me in to the series to then care about the others. Rogue was always and still is my absolute favorite but I loved Jubilee and I still love her.

So basically

tumblr_m9aem43NNe1qmemweo2_250.gif

But doesn't it go about the wrong way of trying to bring a female audience into comics, especially with a cast of characters as diverse as the X-Men? I mean back then it was basically Marvel saying "well we have these great, strong characters in Storm, Jean, and Rogue, who are three dimensional should we make one or more of them the focal point? Nah let's just go with a mallrat that shoots sparkles from her fingertips, that's all girls care about." Unfortunately the only character that has survived with an inkling of non-doucheyness is Storm who has taken the place of Professor X and Wolverine as headmistress of the school, while Rogue is a bipolar psychopath and Jean is a eavesdropping witch who doesn't know when to not read people's minds and worse, tells everyone what she sees.

.......You know that makes the age difference worse, right? Like I knew he was supposed to be in his 80s-120s~ and that's why I said I wasn't sure where this was on his timeline because of that slowed aging process. I don't give a flying fuck if he looks like 40 year old Hugh until he's in his 200s it's not okay to have them spark something with a fucking 16 year old.

I didn't say it was okay I was just answering about what his age was, but I also didn't see any spark between the two in this movie, I just saw her doing her usual Jean mind opening thing and then Wolverine remembering whatever memories he had that actually shouldn't be possible since the whole X-Men Origins: Wolverine storyline was retconned with Days of Future's Past, though he might have just remembered that he had a Blockbuster movie that was REALLY overdue.

But doesn't it go about the wrong way of trying to bring a female audience into comics, especially with a cast of characters as diverse as the X-Men?

I'm going to only respond to this, because telling any woman what should bring them in to comics is tricky territory, dude. I'm not saying that maybe Marvel wasn't saying that that's all girls care about, cause we know how shitty they are still at marketing towards females. However, as someone who just said that they actually did get into comics because of a character like Jubilee, does your statement not go about this the wrong way?

I didn't say it was okay I was just answering about what his age was, but I also didn't see any spark between the two in this movie, I just saw her doing her usual Jean mind opening thing and then Wolverine remembering whatever memories he had that actually shouldn't be possible since the whole X-Men Origins: Wolverine storyline was retconned with Days of Future's Past, though he might have just remembered that he had a Blockbuster movie that was REALLY overdue.

Okay, I understand that now. I've just seen way too many people justify that scene by saying his aging process is slowed and I'm sitting here yelling about how that doesn't make it any better.

All I can say is that it made me very uncomfortable to watch knowing their history together. The way Hugh looked at her was just a little too creepy for my tastes.

• Like 2

I'm going to only respond to this, because telling any woman what should bring them in to comics is tricky territory, dude. I'm not saying that maybe Marvel wasn't saying that that's all girls care about, cause we know how shitty they are still at marketing towards females. However, as someone who just said that they actually did get into comics because of a character like Jubilee, does your statement not go about this the wrong way?

Everyone (especially every woman) is going to like different characters and identify with different characters.

I get what you're saying about Jubilee and I realize that there were female fans who liked her, but Marvel seemed to put all their eggs into that basket when trying to bring in female fans rather than spread around because it wasn't all one taste for fans. Hell the male characters were more spread around in publicity and a lot of them sucked (Morph was basically male Mystique, and Banshee just screamed real loud), but they still got a push. It's only going to get worse now because Marvel as a comic industry is spreading itself way too thin as it seems they are trying to right the errors that they made in the 90s, with over 70 new comics in this recent relaunch, most fans whether new or old are getting turned off by what they are doing, whether it's rebranding characters or trying to create new ones, which is incredibly rare. There just seems to be no happy medium in how they market because they are just going from one extreme to another.

X-Men: Apocalypse was kinda boring.

How did Jean and Magneto rebuild the school? Did they have access to a blueprint? Don't they need to mix and pour concrete? How did they hammer the nails? Are they knowledgable about installing plumbing and electrical wires?

• Like 2